Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times

Advertisements

To me the more skilled the people in a town are in keeping their bad habits to themselves, the better the town is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
Buzy Mom, you must be related to my husband! I thought all that was left in that place were his relatives! To the OP, its a culture shock to go to Wilson from anywhere else in Oklahoma. My husband and his many siblings grew up there, most of the siblings have moved away, but there is about 3 generations of his family there. bob, you've lived there 3 months, and think you can tell us that know people who have lived there forever, to watch what we say? The town is rampant with drugs. You don't have to hang around those people however. I could tell you many stories about Wilson, none good. I thought about moving there, in the country, to get my kids away from drugs, but they are everywhere. If you want them, you'll find them. I can't get my husband to even visit there!
I'm glad Ardmores economy has picked up. I was born and raised there. I would never have left there if the economy had been better.

Oh, and bob, is Wilson is the best place you've lived, I'm very curious as to where else you've lived.

Oh My! I've just noticed how old this thread is! I wonder how the OP is doing in Wilson?

Last edited by Jess5; 12-01-2007 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM

6 posts, read 20,107 times
I have lived in Durant, Kingston, and Fox..There are far more drugs in Durant or Kingston then here in Wilson..Ya can say what you want about the drugs situation but the drugs are everywhere you turn..but at least the police force is really cracking down on the drugs..We moved away from Fox 8 yrs and go and I have been to Kingston 2 twice and Durant. Then We can to Wilson.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:57 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,413 times
bob, I would have thought any of those towns you mentioned would be a better place to live, because Wilson has absolutely nothing there. Do they even have a grocery store? Really, all that matters though is that you are content there. Heck, we may even move down that way eventually because the land is so much cheaper. It would be in the country tho. I live right outside of OKC., and its getting way too busy here, for us. I do like the 24 hour things that are open though because I'm such a night owl. I sure would love to live in the country. Wilson does need more entertainment for teens, so they won't have to go to Ardmore so much. I'm glad you are happy there.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
Seriously Jess, you must agree that Kingston, Fox and Durant are pretty much the same atmosphere as Wilson. About the only thing that even brings me back to Wilson these days is after my brother passed away Sept of 07, I've started trying to get back more often to spend time with my mom, who still lives in the same house I grew up in. If anyone is looking for a place to move to, Lone Grove or Ardmore would be a much better choice. I honestly couldn't wait to get out of Wilson when I was younger, and feel the same way every time I go back to visit. It's even worse now that all the buildings are being gutted downtown.

But I still have some good memories of 'draggin' main back in the day and getting drunk in the DX parking lot, Stubbs Farm, Twin Towers, Blue Lake, and sometimes going over to Healdton and partying at the Flying Saucer. These are just a few of the places around Wilson to party.

And then there is Boy Scouts, where most of us around my age learned to smoke cigarettes and drink Everclear at the age of 11. Ask one of your policeman about shooting up the case of beer I took to camp when I was 16, litterally shooting them. Claude was the rifle and shotgun instructor, and also my cousin.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,623,236 times
cepx2, I am curious about how Lone Grove and Ardmore are doing these days. From what I hear, the economy has been pretty good the last few years. That area is not on my way to Dallas anymore, so I haven't been through there in a while. Would someone be able to move there and find a job?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,948 times
I have lived in Wilson a few years, moved here from California. I can tell you that this a nice place to live compared to California. We don't have gangs, the drug problem that some keep mentioning is a few individuals and families that got away with a lot when this town was a good ol boy place. Changes are taking place, new people moving in, citizens becomimng concerned about their city. In the last three years the Wilson Police Department has come a long ways to becoming a professional department with high ethics and morals. I have seen these officers conduct search warrants and have taken down meth labs and rcovered stolen property. Wilson is a decent town with a majority of decent people . Remember things do change and will continue to change for the better.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:52 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,623,236 times
I'm glad to hear some good news about Wilson, Goodbar.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbar View Post
I have lived in Wilson a few years, moved here from California. I can tell you that this a nice place to live compared to California.
Quote:
We don't have gangs, the drug problem that some keep mentioning is a few individuals and families that got away with a lot when this town was a good ol boy place.
Changes are taking place, new people moving in, citizens becomimng concerned about their city. In the last three years the Wilson Police Department has come a long ways to becoming a professional department with high ethics and morals. I have seen these officers conduct search warrants and have taken down meth labs and rcovered stolen property. Wilson is a decent town with a majority of decent people . Remember things do change and will continue to change for the better.
There's a big difference between the gangs and Drug problem in OK. and the Gangs and Drug problem in Ca. mainly, "size wise"

The size of the town/city has alot to do with it also.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,948 times
Yes I'm still in Wilson ! Things seem to be going smoothly except some things at city hall that I feel will eventually get fixed , either by the council or at the ballot box. Thats the beauty of democracy people can make a change through their vote. Forty new home's are in the process of being built at the north east side of the city. The homes will sell in the price range of $ 140,000. Two have been completed so far. The people that buy these homes will help contribute to the local economy and stimulate more change in Wilson. The schools will benefit by having more student enrollment and as such recieve more state funds. The schools have recieved a face lift, new roofs, windows, carpets, paint. A new school cafeteria is about to be built. The police department is getting a new renovated police station with in the city hall building. The police department is keeping the druggies and dope dealers in check, making arrests and doing a good job of keeping the community safe. All these things are a positive . I hope that people will view Wilson in a positive light and join in making this place a better place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma