Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Yes but in proportion to the increase in population.
I haven't looked up the statistics on Lexington that should be on the FBI's crime statistics website. My information is from friends and relatives living in the area not scientific.. However feel free to do so and if I am WRONG about Lexington crime rate NOT rising out of proportion to the increase in population PLEASE post it here. If I am exaggerating let me know.
GL2
You are not exaggerating. See my response in the Nebraska Forum to someone asking if they should move to Lexington. I lived there and owned a house from 79-81 and worked for Sperry New Holland which is now the meat packing plant. I am also a life long friend of the chief of police in Lexington. You are spot on with your info. It went from a very nice small town to a toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I have some even more sad news. Nebraska, as a state, has the highest Black homicide rate in the nation.

Nebraska has the highest black homicide rate in U.S., national group says - Omaha.com

Nebraska Ranks #1 for Black Homicide Victimization Rate (01/23/2014)

I've done some more research into this. One thing I've noticed is that the Black homicide rate in Nebraska is just one part of a larger problem. The Black homicide rate highlights alot of contrasts within Nebraska. And it is stuff that few people ever imagine.

-Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. It has a low White unemployment rate, among the lowest in the nation. It has a strong economy, especially in the energy sector. However, it has one of the highest Black unemployment rates in the nation.

-Omaha has the 5th highest poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has the highest child poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has 2nd highest economic disparity between Blacks and Whites in the USA.
-Nebraska has the 3rd lowest high school graduation rate among Black males

The Black homicide rate in Nebraska is small part of many other problems that plague the Black population in Nebraska. And in some ways, it represents a stark contrast between the White population in Nebraska and the Black population in Nebraska.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have some even more sad news. Nebraska, as a state, has the highest Black homicide rate in the nation.

Nebraska has the highest black homicide rate in U.S., national group says - Omaha.com

Nebraska Ranks #1 for Black Homicide Victimization Rate (01/23/2014)

I've done some more research into this. One thing I've noticed is that the Black homicide rate in Nebraska is just one part of a larger problem. The Black homicide rate highlights alot of contrasts within Nebraska. And it is stuff that few people ever imagine.

-Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. It has a low White unemployment rate, among the lowest in the nation. It has a strong economy, especially in the energy sector. However, it has one of the highest Black unemployment rates in the nation.

-Omaha has the 5th highest poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has the highest child poverty rate among Blacks in the USA.
-Omaha has 2nd highest economic disparity between Blacks and Whites in the USA.
-Nebraska has the 3rd lowest high school graduation rate among Black males

The Black homicide rate in Nebraska is small part of many other problems that plague the Black population in Nebraska. And in some ways, it represents a stark contrast between the White population in Nebraska and the Black population in Nebraska.

Funny its you posting this, after you ran from my last post calling you out that you refused to answer.
I live in Omaha, West O is great, North O is wrecked.
Nebraska does have a low unemployment rate, but its not a state where anybody is going to carry a job offer to your house.
You have to seek it. And there, my friends, is the problem.
OP, do you live in Omaha, or are you just pasting links?
Because, i see and recognize the problem Omaha has. Too many politicians lying about the numbers, for one. Dumbass libs and their votors buying it, for another.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM

In addition to the last post, there is something else to consider. Cities such as Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston have higher murder rates than Omaha. However, Blacks in those cities have lower Black homicide rates, and seem to fair much better in those cities as far as economics goes. Atlanta has an unemployment far higher than Omaha. However, the economic disparity between Blacks and Whites in Atlanta is not as intense.

Consider this:

Cedar Hill,TX, suburb of Dallas: https://www.city-data.com/city/Cedar-Hill-Texas.html
51% Black, Crime Index of 257.4, which is below the national average. average median household income: $62,527

Missouri City,TX, suburb of Houston: https://www.city-data.com/city/Missouri-City-Texas.html
41% Black, crime index of 134.5, average median household income of: $80,688

It leaves many questions to consider. Why are Blacks doing better in cities like Dallas and Houston, but relatively poorly in Omaha and Milwaukee?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
Failure To Launch

Old 02-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Failure To Launch
What is "failure to launch"?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times
Failure to launch refers to the concept of someone failing to develop marketable skills during their formative years. They then end up being a drain on society, often living with parents, smoking cigarettes, playing video games, watching netflix, and having no motivation for productive activities.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Failure to launch refers to the concept of someone failing to develop marketable skills during their formative years. They then end up being a drain on society, often living with parents, smoking cigarettes, playing video games, watching netflix, and having no motivation for productive activities.
That can happen anywhere. And that is starting to happen with college graduates.

All that aside, one major thing about what has been mentioned about Omaha, and the Black homicide rate is this. Obviously, gangs, unemployment, broken homes.

However, the thing is, Omaha seems to pop out. No one would expect the Black homicide rate to be so bad in Nebraska. 82% White, 4.5% Black, and a conservative state with a decidedly low crime rate(although Nebraska has one of highest rates of rape in the USA). In Omaha, Blacks make up 12-13% of the population.

I live in the suburbs of Atlanta. The perception of Nebraska around Georgia might be that of "lilly White", "flat", and "farms". And when Omaha is mention, that of a "cow town" and "lilly White". If I were to present to someone where I live that Nebraska has the highest Black homicide rate in the USA, some people would look at me like "what?", or "Nebraska? Are there any Black people in Nebraska"?

When "highest Black homicide rate" is thought about, I would surmise that many people think about Philadelphia, Chicago, or even Atlanta, as far as major cities are concerned. When it comes to states, many might think of Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, or Louisiana. Now, Louisiana and Michigan would make sense because Detroit and New Orleans are there, and those states have the top 10 highest Black homicide rates in the nation. Pennsylvania too.

However, Nebraska stands out the most, mainly because of the perception of Nebraska. Nebraska isn't perceived the same way Michigan or Pennsylvania is perceived. Omaha is not perceived the same way that Detroit, New Orleans, or Chicago is. Omaha,and Nebraska are perceived in a similar way as South Dakota or other Great Plains states. For that reason, Nebraska and Omaha sticks out.

It leaves this to think about. Nebraska has a low unemployment rate, low crime rate, and a strong economy. However, the Black population in Nebraska is doing far worse economically than Black populations in other states. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta have higher crime rates. While Dallas and Houston have decent economies, Atlanta has a bad economy, with an unemployment around 10%. However, Blacks in Atlanta are doing better than Blacks in Omaha. Blacks in Dallas and Houston and doing quite well compared to Blacks in Omaha. In fact, I posted links of suburban areas with large Black populations, low crime rates, and high incomes. It has to be looked at state to state, city to city. Nebraska has one of the highest Black high school dropout rates in the nation. However, Arizona has one of the lowest Black high school dropout rates in the nation. What is the dynamic from state to state?

Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times
In regard to the unemployment rate in Omaha, those figures only include people who are actively looking for work. It excludes the "failure to launch" people or gang members who are not even looking. So in reality, Omaha's unemployment rate is far less impressive than the numbers indicate.

Last edited by MountainMen; 02-25-2014 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
In regard to the unemployment rate in Omaha, those figures only include people who are actively looking for work. It excludes the "failure to launch" people or gang members who are not even looking. So in reality, Omaha's unemployment rate is far less impressive than the numbers indicate.
Even so, there is still a very stark disparity to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha