Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 12:01 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenieT View Post
Thanks for the info!
Do you know anything about McAlester? I see quite a few there too. We may end up with what we can get at the time as we have a schedule. We need to be in OK by the end of October at the very latest, but my husband's new job doesn't start until late August. Then it's a month-ish to close on a house. No pressure!!
McAlester has been slowly declining in population since 2010, so I'm not surprised there are a lot of homes for sale there. Bartlesville would be more interesting or the smaller towns around there, while being closer to Lawrence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 08:36 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
There is nothing wrong with renting for 6 months to a year to get a feel for where you want to settle long-term. Rushing into a Buy Now house can leave you stuck somewhere you don't really like. Then you're stuck selling for a loss or riding it out for a few years until you can break even, and then move to where you want to live. Getting out of a rental house early is a lot easier and cheaper, than getting out of a house you bought on a tight schedule and now have decided isn't right for you long-term.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,441 times
We considered that, but we have dogs and don't want to live in the city. And the rents are higher than a mortgage. We actually live in our 5th wheel now, but I didn't see any RV parks I wanted to live in. We're on private property now. My husband will be gone a lot. I don't want to have to move the trailer, any of that. So we'll do the house and just hope for the best. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2021, 06:05 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I forgot a couple other NE Oklahoma towns to consider. Nowata and Oologah.

In western Oklahoma I think Clinton (just north of Cordell) might have some housing bargains.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:50 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
We considered that, but we have dogs and don't want to live in the city. And the rents are higher than a mortgage. We actually live in our 5th wheel now, but I didn't see any RV parks I wanted to live in. We're on private property now. My husband will be gone a lot. I don't want to have to move the trailer, any of that. So we'll do the house and just hope for the best. Thanks!

There are endless places to park an RV in Oklahoma. From parking on someone's farm to small RV parks that are all over. Probably won't find them on the internet. Where I live in rural northern Oklahoma there are probably a dozen close to me. Mostly smaller parks with less than 10 spaces.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:35 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
We're moving from WA state to OK to be closer to my husband's family. We're looking to buy outside of the major cities. I'm seeing a lot for sale in Elk City, Sayre, Cordell, Mangum. What's wrong with these places? Are people moving to the city?

We can be anywhere so we're looking more rural or small town. I'm just curious as to why some of these smaller towns have so many homes for sale? Is it just bc the housing market is booming right now? Should I be wary of any of these?

Thanks!
What part of WA are you moving from? East or West of the cascades and what are your politics?

I lived in Elk City for the first 10 years of my life, but that was a long time ago. It was the most prejudiced place I ever lived. They hated Native Americans and it was awful. Seriously racist back in the 60's. I have no idea what it's like now, but a most of Oklahoma is extremely conservative. Maybe you like that. Other than that I'm not sure why you'd ask what's wrong with those places. Elk City has grown tremendously since I lived there and all of those towns are close to TX. I think that a lot of small towns in OK are dying out. I mean the really small towns.

There are some cool places in Western OK. I actually like the Lawton area and many people do not. There is some very cool hiking in that area. Do you like outdoor activities?

You may want to look at SE OK. Poteau, Hartshorn and other towns. Broken Bow is very nice.

I'm in Tulsa and it's turning into a bit of a happening city.......for Oklahoma. It has a decent vibe. There are plenty of smaller towns/rural areas near Tulsa so you could get the best of both worlds.

WA is like my second home. I use to go between WA and OK a lot. I love WA and it's my favorite state. I lived in Seattle in the early 80's and had planned to settle there. I love that climate and being close to both mountains and ocean. Plus, the vibe is more me. I still love Seattle but I loved it much more way back before they 'cleaned up downtown'. It's become a bit too bourgeoisie and way too expensive.

Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2021, 11:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info!

My husband's family is Lawrence KS but he doesn't want to live IN Kansas. I really only want a decent grocery store and a coffee place would be grand! Or drive to one if it's within 25 miles or so. I only shop once a month.

Cordell is on my good list. Mangum has some cute houses too, but not sure about that area.

On the eastern side I've found some too. It just depends on what's available when we're ready. I'm trying to narrow it down tho.

Do you know anything about McAlester? I see quite a few there too. We may end up with what we can get at the time as we have a schedule. We need to be in OK by the end of October at the very latest, but my husband's new job doesn't start until late August. Then it's a month-ish to close on a house. No pressure!!
So it's past the end of October. Did you ever end up in Oklahoma? Or in some other state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma