Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pm Happy. Just been so busy lately. I am interested to see what the history of scientology in Omaha is after finding only one obscure article on the web. I did not want this thread to turn into a bunch of grade school flames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrich98 View Post
Did you get any response to this? Doesn't seem like this forum is visited by anyone other than the standard Evangelical Protestant types...
Dsrich,

YOU were the one who started judging and stereotyping here. So be for judging everyone else for being close minded you might want to look in the mirror.

Further, Scientology was founded in the 20th century by a SCIENCE FICTION writer!! Do you really truly think that someone born in Tilden, NE possesses the path to enlightenment? The guy was a science fiction writer. He developed a belief system suggesting that the souls of aliens came to Earth. He made millions and millions by developing this "belief system" and his theories were for the most part held from public scrutiny, as the general tenants were not revealed to "followers" until they had invested large amounts of time and money. You don't see a problem with this???

Rather, instead of applying Occam's Razor and recognizing that L. Ron Hubbard is one of the biggest fraud's in recent history, you seem to think it incorrect for people to cast suspicion on this cult.

As a disclaimer: I'm agnostic. So you can can the "everyone else religion is crazy" rhetoric.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:53 PM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Dsrich,

YOU were the one who started judging and stereotyping here. So be for judging everyone else for being close minded you might want to look in the mirror.

Further, Scientology was founded in the 20th century by a SCIENCE FICTION writer!! Do you really truly think that someone born in Tilden, NE possesses the path to enlightenment? The guy was a science fiction writer. He developed a belief system suggesting that the souls of aliens came to Earth. He made millions and millions by developing this "belief system" and his theories were for the most part held from public scrutiny, as the general tenants were not revealed to "followers" until they had invested large amounts of time and money. You don't see a problem with this???

Rather, instead of applying Occam's Razor and recognizing that L. Ron Hubbard is one of the biggest fraud's in recent history, you seem to think it incorrect for people to cast suspicion on this cult.

As a disclaimer: I'm agnostic. So you can can the "everyone else religion is crazy" rhetoric.

Ok, sorry for being such a jerk, I was trying to poke the bear to see what kind of reaction I would get. I admit it and sorry for acting like a troll.

Here's my disclaimer:

I am a former Christian. I spent the first 23 or so years of my life attending Church, believeing in prayer, heaven and hell, and so on. About 6 years ago through a series of realizations and thoughtful contemplation I decided to reject the idea of *God*, adn became an Atheist. While I am happy for this change it has left me bitter about the time, emotion, and energy I dedicated to what I now feel is a farce. It is very difficult for me to talk religion. What I should do is just stay away from these conversations, they only get me into trouble. But I'm drawn to them, I just can't help but stir the pot. I'm trying to do a better job of respecting others religious views since I'm told that's the right thing to do.

So I apologize for doing a hit and run job on the good people of faith on this forum. At the end of the day I will just have to accept you're all well-meaning, if not mis-guided. (IMO)

I'll refrain from any further postings in this thread out of an attempt to respect ya'll.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM

300 posts, read 1,179,558 times
L. Ron Hubbard actually said "Want to get rich? Create a religion!" And *sigh* people are STILL stupid enough to believe in it.
That makes me facepalm.
I'm annoyed by it. This bothers me: if your family denounces the religion but you don't, you cannot speak to them ever. And many many other things..... I'll just stop now.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 51,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Thanks for the pm Happy. Just been so busy lately. I am interested to see what the history of scientology in Omaha is after finding only one obscure article on the web. I did not want this thread to turn into a bunch of grade school flames.
No problem. Try this google search for more Omaha info.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=church+of+scientology+oma ha+mission&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I hope I did that link right!

Personally, I prefer www.xenu.net myself. Feel free to pm me if you want anymore information.

Old 10-06-2023, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 360 times
That quote about starting a religion to make a million was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut in one of his sci-fi books. But even still, being a sci-fi writer during the Great Depression was a pretty good job. I wouldn't kick someone for that.

Scientology is actually two subjects: Dianetics & Scientology.

Dianetics came first. If you read the book you'll see there is no reference to religion because its a study of the mind -- and how it fails. Dianetics is a method that actually proved quite workable. So workable in fact that even the military got upset that it was fixing their MK-Ultra (mind control) subjects. And certain if Psychiatry or Psychology were attacked to the degree Dianetics was they would have folded. Dianetics didn't and continues to grow simply because it actually worked. Can't argue that. Even the military got upset because it could repair their MK-Ultra (mind control) subjects. Amd people don't like to wake up to find out their own gov was brainwashing them.

Dianetics is the equivalent of what people think Psychology or Psychiatry are except that it works so well that it doesn't rely on gov funding or insurance. Psychology actually once was a religious study ("psyche"="spirit"+ "-ology"="study of") taught in seminaries before it was taken over by Wundt & Freud, when the "psyche" part was removed from its meaning.

It wasn't until years after Dianetics became popular that people started bumping into a strange phenomena that indicated one might actually be something more than just a meat body (or mud) -- like maybe a spirit+body. And that's when the name Scientology was created -- to encompass the rest of the subject.

That's all it means.

One could completely ignore Scientology and atill find Dianetics completely useful. At the very least its worth reading the book "Dianetics" just to understand what it is and what it isn't.

Or not. Doesn't bother me if someone knows less. I read everything and make my own evaluations.

I work with AI and am an expert in the field too.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:49 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnk4yourself View Post
That quote about starting a religion to make a million was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut in one of his sci-fi books. But even still, being a sci-fi writer during the Great Depression was a pretty good job. I wouldn't kick someone for that.

Scientology is actually two subjects: Dianetics & Scientology.

Dianetics came first. If you read the book you'll see there is no reference to religion because its a study of the mind -- and how it fails. Dianetics is a method that actually proved quite workable. So workable in fact that even the military got upset that it was fixing their MK-Ultra (mind control) subjects. And certain if Psychiatry or Psychology were attacked to the degree Dianetics was they would have folded. Dianetics didn't and continues to grow simply because it actually worked. Can't argue that. Even the military got upset because it could repair their MK-Ultra (mind control) subjects. Amd people don't like to wake up to find out their own gov was brainwashing them.

Dianetics is the equivalent of what people think Psychology or Psychiatry are except that it works so well that it doesn't rely on gov funding or insurance. Psychology actually once was a religious study ("psyche"="spirit"+ "-ology"="study of") taught in seminaries before it was taken over by Wundt & Freud, when the "psyche" part was removed from its meaning.

It wasn't until years after Dianetics became popular that people started bumping into a strange phenomena that indicated one might actually be something more than just a meat body (or mud) -- like maybe a spirit+body. And that's when the name Scientology was created -- to encompass the rest of the subject.

That's all it means.

One could completely ignore Scientology and atill find Dianetics completely useful. At the very least its worth reading the book "Dianetics" just to understand what it is and what it isn't.

Or not. Doesn't bother me if someone knows less. I read everything and make my own evaluations.

I work with AI and am an expert in the field too.
Glad you posted this.

That being said, the things done for financial gain plus the gang stalking of former cult members..... utterly horrific.

& Many cults do the same thing. I won't get too specific, but I experienced gang stalking from another well known cult religion's members, hence my posts here about the C of S.

Old 10-06-2023, 11:34 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
"The scientific and medical communities were critical of Dianetics — the American Psychological Association called on psychologists to not use the techniques and complaints were made against local Dianetics practitioners for allegedly practicing medicine without a license. Financial problems ensued, but despite the influx of financial support from some wealthy followers, the first foundations resulted in bankruptcy and the loss of the name and copyrights to Dianetics.

Around 1952, Hubbard went on to create Scientology, eventually regaining the rights to Dianetics which he incorporated into Scientology. Today, Dianetics is a part of Scientology and is used as a beginning promotion to new people."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...nd_Scientology

whoever started the quote about religion/money doesn't change that hubbard did indeed make reference to religion being "the way" to money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: