Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post

you can disagree with me if that is the way you feel, but frankly I think anyone can look at a lot of good things and find what's wrong with them. You could go anywhere and do that. Maybe the clubs and the atmosphere here don't fit you. Maybe you don't like low crime rates, maybe you don't like to see a city hold onto one of it's oldest traditions, then Omaha isn't for you. Hell, I don't think Omaha want's people like this, who only blatantly overlook the good in a place so they can slam down on those with civic pride. Tourists do come here. and they almost always praise the city in ridiculous numbers. There are high class resteraunts in town that get business. Ever heard of the Flat Iron? The Qwest Center did get a lot of big name productions that suprised people and brought in a whole range of tourists.
Omaha is not without it's flaws. I know this, but it is not even a mediocre place in my opinion, and it only is in yours because you choose to view it with a blindfold on.

Adam has a great point.. Tourists the last 5-8 years have really been giving us high praises, and the last couple seem to have grown much more...

I'm not really sure how you cannot find anything to do, there are always city sponsored events, concerts, nationally televised sports, music venues that are nationally ranked as well as nationally rated arts venues, a top zoo, great pay with low wages, great night clubs.. all of this to start..

Some people just have their minds made up and when they do, they always see how things could be better.. It's not a fun existance thinking that way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putz85 View Post
The cops here get no real action like gangs and drug dealers so the lose there minds when it comes to little things like a seat belt violation they act like you punched a baby in the face. The qwest center is a joke the whole mentality of if you build it they will come is crap
Oh no we don't have many gangs or drugs whatever shall we do because crime is awesome. And the Qwest Center is ranked 10th in the nation for ticket sales, clearly thats a huge joke and so are the Swim Trials because they came here.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,465 times
Yeah Putz, are you seriously suggesting that not having a major crime problem for the police to deal with is a bad thing??

As far as the Qwest, it has been an absolute success! Its a top-notch facility and to suggest otherwise is completely dishonest. Omaha has greatly improved its national exposure by adding the Qwest and has reaped tons in terms of revenue to the city.

And no one here thinks Olive Garden is fine dining. Good lord...can you come up with an anymore random allegation? I could just as easily say someone in Dallas thinks taco bell is fine dining. How ridiculous. And while we're on ridiculous anecdotal bits evidence of Omaha's failures...what in the heck does a seatbelt violation have to do with anything?? First of all, its a secondary violation. Secondly, Nebraska for a very long time resisted federal pressure to enact seatbelt legislation. But I'm guessing you were ticketed for not having a seatbelt and now choose to blame it on the "horrible cultural scene in Omaha" instead of yourself. You sound like a bitter person who simply wants to be miserable no matter where he is.

I have been, worked, and have colleagues all over the globe and could have a very nice lifestyle in nearly any city. I live in Omaha because I choose to be...NOT because I'm stuck here! Not everyone's priority is the number of night clubs and professional sports teams. Ever heard of raising a family? It is often the case that that is a person's priority and you can't pick a better place than Omaha for that. Not everyone wants the same thing out of a city! Why is that so hard to understand?? No one here is bad mouthing NY or Chicago. We recognize that different people have different tastes. Why can't you understand that?

Old 07-18-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Yeah Putz, are you seriously suggesting that not having a major crime problem for the police to deal with is a bad thing??

As far as the Qwest, it has been an absolute success! Its a top-notch facility and to suggest otherwise is completely dishonest. Omaha has greatly improved its national exposure by adding the Qwest and has reaped tons in terms of revenue to the city.

And no one here thinks Olive Garden is fine dining. Good lord...can you come up with an anymore random allegation? I could just as easily say someone in Dallas thinks taco bell is fine dining. How ridiculous. And while we're on ridiculous anecdotal bits evidence of Omaha's failures...what in the heck does a seatbelt violation have to do with anything?? First of all, its a secondary violation. Secondly, Nebraska for a very long time resisted federal pressure to enact seatbelt legislation. But I'm guessing you were ticketed for not having a seatbelt and now choose to blame it on the "horrible cultural scene in Omaha" instead of yourself. You sound like a bitter person who simply wants to be miserable no matter where he is.

I have been, worked, and have colleagues all over the globe and could have a very nice lifestyle in nearly any city. I live in Omaha because I choose to be...NOT because I'm stuck here! Not everyone's priority is the number of night clubs and professional sports teams. Ever heard of raising a family? It is often the case that that is a person's priority and you can't pick a better place than Omaha for that. Not everyone wants the same thing out of a city! Why is that so hard to understand?? No one here is bad mouthing NY or Chicago. We recognize that different people have different tastes. Why can't you understand that?

Well I've never met a putz who had nothing better to do than drink and sleep in all day..

Old 07-27-2008, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,305 times
Default A matter of personal choice

My company was recently bought out by a company in omaha. And therefore taking the operation to the midwest. Currently, the office is located in Texas. Pretty much 99% of the people automatically said no when asked if they were going to relocate. I too had my doubts but said I would consider the possibility. I went up there to train some of the employees on out system and had a week to look around. I think for the most part it has some very nice family living parts. I did not like the fact that there are really no major highways to take around town and you have to pretty much take alot of residential roadways. The jobs there were plentiful enough but for my field it would be alot better to actually stay were I am because there are more top companies. The good thing about omaha is the tech field is not saturated with professionals. I must admit I was not over impressed by the types of entertainment available. I was there during the olympic trials and world series and still not much of a buzz. In restrospect it is not really fair to compare it to my current city of Austin because there is no comparsion. I think people who live in omaha like it but also must understand it is a hard pill to swallow to come from a more entertaining city and I dont just mean sports. The low crime rate and good family living is easily found in the city of austin not to mention that it is very close to another major city of san antionio. Also the cost of living is not much difference than omaha. So I say to all those in omaha. That the city is a nice place to raise a family but still that does not mean that your life has to shut down to accomplish that task. Omaha is what it is and that is not bad but unique to omaha

Old 07-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Default ..

There are two major interstates in I-29 and I-80, and then there are two loops in i-680 and I-480, west dodge expressway, kennedy freeway, sorensen parkway and etc..

The city has a great highway system.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,558 times
I do agree that Omaha does not have the number and variety of interstates/highways as bigger cities, but I do think the road system in Omaha works well for a city of its size. One thing I like about Omaha is that there are interstates to take me fairly conveniently to most places, but there are also other roads that I can take instead which will usually get me there in almost the same amount of time. In any major city in which I have lived, that is generally not the case; to get where you need to go in the most reasonable amount of time, an interstate/highway/toll road is often the only practical choice.

Omaha also does not have the traffic of a big city nor anything resembling the accompanying rush hour(s) of big cities, so that is pleasant. The street layout is also very simple - someone from out of town can adjust to the street system very quickly and find their way most anywhere without a map once they know which directions numbered streets go, which directions Dodge, Maple, L, etc. go... My husband is very directionally challenged, but navigating Omaha was quite easy for him. Navigating San Antonio, Houston, Chicago, etc... - not so much!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,316 times
I grew up in Cincinnati, OH and I lived in Omaha for a while in my teenage/young adult years. (Technically I'm still a young adult). I don't really see the point in bashing a place. If you don't like it then don't move there. I'm sure the city of Omaha isn't crying that you don't live there. It has it's ups and down, but all this bragging, "my city is better than your city" mumbo-jumbo just makes me sick.

I just want to move to a small town and visit a big city every once and a while. It makes the city seem that much better!

And for Omaha, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to live there. It is a very nice place with fairly low crime rates and an extremely diverse group of people. If you don't like it then you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't bash and entire city for anything.

Heck, a lot of people say that LA is unfriendly and expensive, but when I lived there people were super friendly and even pointed out parking spots. It is a bit more expensive as well, but the jobs generally pay better as well!

Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
I grew up in lots of places, namely along the Gulf Coast (various spots in MS, LA (New Orleans and surrounding), etc.

The first shocking thing I noticed when I moved up here is how insanely rude everybody seemed. In the south, you can go to a gas station at 9 pm to grab a coke and end up having a good 20 minute conversation with the cashier or other customers. And most minors I've come across STILL say "ma'am" and "sir."

The second amazement was the percentage of whites (all in all, the gulf coast is generally ~50% white - the other 50% being black, Vietnamese, and others). Some may not care. Some may like this, and some may dislike this. I'm just giving the information.

The third thing that struck me was the lack of trees. There are *no* trees in Nebraska. After literally driving through HOURS of thick forested interstate, to a few hours of bare fields, it's kind of a bummer.

The fourth would be how clean the city is. Omaha is a very clean and well-kept city.

Various other things I've noticed would include a huge homosexual population compared to other places (again, could be a bonus, neutral, or negative - depends on you), a very well-equipped (though understaffed) police force. Plenty of schools.

Another big one was the amount of money Omaha has. Most cities don't have multiple golf courses, kids driving brand new SUVs to school, etc. I'd say this would be a positive and a negative thing. The positive would be that money-soaked areas also tend to have better education, health, etc. The negative is that it tends to make people (not all, but a large percent) utter jackasses who are incredibly inconsiderate to others below their pay level. I can't tell you how many waiters/waitresses, gas station clerks, fast food employees, etc, get pissed on or bitched at by some yuppie snob. (I'm actually moving out of West Omaha soon because I can't take the people here. Don't want to live downtown. Gotta find a happy medium.)

Omaha is a decent place. Sort of like having a decent job. For most people, there's no reason to leave it unless you actually have a little spark for something new. The quality of life in Omaha is good, depending on your life values. I'd say it's probably a great place for someone in their mid to late 30's and up, with family, etc. But if you're young enough to try new things, I'd say there are plenty of other areas to try out and have lots of fun with.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsquanto View Post
(I'm actually moving out of West Omaha soon because I can't take the people here. Don't want to live downtown. Gotta find a happy medium.)
Look at Papillion, especially the original part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha