Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best town for semi-rural, but close to amenities for families with children
Norman 4 20.00%
Edmond 5 25.00%
Moore 2 10.00%
Other? 9 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 06:14 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigeleer View Post
Edmond sounds well worth considering for you. It's grown fast in the past 50 years as a fairly upscale suburb in which to get away from OKC without cutting yourself off from the City. Generally the north edge of OKC has developed that way. You might also want to consider Yukon on the west edge of OKC. It's smaller than Edmond and kind of semi-rural. A law officer friend of ours chose Yukon to retire partly because of its low crime.

OK is one of the worst states for meth, but like everywhere, you can avoid the high-crime towns and neighborhoods.

Regarding gardening, OKC and Edmond straddle the boundary of two very different ground types. On the east side it's hillier, and the ground gets rocky with thinner soil. The Crosstimbers, as Eddie said. A rural relative a few miles north of Edmond told us that her yard wasn't much good for gardening. On the west side of OKC there is decent soil. Look for wheat fields as a hint about the soil; you won't see wheat on the far east side of OKC and Edmond.

Gardening outdoors in central OK is not impossible but is challenging. Sailbot is exactly right about the hazards. You'd have to be braced for occasional disasters because the temperature and rainfall varies wildly, and if you try to grow tomatoes you'll find yourself every spring having to cover them up temporarily from approaching storms.

Even the best produce for sale in OK is noticeably not as fresh and good as what you expect in California.

It's true as Sailbot says that most of your future neighbors will have grown up in OK and "not need" any new friends, but on the other hand Okies aren't stand-offish and are naturally inclined to be relaxed and friendly. (You can drive there for many years and never get honked at or hear any other honking.) I don't think you would find it hard to make friends eventually through work, homeschool networks, and especially churches. Almost half of Okies attend church at least once a week.

I think it is important to note that if we do get out of state white collar transplants they many times end up in Edmond or Norman. Choctaw is another place that gets a lot of Tinker AFB transplants. Both Norman and Edmond get out of staters who are profs at the Universities. And of course Norman is the world capitol for weather nerds. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 AM

42 posts, read 102,941 times
Look today at the weekend weather, the accident reports, etc.
All the whining from north Texas, too (cultural links, though both will dispute it).

Any time ice happens, and that will be a few times a winter, expect power outrages come the spring storms.
(Source, I was a reporter at the Norman Transcript, Daily Oklahoman and El Reno Tribune. My degree, Central Oklahoma in Edmond)

Old 02-17-2021, 10:14 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I

First off, people are outwardly very friendly and chatty. It seems easy to get to know neighbors if you yourself are the friendly, chatty type. However, people tend to stay in the same general area they grew up in--their parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, childhood and school friends, etc., are still nearby--so they don't "need" any more close friends and you may need to adjust your expectations about just how far their welcome goes. Many people couldn't believe my sister didn't have relatives in Oklahoma and asked, "Why would you move here, if you don't have family here? Why would you leave your family?"

I agree totally with this. I am in a more rural part of Oklahoma and yes everyone is very friendly and chatty. But getting past small talk and hellos is not all that easy in my experience.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:24 AM

327 posts, read 211,146 times
Why don’t you Californians band together and form a mini California in the pan handle. It will be a work in progress yes but just imagine how much growth could happen with your cronies. In 30 years perhaps it will be the next big city where people can have severe airline delays. Bahahaha

Old 02-24-2021, 12:23 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachofries View Post
Why don’t you Californians band together and form a mini California in the pan handle. It will be a work in progress yes but just imagine how much growth could happen with your cronies. In 30 years perhaps it will be the next big city where people can have severe airline delays. Bahahaha
The OP appears to be long gone, but just for fun, here's an e-mail I just got from my transplanted sister:

"I have discovered that this last cold spell has killed my roses, my lavender, my bay tree and the bulbs that were starting to sprout - daffodils etc. I have no idea yet about the lilacs. I cannot describe how much I hate this erratic climate. Just when something starts to flourish Oklahoma decides to send straight line winds, or triple digit heat, or tornadoes, or hail, or flooding rain. Not to mention the bugs and voracious wildlife. I am praying that I can do better at accepting my current location but honestly it’s difficult."

Oklahoma will never be California, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's a good thing. California has lots of problems that can be hard to deal with, but the generally benign climate covers a multitude of sins, as far as enjoying everyday life is concerned.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:13 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
The OP appears to be long gone, but just for fun, here's an e-mail I just got from my transplanted sister:

"I have discovered that this last cold spell has killed my roses, my lavender, my bay tree and the bulbs that were starting to sprout - daffodils etc. I have no idea yet about the lilacs. I cannot describe how much I hate this erratic climate. Just when something starts to flourish Oklahoma decides to send straight line winds, or triple digit heat, or tornadoes, or hail, or flooding rain. Not to mention the bugs and voracious wildlife. I am praying that I can do better at accepting my current location but honestly it’s difficult."

Oklahoma will never be California, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's a good thing. California has lots of problems that can be hard to deal with, but the generally benign climate covers a multitude of sins, as far as enjoying everyday life is concerned.
Sounds like your sister needs a new hobby here in Oklahoma.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:

So you knows how many, many palm trees died in Texas?

Old 02-24-2021, 01:30 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sounds like your sister needs a new hobby here in Oklahoma.
I agree, gardening is not cutting it.

Old 02-24-2021, 02:31 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Hey folks, wake up and look at a map . Oklahoma is in the Great Plains. It's subject to extreme swings of weather just like the entire freaking continent between the western slope of the Appalachians/Ozarks and the eastern slope of the Rockies. In other words:

Texas (most of)
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
South Dakota
North Dakota
Manitoba
Saskatchewan
Eastern Alberta
Eastern Montana
Eastern Wyoming
Eastern Colorado
Eastern New Mexico
Western Iowa
Western Minnesota

Rather than assuming that everything should always be like it was "back home" why don't you learn about gardening in the plains states. I can assure you that there are many many people happily and successfully growing garden vegetables in Okla.

Old 02-24-2021, 03:18 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

As an avid gardener and that in OK - daffodils are fine. Give the roses a drastic hair cut and they will come back with a vengeance.

Check your growing zones and keep what does not naturally grow here in pots and a heated green house. Lilac has no business in OK. Bay and lavender do not belong in the ground here.

Plant enough for everyone and there will be plenty for you. We could not give Armenian cucumbers away after a couple of weeks. All sorts of peppers thrive. Tomatoes are simply perfect.

Bugs?

Do I want things that do not grow here? Oh yes! We lost precious Japanese Maples (one imported from New Zealand), collected over the years and moved from AL, TX to OK. One is still with us and pretty as can be. It came back after SO stuck what looked like a bundle of dead roots and wood into the ground without sun or weather cover. Scapes is closed until further notice. Then we will replant what did not make it through ice and snow 2020/2021. There goes my ElCamino:>(

What I have seen from your sister on DC over time is constant comparison CA/OK. Not a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma