Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 10:39 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,068 times

Advertisements

I know a lady who lives in Oklahoma who has elderly parents. A few months ago her father fell and seriously injured himself. I had not heard from her in a few weeks, but she finally touched base with me today. I do not know all of the details, but she told me that Medicare was not providing much help for rehabilitation or even keeping him in hospital for very long. This lady and her husband have spent thousands of dollars in the last few months retrofitting her parent's home so that her mum could take care of her dad at home, e.g. they installed one of those walk-in bath tubs as well as some other things to make life workable. She explains it better than I can. See below. I have advised her to contact her state's attorney general's office for consumer protection, the FBI, and "super lawyers." I feel there is an excellent argument to be made that her mum was not in a legally fit state of mind to enter into such a contract and that she acted under extreme duress. If anyone has any experience of this sort of thing or knows of similar cases and can offer some suggestions/advice, we would be most grateful. I am at a loss to know what else to do to help this nice lady who is always there to help others in need. This time, she and her parents need help. Thank you in advance!

"My dad was released home about a month ago, not because he was ready but because medicare no longer takes care of the seniors who spent their lives paying into it. We were able to get a physical therapist in once a week to work on building up his muscles and I have been assisting my mom with his care throughout the day. This is why it took me so long to get back with you. I haven't been in to check my work email on any normal basis. I have not been working. Spending all of my time caring for my parents, so my income has stopped.

We thought we had it worked out, if not in the best way, at least in a way that allowed my parents some measure of security and a chance at a close to normal life. Then came 2 blows in quick succession. My mom, unbeknownst to me, had been given an opportunity to refinance their house and defer payments while my dad recovered and while we were putting out major expenditures retrofitting their house and buying the equipment my dad needs to be relatively independent for as long as he can be. Well, basically the program is a predatory lender that encourages the elderly to use their homes as a form of collateral and by the end of it, they reject paperwork and contact the clients after the dates to make the needed corrections and then they foreclose on the homes and take them. My mom thought she was so lucky and that this would be a major help for her, then she called me last night and told me they will be losing their house this month unless they can come up with thousands of dollars in a weeks time. Less than an hour later, she called again and told me my dad fell on the porch. He is back in the hospital with a broken arm, shoulder damage and major head trauma again."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma