Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 PM

240 posts, read 504,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Todd, W Dodge Expressway is backed up twice a day for a lenghty period of time. Not only was it needed, but in my opinion its a couple lanes short.

Rail would make no sense, west Omaha just isn't designed for rail with the current neighborhood/commercial layouts.

it doesn't matter about the current layout. park n' rides.

and with the current configuration, a lane should be designated for 2+ riders from 6-8 and 4-6 for 1 or 2 mile.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:55 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,200,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
it doesn't matter about the current layout. park n' rides.

and with the current configuration, a lane should be designated for 2+ riders from 6-8 and 4-6 for 1 or 2 mile.
(with a friend I was able to find a way to ignore kdbrich, so I am back)..

Go Ne is right, we still needed the overpass..

That said, park 'n rides do work and Omaha NEEDS to prepare not just for now, but for the future with a mass transit system..

I think that we are just weeks away from an announcement from the city about the study that has been in the works.. (Study = the best job they can come up with by the pro's..)

So in essence, we still need both the overpass and mass transit being that Omaha is a good growth city..

Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 AM

605 posts, read 1,199,297 times
Those of you posting about the overpass totally went off topic. This thread is about a gay district in Omaha. Feel free to start your own thread. Although I do appreciate any pro-gay rights posts that are made.

Speaking of a gay district, what do you think about an event center in a possible gay district, bringing GLBT performers, aka singers, comedians, and other live performers?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,693,751 times
I think it would be a waste if we already have the Civic and Qwest.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,991,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Here goes.

Chicago: Lincoln Park, Old Town, "Boy's Town"north of lincoln park.

New York: Chelsea, SoHo, East Village.

San Francisco: at least a dozen neighborhoods.

Washington D.C.: Dupont Circle, Adams/Morgan, Logan Circle, Ledroit Park, Shaw, Capitol Hill, Mount Pleasant, Columbia Heights.

Los Angeles: West Hollywood and several others.

Houston: Montrose

Philadelphia: Mid-town

There are also gay neighborhoods in several other cities. Gay people were also a big influence in the early days of the Old Market in Omaha (along with the hippies and the Mercer family).

Does anyone care to add to the list?

Albuquerque: Nob Hill, Downtown, Uptown
Santa Fe: Seriously Everywhere..

Its good to have gay areas...

Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I think it would be a waste if we already have the Civic and Qwest.
I don't think anyone is talking about building anything that big, but private people coming up with something within whatever area. As it is now we don't get much here outside of some queen acts coming through but there is definitely a gay culture for those things that we could definitely use here in Omaha.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,282 times
No one is saying we're going to start having orgies in the street all of a sudden. You're obsessing on people sexual habits (a fetish? ) and that's not what we are all about. If you can't look at a gay couple and not picture them having sex that's something you'll need to deal with, but I would hope you would teach your kids to deal with reality and not shelter them from anything.

And we're not basing a culture around sex. Why do you think there are comedians that specialize in black entertainment, Hispanic entertainment, christian entertainment, or any other niche group. People in different groups find different things entertaining.

Would most people be down for listening to a mariachi band? No.

Would most people want to go listen to Ray Comfort speak? No.

Would most people want to to a rap concert? No.

We're not looking to be radically different from any other group in this country. We're just wanting to live like everyone else does. And as far as Omaha having a place for gay people to go and experience culture I think it's a great idea. There are already some great launching pads for it but there is still a lot needed, and in the face of overwhelming conservatism here I think gay people need something to call there own and a place they can be themselves if they don't feel they can other places.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:26 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
No one is saying we're going to start having orgies in the street all of a sudden. You're obsessing on people sexual habits (a fetish? ) and that's not what we are all about. If you can't look at a gay couple and not picture them having sex that's something you'll need to deal with, but I would hope you would teach your kids to deal with reality and not shelter them from anything.

And we're not basing a culture around sex. Why do you think there are comedians that specialize in black entertainment, Hispanic entertainment, christian entertainment, or any other niche group. People in different groups find different things entertaining.
How am I to know who is and is not gay? Unless you tell me, I don't know. Honestly--I don't care to know.

But the idea that you think we need to have a "district" devoted to people that identify according to their sex habits (because they're the same in every area to heteros)...yet you don't think sex habits are relevant just boggles the mind to me.
Quote:

Would most people be down for listening to a mariachi band? No.

Would most people want to go listen to Ray Comfort speak? No.

Would most people want to to a rap concert? No.
Irrelevant

Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM

240 posts, read 504,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Are you just TRYING to provoke people?

Seriously...most folks are pretty much willing t0 live and let live. We don't care what you do in your bedroom...it's when you feel the need to drag it out into the public square and call it "culture" that we have the issue.

If you want to be gay....I don't care. But I don't want to have to protect my kid from it.

what are you going to have to "protect" your kid from ?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,073,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
what are you going to have to "protect" your kid from ?

Anyone who tells her that being gay is moral and healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha