Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:01 AM

193 posts, read 656,342 times

Advertisements

Mercury,

Please don't avoid the all areas east of 72nd like some might suggest. Dundee, Elmwood, and the Field Club neighborhoods, just to start, are great areas (all east of 72nd). I would look there first. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurywaters View Post
i think i should add that i grew up in washington d.c.
Our mayor doesn't snort Coke. At least not that we know about...

Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 AM

7 posts, read 111,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Our mayor doesn't snort Coke. At least not that we know about...

haha! that's good to know.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:06 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurywaters View Post
haha! that's good to know.
Seriously though, I think you're going to really like Omaha.

The cost of living is much lower than some of the places you mention previously living. And it's a nice city - assuming you're not wrongly assuming that it's a major metropolis like New York City, or LA.

Welcome!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 111,642 times
nah. i know its not new york or la. all the online research i've done says there's lots to do for families and plenty of good food (i'm a chef). I just need to see and completely convince the wife to leave her mama again.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:43 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,297 times
ponca hills I largely stay away cause of the 2 creepy parks it has

though the Alpine Inn is a great place to eat up in the Ponca Hills neighborhood

so it is a mix with Ponca Hills

Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Here is what to do it is very simple, get a map of Omaha, draw a line from the top north side down along 72nd street to the south and another line from left the west side to the right east along Dodge Street. Now you have the city divided into four sections. Don't buy any property in upper right section or the lower right sections "Bad areas". The upper left section is so so. The lower left section is where you want to look for good safe area of town. Good property values.

Now I am sure folks on here will dis my directions to you, but I always tell the truth on here and folks on here get their hackles up when talking about Omaha this way. Just listen to me and you'll do just fine.
Quote:
See here we go again........Crime rates are much higher in Dundee/Mid-town, Happy Hollow, Field Club/Hanscom Park, Country Club, Gold Coast/Cathedral, Bemis Park and Fairacres than in the southwest part of town. Stay away from those area's.

The question was "Neighborhoods to stay away from?" Tell the truth people!!!!!!!!!
Sweet merciful Jesus. These are horrible posts! Please stop giving advice on where to live in Omaha, because you are downright clueless.

Mercury, here is a great post explaining some of the Omaha neighborhoods. If you click the link and read the thread it's from, you can see how horribly uninformed HappyGoLucky is regarding the parts of Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
edited: quoted someone for reference and forgot to unquote them as this post wasn't meant to be directed at them.

Benson is Benson. Florence is Florence. Neither are small towns, rather they are neighborhoods that at one time were small towns somewhat west and far north, respectively, of what was once Omaha some one hundred years ago.

Someone already mentioned this, but geographically they are in the quadrant of what is called north (lowercase n) Omaha, but they are not what is considered North (uppercase N) Omaha.

The quadrant is made up of many once-towns. East Omaha, Saratoga, Florence, Benson and parts of Dundee. Yes even parts of Dundee would be considered north Omaha if it was as simple as north of dodge, east of 72nd and we can all agree that Dundee is hardly reminiscent of what people commonly refer to and characterize as North Omaha.

Several neighborhoods dot the area as well, including: Bemis Park, Gifford Park, Gold Coast, Hillside and the very nice (much nicer than most of west Omaha) Raven Oaks.

The Near North Side is what people think of when they talk about North Omaha. This part of town lies within the boundaries of Cuming to Locust and 30th to 16th, more or less.

Benson is a great neighborhood on the southwest side near Fairacres and Dundee, but gets a bit more "rough" north of the Northwest Radial.

Florence is a beautiful neighborhood and quiet. You need to travel through some rough areas to get there, but it's very similar to southern Benson and even the more modest parts of Dundee.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but so many people cut Omaha into these convenient pieces without knowing anything about what they are talking about.

West Omaha is not nearly as congenial and happy as people want it to be and north Omaha is hardly Compton.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/3108992-post13.html

Old 07-11-2009, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 36,390 times
Question What's the verdict

How about the areas between 72-50th near center? Seems a bit older, but safe and has some character. I'm open to thoughts as I don't really know and have lived in Omaha a short time, but want to buy my first home before Nov 30, 2009

Old 07-11-2009, 04:48 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphic Artist 2008 View Post
How about the areas between 72-50th near center? Seems a bit older, but safe and has some character. I'm open to thoughts as I don't really know and have lived in Omaha a short time, but want to buy my first home before Nov 30, 2009
I had some relatives that lived in an apartment complex just west of the Center Mall/VA Hospital, which is at 42nd and Center. That's a pretty decent area in there and I never felt unsafe.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,229 times
Quote:
See here we go again........Crime rates are much higher in Dundee/Mid-town, Happy Hollow, Field Club/Hanscom Park, Country Club, Gold Coast/Cathedral, Bemis Park and Fairacres than in the southwest part of town. Stay away from those area's.

The question was "Neighborhoods to stay away from?" Tell the truth people!!!!!!!!!
Feel sorry for you because you're probably one of those people that never leaves Southwest Omaha. I grew up in North Omaha, spent a considerable amount of time in Southeast Omaha, and often visit Aksarben, Dundee, Old Market etc and never got jumped or mugged or carjacked. Your advice just shows your ignorance of this city. Who cares about crime rates? It's Omaha not South Central Los Angeles. Crime happens in Southwest Omaha, maybe not as much but if you stay out of ghetto's you'll be fine. Very few places East of 72nd are in fact ghetto's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha