Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 02:19 PM

689 posts, read 638,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Dweller View Post
Hello,

Recently moved to Irvine from NYC. I'm actually bicoastal since I travel back and forth from NYC to Irvine at least twice a month.

I've been here for 3 months and is it a shocker. I enjoy the cleanliness and well kept streets but definitely lacks a quaint downtown with shops, mom & pops restaurants & bars.

I believe I've explored most of Irvine but never came across a section with sidewalks, storefronts & general entertainment. Am I missing something or does that not exist here? Seems like everything is in a strip mall or shopping center.

Please let me know if there are places that I should check out.
I've lived in Irvine for many years. Irvine is a planned city (with a few micro-pockets of disorder). Much of Irvine is governed by HOAs which provide a degree of stability in terms of appearance. Most neighborhoods in Irvine look nice. You'll find very little that's unstructured. Even the strip malls look nice. You won't find a typical "urban scene." It's just not there. Outside of Irvine, you can find quaint walkable areas such as the core of Laguna Beach, or downtown San Clemente. Nothing like NYC.

Our public transportation is next to non-existent. This is an area for cars. Yes there are bike paths all over but, personally, I would avoid biking on major roads here.

Some like it. Some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 03:03 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Move to the coastal cities. Irvine is for families and is boring. But it works.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:58 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I guess one could go to the Spectrum Shopping Mall for things the OP is looking for:
https://www.irvinespectrumcenter.com/

NYC is so very different than Orange County from my experiences (having traveled back and fore myself).

Old 06-22-2023, 09:48 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Thread is 8 years old. I imagine OP's either gotten used to it or moved away.

My impression of Irvine is large boulevards lined by trees, subdivisions, strip malls and office parks hidden behind walls. I don't really like it. I'm a fan of suburban spaces, but that choice makes an area seem uninviting and deader than it actually is.

If you go back to post-war suburbia, there was a more blended approach where subdivisions and their adjacent areas were more integrated and the transition more gradual. I feel like that's closer to the suburban ideal.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:37 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
I can understand why one might compare/contrast NYC to LA, but NYC to Irvine? Not so much.:-)

Old 06-24-2023, 11:52 AM

1,397 posts, read 676,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Since you are from NYC, if you really want to explore, you can take Amtrak or Metrolink commuter trains to LA Union Station and explore Downtown LA, Wilshire Center/Koreatown, Los Feliz District, Hollywood, South Pasadena (a personal favorite), Pasadena, Long Beach, Clairemont, Downtown Culver City and by early next year, Santa Monica--all accessible by rail public transit.
Just for clarification, the L.A. County city served by Metrolink is Claremont.

Clairemont is a neighborhood of San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County