Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:10 PM

585 posts, read 634,119 times

Advertisements

First off, I think it sucks that this is even a concern. I think it sucks that you have to have this as a consideration in your search for a place you want to live.

I'm sorry, but I don't really care how lightly or darkly pigmented your skin is. I care about whether or not you have class and make a good, considerate, mutually respectful neighbor. I care if you have teen-agers that throw wild parties, use drugs, are disrespectful or bring other kids around who are "sketchy." I really don't care about much else.

That being said, I think the general racial description of the various cities provided by a previous poster was largely accurate. I think people prefer to be around others of their own socio-economic status rather than a similar race.

For what it is worth, one of the larger black populations in OC is in west Anaheim along the 91 freeway (I think because the 91 runs directly between two large black population communities, Compton and the Moreno Valley).

In South OC, Lake Forest seems to have the largest black population, but Irvine has a growing black workforce and population. Irvine's population seems largely apartment-based (as opposed to homeowners), and there is a fairly strong non-AME church that has a largely black congregation. I don't recall the name of denomination, but there are usually OC Register articles about the church during black history month.

I would try to avoid the traditionally "service-industry" white areas of San Clemente and Huntington Beach to avoid any undesirable and ignorant attention.

I hope you find an area in which you are both comfortable and happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:36 PM

283 posts, read 625,759 times
Irvine is the best spot in OC for your scenario. Progressive politics, plenty of job opportunities and a relatively new housing stock. Great place for African-American's to settle. Don't make the mistake of boxing yourself into an area with a long commute. Irvine is your choice!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
The only problem with Irvine is expensive. Tustin and Orange maybe better, price wise.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:34 PM

108 posts, read 290,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post

I would try to avoid the traditionally "service-industry" white areas of San Clemente and Huntington Beach to avoid any undesirable and ignorant attention.
I agree with this quote for the original poster, particularly Huntington Beach. Enough uneducated white meat-heads living there that I avoided moving to that city.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
There are active hate groups all over the place—all over the world. People involved almost always have some unresolved personal problem, and they are greatly outnumbered by decent people with better things to do.

I don't recall all of the details of the so-called KKK rally in Anaheim. If my memory serves me right, there were a dozen or fewer KKK people and 100 counter-demonstrators. Several were arrested, and I think more of the counter-demonstrators were arrested than 'klansmen.'

We have KKK and Neo-Nazis here in Chicago too—and Chicago is a heck of a lot more 'liberal' than Orange County. If people want to live in fear and paranoia, more power to them. Meanwhile, confident people will enjoy the sport and journey that is life.
I haven't lived in Chicago or the O.C. but looking at how segregated the Windy City is, that liberal label is somewhat overstated. I still remember taking a taxi and the driver was a East European female immigrant who also lived first in Alabama of all places. She stated was surprised that Chicago was as divided by ethnicity as it was, with most minorities on the southside and westside. Moreover, I read an article within the past two years that African-American's are leaving the city at a higher rate than others residents.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Finally, I'd have to wonder why a black family would want to live in an all white neighborhood. Even wealthy blacks prefer to live in black neighborhoods. An analysis of Northern New Jersey by the Newark Star-Ledger found a trend. Of the 13,000 black families in the area making more than $114,000 per year—which put them in the top fifth on the state’s income scale—two thirds chose to live in mostly black neighborhoods.(One argument blacks give for living in black areas is that this guarantees black political representation.)]
There are some decent black towns in NNJ like Englewood, and Teaneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Here is a basic breakdown of the demographics of Orange County cities:

Anaheim -- majority Latino, some White (lots of Arabs)
Buena Park -- mixed Latino and Asian
Las Palmas -- majority Latino
La Habra -- majority Latino
Fullerton -- mixed Latino and Asian, some White
Irvine -- majority Asian, some Whites
Mission Viejo -- majority White, some Latinos and Asians
San Juan Capistrano -- majority White, some Asians
Rancho Santa Margarita -- majority White, some Asians
Santa Ana -- majority Latino
Garden Grove -- majority Asian
Fountain Valley -- mixed Asian and White
Westminster -- majority Asian
Los Alomitos -- mixed White and Asian
Costa Mesa -- mixed White and Latino
Seal Beach -- majority White
Cypress -- mixed Asian and Latino
Orange -- mixed Asian and Latino, some Whites
Newport Beach -- majority White (probably the WASPiest of all)
Dana Point -- majority White
Laguna Beach -- majority White
Laguna Niguel -- majority White, some Asians
San Clemente -- majority White
Huntington Beach -- majority White, some Latinos and Asians
What about Stanton? I stayed at the Stanton Inn once. Are these asians a mix of all the Asians or just Vietnamese? I hear there is a lot of Vietnames in OC.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 AM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There are some decent black towns in NNJ like Englewood, and Teaneck.

What about Stanton? I stayed at the Stanton Inn once. Are these asians a mix of all the Asians or just Vietnamese? I hear there is a lot of Vietnames in OC.
First off, just to put it out there, unless you are a first generation immigrant, most people avoid living in Stanton. I would venture to say that Stanton might be Orange County's least desirable city. I do not think too many would argue with that commonly-held opinion.

That being said, there are many Asians in OC. They are from (or their ancestors are from) many different Asian countries. In my humble not-Asian opinion, you are going to find these generalities largely apply:

There are many Chinese and Korean in Irvine, with a smattering of Vietnamese and a very few Japanese. There are also Indian (as in India) folks concentrated in some areas.

There many Vietnamese in the Westminster, Garden Grove, Stanton, and east Santa Ana areas. They do not call Westminster "Little Saigon" for nothing.

There seem to be a significant population of Koreans in the Fullerton area.

There is a significant population of Korean and Chinese descended people in the La Habra, and Rowland Height / Hacienda Heights areas (the north border spillover area between OC and L.A County's San Gabriel Valley).

There is a significant population of Chinese and some remnants of an older Japanese population throughout the rest of Los Angeles' San Gabriel Valley.

There is a large population of Indian and Philippine heritage people in the ABC area (Artesia, Bellflower, and Cerritos) in L.A. County where it borders OC's western border.

Further west than OC, you will find significant Cambodian and Samoan (I know, not Asian, however since the Pacific Islands lie between the U.S. and Asia, I am pointing it out) populations in Long Beach (and especially the Carson area for Samoans).

You will find Asians from various countries well spread out throughout both Los Angeles, Orange, and into the Inland Empire counties.

Hope this helps some.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
I'm a New Jerseyan, I have family members in California, especially Southern California and they have always told me that OC is too "provincial, too white, too suburban".

They claim that OC's Republicanism and the "Orange Curtain" doesn't want realtors selling homes to black people on to this day, despite the end of Republicanism in OC in 2018.

Is this true? Would a black middle class family be accepted in OC today?
I'm an old white guy (60) and my wife is originally from the Philippines. We'd be happy to be friends with you.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
I'm a New Jerseyan, I have family members in California, especially Southern California and they have always told me that OC is too "provincial, too white, too suburban".

They claim that OC's Republicanism and the "Orange Curtain" doesn't want realtors selling homes to black people on to this day, despite the end of Republicanism in OC in 2018.

Is this true? Would a black middle class family be accepted in OC today?

Yes, for most OC areas you will be absolutely fine. Of course there are pockets that might have its share of bad apples (skinheads, etc) but that applies to LA county as well.

also, I wouldn't automatically associate "republicanism" with racists. I know the media loves stoking that fire but the truth is that there are both wonderful people and scumbags from both the right and left.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 AM

1,203 posts, read 666,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
You're gonna get "the eye" from people, no doubt, but it probably won't be from what you think of as White people (the blonde, blue eyed, Anglo-Nordic type), as the other posters have told you.

Orange County is only a plurality White, anymore. And most of those Whites live in South Orange County (Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, San Clemente). A few live in the north Orange County cities of Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda and Brea still. And, keep in mind, many of Orange County's "Whites" are ethnic Whites and many are foreign (Persians, Arabs, Lebanese, Syrians, Armenians). A lot of these Ethnic Whites are very territorial about their communities and keeping them safe, no different than the Irish, Russians and Italians of yesteryear.

The only city with an Old Money, traditional WASP-Nordic/Anglo population is Newport Beach, I believe. But, even there, a lot of the Whites will be foreign or first-generation.

Together, though, Latinos and Asians make up the majority of Orange County now. And, they -- along with the Ethnic Whites --have no reservations about letting you know you aren't welcomed in their cities.

Here is a basic breakdown of the demographics of Orange County cities:

Anaheim -- majority Latino, some White (lots of Arabs)
Buena Park -- mixed Latino and Asian
Las Palmas -- majority Latino
La Habra -- majority Latino
Fullerton -- mixed Latino and Asian, some White
Irvine -- majority Asian, some Whites
Mission Viejo -- majority White, some Latinos and Asians
San Juan Capistrano -- majority White, some Asians
Rancho Santa Margarita -- majority White, some Asians
Santa Ana -- majority Latino
Garden Grove -- majority Asian
Fountain Valley -- mixed Asian and White
Westminster -- majority Asian
Los Alomitos -- mixed White and Asian
Costa Mesa -- mixed White and Latino
Seal Beach -- majority White
Cypress -- mixed Asian and Latino
Orange -- mixed Asian and Latino, some Whites
Newport Beach -- majority White (probably the WASPiest of all)
Dana Point -- majority White
Laguna Beach -- majority White
Laguna Niguel -- majority White, some Asians
San Clemente -- majority White
Huntington Beach -- majority White, some Latinos and Asians
Interesting people portray demographics in cities that aren't really based on facts but more on perception and stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County