Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 AM

273 posts, read 249,333 times

Advertisements

"Me thinks some people (as mattpoulsen says) always want to complain just to complain."

And lots of Big Red flag waivers like to stick their fingers in their ears and sing: "la,la,la,la,...I can't hear you!" Of course, you'll never know until you get here. I live in a nice middle class neighbor hood and my neighbor woke up to having no car. The reporting officer arrived 3 hours later, guess he was busy fighting crime that doesn't really exist here. He actually asked my neighbor if he wanted to press charges if they caught the thief. What a moron!!!
The police got it back a couple of days later (he discovered through a family member employed by the city) but was told by the cops they didn't have it. A week later, the cops said they had it and to come pick it up.
When he got to the impound the car was pretty much demolished by whoever.
The police response...too bad, so sad. I had to set up a neighborhood watch to compensate for the lack of policing in our neighborhood. In the four years I've been here, Omaha has been sliding down hill fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
"Me thinks some people (as mattpoulsen says) always want to complain just to complain."

And lots of Big Red flag waivers like to stick their fingers in their ears and sing: "la,la,la,la,...I can't hear you!" Of course, you'll never know until you get here. I live in a nice middle class neighbor hood and my neighbor woke up to having no car. The reporting officer arrived 3 hours later, guess he was busy fighting crime that doesn't really exist here. He actually asked my neighbor if he wanted to press charges if they caught the thief. What a moron!!!
The police got it back a couple of days later (he discovered through a family member employed by the city) but was told by the cops they didn't have it. A week later, the cops said they had it and to come pick it up.
When he got to the impound the car was pretty much demolished by whoever.
The police response...too bad, so sad. I had to set up a neighborhood watch to compensate for the lack of policing in our neighborhood. In the four years I've been here, Omaha has been sliding down hill fast.

Are you sure you didn't steal the car? You seem to be pretty occupied with the whole thing. By the way, the police always will ask your consent to press charges with anything. They can't just do it for you.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:10 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Ok. Pablo what does one stolen car have to do with the state of The City of Omaha?? This is what frustrates me to no end! People will take there very limited snapshot of life and extrapolate that to apply to all others in the city and then make the conclusion that "Omaha is on the decline".

Second, what the heck are the police supposed to do?? Reimburse your friend?? Third, I know literally hundreds of people in Omaha and NONE of them has been a victim of a car robbery, mugging, assault, burglary or anything else of that nature. So, by your logic then I can simply conclude that none of those crimes exist in Omaha, and, therefore, Omaha is practically crime free. Does that make sense to you??

Finally, police respond 1st to situations that need IMMEDIATE response. Although a stolen car really really sucks there is nothing that can immediately be done about it. The cop would first respond to calls like domestic violence calls, assault cases, robbery in progress, and etc.

One other note. Charges can, in fact, be filed without the consent of the victim, however, as a matter of practice, what's the point if the county attorney will get no cooperation from the victim (i.e., showing up at court and testifying). Plus, this is absolutely routine in every city in America. For all the cop knew your friend's could have been stolen by someone that your friend knew and maybe, in the end, he didn't want to press charges. There is nothing surprising, or alarmingly, by the cop asking if he wanted to press charges. You're simply trying to come up with a controversy on that one.

The world is simply a much more complicated place then you try to display it and unless you're a narcissist most would recognize that occasionally you have to wait your turn and things don't always work out the way you'd like. Furthermore, even if the cop is a pile of crap, that by no means is indicative of Omaha as a whole.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times
pablo-me,

Glad that you got involved, but maybe you need to slow down with your rremarks. Here are some links that you need to look at first.

Omaha Police Department - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/finance/budget2008recommended/_Sec%20F%20Police.pdf (broken link)

Omaha has 765 sworn Police Officers who work three shifts. If you just divide this you will see that they only have about 255 police officers per shift. They have Police Officers who only work in the office at the police station. They have many different departments that do different jobs within police work, most of these Departments work only a day shift. You only have a limited number of uniformed patrol officers to cover the city of Omaha. You have police officers on vacation, on sick leave, in training and maybe on suspension and yes even having to go to court, when the victims will not. At least the Police care enough to go to court to testify against the criminals. When was the last time you went to a criminal court hearing. These are open to the public just in case you did not know. So out of the 765 officers working for Omaha you might have only 150 officers per shift and even less for the midnight shift. With maybe about 80 to 100 being patrol officers who handle crimes that need to be handled according to the nature of the crime. A stolen car to a victim is the most important issue, to a police officer it is not. They put out a area broadcast to be on the look out for the car right away when it is called in. The police officers come around when they can to take the offical report for record. This could have taken place in more than three hours. It might have been handled by the next shift. If you want more Police Officers, like one for every block in order to help prevent crime then get out you checkbook, because your taxes will be out of sight.

http://www.policevolunteers.org/law/...olhandbook.pdf
http://www.policevolunteers.org/law/...isormanual.pdf
Omaha Police Department - News News: Crime Stoppers

Go to this site to see what you and your fellow neighbors can do to help the police in Omaha. It is your city and there are more people who want to live according to the laws of Nebraska than there are criminals.

SO TAKE ACTION AND TAKE BACK YOUR CITY BY HELPING THE POLICE CATCH THESE CRIMINALS.

This is from a Nebraska Police Officer since 1979. Who is active in the concept of a very active Community Policing Program that gets the local people involved in crime prevention.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 AM

Omaha PD at work. Just read that they rounded up about 40 gang bangers. Information is the they have connections to Central America. Out of the 40 15 are part of the MS-13 gang and it appears the other 25 are all illegals as well. Boy 40 illegals rounded up by OPD. Nice job now let's see if the citizens of Omaha will start standing up and reporting who these people are so the more of the problems can be taken off the streets of Omaha by OPD after all ICE can't do it or will not do it.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnebbear View Post
Omaha PD at work. Just read that they rounded up about 40 gang bangers. Information is the they have connections to Central America. Out of the 40 15 are part of the MS-13 gang and it appears the other 25 are all illegals as well. Boy 40 illegals rounded up by OPD. Nice job now let's see if the citizens of Omaha will start standing up and reporting who these people are so the more of the problems can be taken off the streets of Omaha by OPD after all ICE can't do it or will not do it.
Damn right, I was so happy when I saw that on the news. Following the news of the arrest was about robberies and violent crimes in south Omaha though....Keep up the good work OPD.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:00 AM

273 posts, read 249,333 times
Kosnebbear, thank you for enlightening me (and others) how dedicated the OPD Officers are to their profession. Twenty eight years is truely a vocation to this city! Thank you. I apologize for the offensiveness of my comment and it's java induced adjectives. I viewed the links you provided and will use these as tools to help keep our neighborhood a safer place.

Last edited by pablo-me; 10-25-2007 at 02:21 AM..

Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 PM

pablo-me

You were only stating your feelings about something that happened to a friend. I do not find that this was wrong on your part. We all have to have something or someone that we need to stand by. I do not work in Omaha, but know some of the Police Officers who work there. I know the ones that I know are very fine Police Officers who are doing the best that they can. I also know that they have Police Officers who are only doing what they have to do in order to get a pay check. I had a college professor who said that being a Police Officer can be very rewarding where you are the hero of everyone for saving a life and the next hour the biggest biggot the next when you arrest someone who thinks that they are above the law. A Police Officer has to work and walk in our societies dirt and never get their uniform dirty. They do the best that they can and with your help they will do it even better.

There are several civilians that I also know who are working with the Omaha Police Department in order to make Omaha a better place to live. I am sure that when you get involved with these people you will find out that they have the same feelings that you do and want to make a difference.

Now all you have to do is to get others in your neighborhood to step up and make a difference. Once you do this you will begin seeing a difference.

If you ever have a question or just want to vent about something you can do so with me anytime. All I ask is that you do so by PM so that we do not get into trouble in this forum. I will try to help you as best that I can.

Keep up the effort and take back your streets. Start pulling Omaha back up that hill that is is sliding down. I am pulling for you and your friends.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,637 times
Default ?The Good Life?

Do not believe comments made by nebraskans that have only lived in Nebraska.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 PM

226 posts, read 576,715 times
High taxes are not a myth, they are a reality, in Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha