Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 01:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,678 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Nevada and would love some tips. (I am searching through the thread as well to find posts with similar requests.But I thought posting might get some more ideas from people )

My brother in is Yukon, I have only seen the Mustang/Yukon area when visiting. What I would love is to settle somewhere, buy a bit of land and be near decent schools. Safety is a big thing as well.

Any ideas on where to go? I am looking at Yukon homes and I don't see places with much land. (We like to garden, have chickens, want to plant a few trees.) But I also don't want to be 3 hours away from stores and people.

I would love any pointers! Especially if you could just tell me schools to avoid all together! (we are leaving one of the worst school districts in the nation, all I want is my son to be safe at school and to be able to learn.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 08:50 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Mustang - one house was on the market recently with 1 1/2 acres around 600k. Look at a map. There is no land in Mustang and builders are swamped.
What does your brother in Yukon suggest?

Old 10-31-2021, 10:28 AM

15 acres in Luther with barndemenium about. 20 minutes to Edmond for 585k.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWalls1006 View Post
I am moving from Nevada and would love some tips. (I am searching through the thread as well to find posts with similar requests.But I thought posting might get some more ideas from people )

My brother in is Yukon, I have only seen the Mustang/Yukon area when visiting. What I would love is to settle somewhere, buy a bit of land and be near decent schools. Safety is a big thing as well.

Any ideas on where to go? I am looking at Yukon homes and I don't see places with much land. (We like to garden, have chickens, want to plant a few trees.) But I also don't want to be 3 hours away from stores and people.

I would love any pointers! Especially if you could just tell me schools to avoid all together! (we are leaving one of the worst school districts in the nation, all I want is my son to be safe at school and to be able to learn.)
You better ask your brother what he thinks of the crazy, unusually extreme weather events that happen in the Oklahoma City area all too often. There are ice storms, hail storms, tornadoes and incredibly heavy rain storms. The Christmas Eve blizzard of 2009 was unforgettable. It's no wonder Oklahoma City rated well up as having among the country's worst weather. Other places in Oklahoma, such as Tulsa and Stillwater don't have such crazy weather as much. The OKC ice storm from October 2020 didn't hit Tulsa and wasn't as bad in Stillwater.

From the past, the longest the electricity has been off in Stillwater, due to bad weather, has lasted from the evening and for most of the next day on two different occasions. I wonder if the electricity inYukon has been off longer.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You better ask your brother what he thinks of the crazy, unusually extreme weather events that happen in the Oklahoma City area all too often. There are ice storms, hail storms, tornadoes and incredibly heavy rain storms. The Christmas Eve blizzard of 2009 was unforgettable. It's no wonder Oklahoma City rated well up as having among the country's worst weather. Other places in Oklahoma, such as Tulsa and Stillwater don't have such crazy weather as much. The OKC ice storm from October 2020 didn't hit Tulsa and wasn't as bad in Stillwater.

From the past, the longest the electricity has been off in Stillwater, due to bad weather, has lasted from the evening and for most of the next day on two different occasions. I wonder if the electricity inYukon has been off longer.
OG&E offers historical data of outages on line. Get a generator and it is no issue. There were outages last week.
Stillwater is clearly a pearl for those moving to OK!
Schools and gardening are secondary when it comes to moving. At least for me. OP has not mentioned housing budget and employment.

Old 11-01-2021, 07:36 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

The weather in the OKC are is not significantly different than it is in the greater part of Oklahoma. Oklahoma City doesn't have the countries "worst weather" in terms of temperature and snowfall and heat extremes. The violent weather you describe isn't all the time.

Historically Stillwater has had something like 22 tornadoes and OKC has had 30. Given OKC's larger land mass I'd say there is no difference in terms of that.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-okc

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadod...-ok-stillwater

As far as land goes, seems like the OP could look just west of Mustang/Yukon and in the area around Piedmont or around NW Highway going to Okarche and find something.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The weather in the OKC are is not significantly different than it is in the greater part of Oklahoma. Oklahoma City doesn't have the countries "worst weather" in terms of temperature and snowfall and heat extremes. The violent weather you describe isn't all the time.

Historically Stillwater has had something like 22 tornadoes and OKC has had 30. Given OKC's larger land mass I'd say there is no difference in terms of that.

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-okc

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadod...-ok-stillwater

As far as land goes, seems like the OP could look just west of Mustang/Yukon and in the area around Piedmont or around NW Highway going to Okarche and find something.
I believe Stillwater has had 22 tornado warnings but really it is a matter of well established fact that only two of those warnings developed into serious tornadoes on or near the ground that actually went through town causing serious damage. The worst one of them caused the death of one child. A long account of that tornado is here: https://stillwaterweather.com/1990tornado

I think you'll find Tulsa metro has had significantly fewer deaths and injuries from tornadoes since the 1990s than Oklahoma City metro. Stillwater has only had one tornado death, going back many decades. Since 2004, I've lived in a home with a reinforced room as storm shelter and have yet to go in there out of fear a tornado was about to come.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:20 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Tulsa County, which is much larger in area/population than just the city, has had just one death in a tornado in the last 25 years. The city of Tulsa has had none.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:25 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Tulsa County, which is much larger in area/population than just the city, has had just one death in a tornado in the last 25 years. The city of Tulsa has had none.
Again, much of that is the luck of the draw.

Here is Tulsa's tornado history...

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-county-ok-tulsa

Looks like the 1970s was a bad decade there.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:09 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Again, much of that is the luck of the draw.

Here is Tulsa's tornado history...

https://www.weather.gov/oun/tornadodata-county-ok-tulsa

Looks like the 1970s was a bad decade there.
That's also before modern weather forecasting and warnings. And before climate change seems to have moved tornado alley to the east.

But anyway Tulsa County has only had 63 tornado deaths ever, in the last 100+ years. Only 30 in the last 70 years. Your risk in being killed in a tornado in the Tulsa area is very close to zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma