Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,447 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move from Portland to SCAL and looking for neighborhoods with the best high schools. Started with Cypress (Oxford Academy, Cypress High) and Cerritos neighborhoods due to their top rated schools but not much inventory of homes (our budget is $1.2M)

We are open to explore other neighborhoods with the below criteria-
If the housing is affordable (< $1M) send my kid to good private schools
If housing is insane ( > $1M) then public schools

Please suggest if there are schools/areas we should be exploring in SCAL, other than Cypress or Cerritos

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 05:53 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Irvine

Old 04-10-2023, 09:21 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Both of my nieces attended Mission Viejo High School and my nephew is now at Trabuco Hills High School. Both schools seem good and Mission Viejo is a nice area to live in.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:02 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Both of my nieces attended Mission Viejo High School and my nephew is now at Trabuco Hills High School. Both schools seem good and Mission Viejo is a nice area to live in.
Ha! My husband graduated from Mission Viejo (back in the day) and our son is a senior at Trabuco Hills.

I agree, it is a very nice area to live in. We're happy here.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:05 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajapishan View Post
We are planning to move from Portland to SCAL and looking for neighborhoods with the best high schools. Started with Cypress (Oxford Academy, Cypress High) and Cerritos neighborhoods due to their top rated schools but not much inventory of homes (our budget is $1.2M)
Oxford Academy is not a neighborhood school. You do not get in because you live close. You have to test in and most students start in 7th grade. There are a number of limited openings after that.

Irvine is the best school district in OC and I think University is the best high school, but Irvine is not cheap; nothing is in Orange County.

Old 04-13-2023, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,447 times
That's what I'm finding out, definitely not cheap. I've reached out to Oxford academy to understand the admission process, whether where we are going to live matters at all if the admission is purely driven by tests.

Are there any other neighborhoods where home prices are comparatively cheaper compared to OC, but have good private school options? Plan is to save on home and invest in private school education if public schools aren't good.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 04-15-2023, 06:18 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
You can find condos for under 1 mil in Irvine

Old 04-18-2023, 09:47 PM

242 posts, read 250,995 times
Irvine, Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, Mission Viejo, RSM, Brea all have great public schools.

If you want a bigger house for you budget Rancho Cucamonga (above the 210) and Chino Hills are nice areas with great schools in the IE.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:50 PM

126 posts, read 59,411 times
looks like most people are recommending Irvine.

** random question here.**

I was born and raised in orange county

renting in Huntington beach.

middle class worker, houses are super expensive for me, thinking of moving out of state in the future.

how can you guys afford these, what sort of business are you guys involved in?

Old 04-20-2023, 11:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalmanzar1 View Post
looks like most people are recommending Irvine.

** random question here.**

I was born and raised in orange county

renting in Huntington beach.

middle class worker, houses are super expensive for me, thinking of moving out of state in the future.

how can you guys afford these, what sort of business are you guys involved in?
finance/medicine.

At today's interest rates, to afford a $1.5M house your HH income should be about $315,000 and would then need $300,000 down.

Honestly, my childcare costs almost as much as my mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County