Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM

57 posts, read 98,429 times

Advertisements

Hi-
I know my way around Disneyworld in Florida, but I was only at Disneyland once in 1978!!!!!

Now that we live here in So Cal, We were thinking of spending a day at DW soon, since it is only 30 miles away.
I am trying to figure out what parks are there now and costs, parking, etc. The website is so overly detailed, I can barely figure out what I am looking for. And my computer (internet) has been lagging for the past week, it is driving me crazy--some pages taking 20-30 seconds to load! It isn't my internet company because my son and husband have no problems with their connection. Any, just trying to navigate the website is taking so long, I am getting frustrated! The website is so involved with trying to sell me a vacation plan and other things I do not want I am losing the "DISNEY" love! LOL!

Can anyone locals tell me, Do you enter the area at one place, or are there various entrances for the different parks? It has changed a lot I think since 1978. I was looking at the passes, but most of the weekends are blackout dates! Hardly seems worth it. What is a good day to go, not that school is back in session and the tourists are gone. What do you recommend as the best area to go this first time? No small kids so the Magic Kingdom would probably be on the bottom of the list. (Do they have a Magic Kingdom like Florida---with the mostly kiddie rides?)

Whatever opinions anyone from So Cal can tell me will be appreciated.

Thanks Neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
Two parks with entrances in the same area(they face each other in a very large courtyard basically). Park in the parking structure and take the tram to the entrance area.

California Adventure is the smaller of the parks and is fairly new, but has some interesting things to do. It has the best rollercoaster of the two parks, some nice places to eat, a Toy Story ride that is fun(even as an adult), and the Tower of Terror. Otherwise, it isn't that remarkable.

Disneyland has two kids areas, basically. Toontown and the area behind the castle. There's a lot more to do, though. Tomorrowland, Frontierland, etc. It probably hasn't changed that much since 1978, but there are new rides and such. Toontown is probably the only new area since then, I'd imagine.

As far as tickets, a lot of large businesses will sell discount tickets, which is the best route. Otherwise, grocery stores sometimes sell the tickets for a pretty good price. If you want to go to both places you'll want a park-hopper pass. They sell single day passes and multiday.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Disney/Universal Studio

Thanks for your quick reply!

Do you think we would have a better time at Disney or Universal?
Universal would be a longer car ride, but that is ok. We are in our early 50's.
We really liked Universal in Florida a few years ago.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Train View Post
Thanks for your quick reply!

Do you think we would have a better time at Disney or Universal?
Universal would be a longer car ride, but that is ok. We are in our early 50's.
We really liked Universal in Florida a few years ago.

there really is no comparision...however..if you have been to Disneyworld Orlando...Disneyland is a much smaller version...

Universal is fun..not as interesting to small kids,,less rides..but older folks enjoy it...you can do Universal in one day...Disneyland minimum of two..to cover both parks..and that is very expensive...friends of ours came out from the East..family of 5..cost them over 600 bucks for passes to both parks..not including food of course..

another money saving tip...if you have AAA you can save maybe 10 percent..

good luck..

Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
there really is no comparision...however..if you have been to Disneyworld Orlando...Disneyland is a much smaller version...

Universal is fun..not as interesting to small kids,,less rides..but older folks enjoy it...you can do Universal in one day...Disneyland minimum of two..to cover both parks..and that is very expensive...friends of ours came out from the East..family of 5..cost them over 600 bucks for passes to both parks..not including food of course..

another money saving tip...if you have AAA you can save maybe 10 percent..

good luck..

might want to consider Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park..you can do that in one day

you would have to check their website tho for details..

Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Train View Post
Hi-
I know my way around Disneyworld in Florida, but I was only at Disneyland once in 1978!!!!!

Now that we live here in So Cal, We were thinking of spending a day at DW soon, since it is only 30 miles away.
I am trying to figure out what parks are there now and costs, parking, etc. The website is so overly detailed, I can barely figure out what I am looking for. And my computer (internet) has been lagging for the past week, it is driving me crazy--some pages taking 20-30 seconds to load! It isn't my internet company because my son and husband have no problems with their connection. Any, just trying to navigate the website is taking so long, I am getting frustrated! The website is so involved with trying to sell me a vacation plan and other things I do not want I am losing the "DISNEY" love! LOL!

Can anyone locals tell me, Do you enter the area at one place, or are there various entrances for the different parks? It has changed a lot I think since 1978. I was looking at the passes, but most of the weekends are blackout dates! Hardly seems worth it. What is a good day to go, not that school is back in session and the tourists are gone. What do you recommend as the best area to go this first time? No small kids so the Magic Kingdom would probably be on the bottom of the list. (Do they have a Magic Kingdom like Florida---with the mostly kiddie rides?)

Whatever opinions anyone from So Cal can tell me will be appreciated.

Thanks Neighbors!
DL resort is not like WDW, it is much more compact. Disneyland and California Adventure face each other across a large entrance court You park in one place and can do both parks from there. Add in the connected Downtown disney enteraiment plaza and a few DIS owned hotels right across the street and that is the whole resort. I've heard the whole thing in CA fits into the main WDW park in FL

Best days to go are tuesday-thursday when school is in session. There is an upsurge in parkgoers in the afternoon as annual passholders get off fom school/work and visit the parks, so do the highy popular rides - Indiana Jones, Hanted Mansion, Nemo subs, etc, - in the A.M. DO NOT go during the Winter holiday season or weekends in the summer. Not sure how "kiddie" the FL magic Kingdom is, but everytime I go to Disneyland it is packed with teenagers who all seem to be having fun, so I think there is something for every age there

There are a couple different forums similar to CD dedicated to all things Disney. Do a google & you'll find them. The disney fans there (and many of them are totally into it - like scary into disney) would be able to answer any possible question you may have.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks everyone for your great answers!!!

I knew you would all be helpful.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Check this out:

RideMax - Planning Software for Walt Disney World and Disneyland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County