Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

Coming from big cities and been studying abroad a few years, I finally settled down in OC for all the good reasons. I even lived with my aunt and uncle for several years back in 2010-2013. However, my life feels empty and unfulfilled now, feeling very very depressed. Not sure if it’s the city itself because I don’t find a lot of meaningful connections. I have a great job, a dog, and live alone. I feel like a retired munchkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 08:39 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsofAnt View Post
Do you feel fulfilled living in OC? Everyday feels the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsofAnt View Post
However, my life feels empty and unfulfilled now, feeling very very depressed. Not sure if it’s the city itself because I don’t find a lot of meaningful connections.
How is your ‘emptiness’ or depression relative to OC? Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:40 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
First off, location doesn't fix internal issues.

Second off, Orange County is so vague.

Living in Brea and Dana Point are very different lifestyles.

So if you want a beach lifestyle and you don't live near the beach...guess what I'm going to say?

Old 03-20-2023, 11:59 PM

242 posts, read 250,995 times
Don’t ask us, that’s on you.

I love living here in North OC. I like the quiet sleepy areas of YL and Anaheim Hills myself. If I want fun I can drive 20-40 mins and be there. When I get down on myself I go for a spin on my mountain bike. Helps a lot IMO. Always meet some nice folks on the trails.

Hope things get better for you

Old 03-21-2023, 12:44 AM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Refer to SNL "The Californians."

Old 03-21-2023, 11:00 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
I wouldn't say I feel fulfilled, but I enjoy life and building up a savings to take care of my in-laws. My OC-life revolves around enjoying Newport harbor, hiking through preserves, hanging out with friends and neighbors, taking care of our rescue dogs, spending a few hours at Disneyland with friends, and dining out at local favorite spots while trying a few new ones here and there.

Then we have our subscription to the Hollywood Bowl, Disney Concept Hall, our semi-annual roadtrip to Napa/Calistoga/Sonoma, and hoping on a plane for vacation. I wouldn't say that OC leaves any feelings of emptiness, but it does feel like a rat-race of folks trying to navigate the high cost of living. Personally I don't think a lot of people realize what's going on...they're just living in it and that I suppose can be the malaise or empty feeling you speak of.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:37 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
What would make it fulfilling?

Go volunteer to work for a non-profit or charity in Santa Ana!

Sometimes getting involved in the community can help to make life more fulfilling.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:32 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Volunteer at the Laguna Canyon Foundation or somewhere that interests you. You can meet a lot of ppl & do something that really matters. BUT, also…you may want to talk to your doctor about a mental health assessment or referral. SoCal MH is a big deal. Good luck & welcome!

Old 03-26-2023, 01:35 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'll take a slightly different tack here OP. While this doesn't really address the feeling of "fulfillment" (which IMHO is self driven, not imposed by one's environment), it does address the sense of sameness of everyday living. Seasonless weather. Not much variation during the year. Sure, somewhat hotter in summer cooler in winter, but for me it was very monotonous. Made it feel like time wasn't passing or that time was passing for every place outside OC. I felt left behind or stalled out. The dull consistency of the weather also made me feel like a retiree who has settled out of a more dynamic life and who only wants pleasant convenience for their remaining days instead of stimulating variation. Drove me nuts. I couldn't wait to get out and did.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-26-2023 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-26-2023, 01:37 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'll take a slightly different tack here OP. While this doesn't really address the feeling of "fulfillment" (which IMHO is self driven, not imposed by one's environment), it does address the sense of sameness of everyday living. Seasonless weather. Not much variation during the year. Sure, somewhat hotter in summer cooler in winter, but for me it was very monotonous. Made it feel like time wasn't passing or that time was passing for every place outside OC. I felt left behind or stalled out. The dull consistency of the weather also made me feel like a retiree who wants pleasant convenience instead of dynamic change. Drove me nuts. I couldn't wait to get out and did.

I thought they were enjoying their rains, floods, record snow fall, wildfires, earthquakes and tornados (which seems like plenty of variety to me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County