Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 13,108 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to Scottsdale, AZ three years ago. After spending some time around Laguna Niguel/Dana Point, we are really considering relocation. After living in Florida for twelve years, we realize we really miss the beach. There is something about salt water air that is soooooo therapeutic. Diversity and some culture would be nice. As well as, I know no one has really mentioned this in the forums, but fresh organic produce with farmers markets, along with a few vegetarian restaurants (there is only one in all of Scottsdale). We are a little hesitant not knowing what the schools are like. I have twin girl fourth graders, which by the time we would relocate, would probably be starting fifth or sixth grade. They are in a self contained gifted program in our school , which we feel really fortunate to be a part of. We love hiking, being outside, jogging, biking..... My husband just has to commute to John Wayne for work. Has anyone relocated from AZ? I feel materialism/crime rate would be very similar to what it is here (Scottsdale is known as the "little LA" with air quality and all), am I wrong? Is it total suburbia there? Does it have a family vibe? How are property taxes? Any input on Middle/high schools in the area? Any input would greatly be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 05:05 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Scottsdale would be more compareable to a Huntington Beach or Costa Mesa. Huntington and Costa Mesa have nightlife, malls, shopping, and professional offices as does Scottsdale. Laguna Hills is more like a family environment with some strip malls and doctor's offices. If you are looking for diversity, look in LA County. You are looking in about the white-est part of Southern California and the most republican county in the USA. We go to the gym, get facials, surf, and wash our mercedes benz's on Sundays-(kidding!)

As for your question on vegetarian food. This is the place to be for healthy food. There is AN amazing vegetarian food restaurant in Costa Mesa. ..A good one in Huntington too-Mother's Food. Groceries-Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Mom and Pop stores, and Mother's Stores.

Taxes are well this is California the blue state and we LOOOVE our taxes. Sales tax is 8.5% give or take. Property taxes aren't too bad. Remember this is Conservativeville, USA.

There is very little crime, and Laguna Hills is one of the most ideal place's in the country to raise a family. The school district is Capistrano Unified. The high school is Laguna Hills High School. All good schools. New facilities, up-to-date computers, and high parent involvement.

Last month, principals cancelled their middle school dances--due to "grinding" or dancing too close. This may reflect a parent problem-rather than the school system. Parents probably should be the one's stepping in. I hope I gave you a sense for the school area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagirl View Post
My husband and I relocated to Scottsdale, AZ three years ago. After spending some time around Laguna Niguel/Dana Point, we are really considering relocation. After living in Florida for twelve years, we realize we really miss the beach. There is something about salt water air that is soooooo therapeutic. Diversity and some culture would be nice. As well as, I know no one has really mentioned this in the forums, but fresh organic produce with farmers markets, along with a few vegetarian restaurants (there is only one in all of Scottsdale). We are a little hesitant not knowing what the schools are like. I have twin girl fourth graders, which by the time we would relocate, would probably be starting fifth or sixth grade. They are in a self contained gifted program in our school , which we feel really fortunate to be a part of. We love hiking, being outside, jogging, biking..... My husband just has to commute to John Wayne for work. Has anyone relocated from AZ? I feel materialism/crime rate would be very similar to what it is here (Scottsdale is known as the "little LA" with air quality and all), am I wrong? Is it total suburbia there? Does it have a family vibe? How are property taxes? Any input on Middle/high schools in the area? Any input would greatly be appreciated!!

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 11-26-2006 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 13,108 times
Default Laguna area

Thank you Newportbeachmostwanted, your response does help. Laguna Hills does sound very family oriented. I guess if you wanted a taste of diversity, at least you have the option of traveling bumper to bumper up the 405 for three of so hours to LA county.

Is it fairly easy to manuever around to the areas you described such as Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa from the Laguna Hills area?

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:36 PM

853 posts, read 3,813,857 times
You can use city streets rather than freeways through much of that part of Orange County. Area is pretty suburban, although Huntington and Seal beaches have cute downtowns. You can even look for a rental in Balboa if you're centering on John Wayne.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,551 times
Hi Yogagirl

I live and work in Dana Point and, you are right this is the perfect climate.

If you want more info on schools goto the Capo School District website to find out about our schools. We have a number of "Blue Ribbon schools" and "Distinguished Schools" in the immediate neighborhood.

http://www.capousd.org/index.htm

Also try:
http://www.greatschools.net/schools....t=467&state=CA

And commuting to John Wayne is a breeze these days with the 73 Toll Road.
If you get a transponder and use the prepay option you will save on tolls.
http://www.thetollroads.com/home/maps.htm#sjh (broken link)

Hope that helps.

Please email if you need any other info.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County