Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,647 times

Advertisements

My family's possibly moving to Stillwater in January and I've been looking at real estate. I know new construction can be very sketchy nowadays.

I was wondering if anyone knows about Ideal Homes? They're building new homes in southwest Stillwater -

Also, they would be built with "Tornado ties and anchor bolts"? Would that be sufficient for tornado preparedness or would we need more?

Any help would be great as we prepare to look for the right home for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,224 times
Sorry for the late reply. I don’t currently live in Oklahoma but am considering Stillwater for retirement in three years. I would definitely consider Ideal homes as any measures to anchor the roof to the walls and foundation would help. I’ve read that these simple steps costing several hundred dollars can protect the home against 90-95% of tornadoes, which are EF2 or weaker. For greater storm resistance I’d look into insulating concrete form (ICF) construction. From what I understand the odds of being struck by a tornado in the Stillwater area are in the range of 1 in 800 in any given year. Not huge but I would like the peace of mind myself.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
For peace of mind, I had a closet in my new home reinforced with concrete blocks for tornado protection. Some people put a storm cellar in their two car garages with entrance between the two cars. Other people put a storm cellar in their backyards. I think they're eye sores and may take up too much room for what else you make want there. Guess I never heard of what to do to anchor the roof and walls when my home was built.

Currently a lot of homes are soon to start building at 32nd & S. Western. The northeast side is also booming.

Stillwater is a great place to retire if you want to avoid big city living, while not being too remote from a couple of them. Having airline service to Dallas-Ft. Worth is a plus. A major new attraction in Stillwater is OSU's McKnight Center for the Performing Arts. It's able to attract a large variety of world class acts. Most of the shows attract older people, rather than college students.

Old 02-27-2022, 07:34 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Ideal Homes started in Norman probably 30 something years ago. The fact that they are still around and have expanded their area is a good sign. I remember them being a respectable builder in the 1990s. Their homes were affordable but attractive. That group basically saved east Norman from becoming a slum. They put in a lot of nice developments in east Norman when nobody else would touch it.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:22 AM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvh1986 View Post
My family's possibly moving to Stillwater in January and I've been looking at real estate. I know new construction can be very sketchy nowadays.

I was wondering if anyone knows about Ideal Homes? They're building new homes in southwest Stillwater -

Also, they would be built with "Tornado ties and anchor bolts"? Would that be sufficient for tornado preparedness or would we need more?

Any help would be great as we prepare to look for the right home for us.
No, tornado ties and anchors aren’t sufficient. It’s just a sales gimmick. I’ve got the tornado shelter in the backyard. We can’t easily fit 8 people inside of it and you can stand up straight indie it.

The tornado shelters in the garage make you fill like you’re in a coffin. During the last big tornado in Moore a number of folks got trapped inside of them from storm debris and they started flooding from the rains. Good luck.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,224 times
The only structure that could have survived the Moore EF5 tornadoes unscathed would have been underground or heavily built of reinforced concrete. Fortunately those are rare (except in Moore, it seems). I never saw the sense of having a shelter in the garage. The doors rarely survive and the huge opening allows debris to get swept inside. I agree the best protection would be in a storm cellar or safe room, but it makes sense to consider a home that can survive the majority of storms. If you had an Ideal home with anchors and a storm cellar you’d be doing well. I lived in Oklahoma when I was a teenager and I enjoyed the storms then. My uncle lost his house to a tornado near Yukon in the early 70’s. They’re not as much fun once you become a homeowner, but still awe-inspiring. Last October my wife and I were camping near Checotah thinking we’d be safe that time of year-WRONG!!! Late at night two storm cells with radar-indicated rotation narrowly missed our campground. This was the same line of storms that spawned an outbreak of tornadoes, at least one of which struck Coweta. I have lived in several areas that have frequent thunderstorms but the almost continuous lighting visible through our trailer’s skylight was something I’ve only seen in Oklahoma. However I still like and miss the state sometimes, and might end up there.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:42 PM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
You can prep until you are blue in the face. You go when it is your time to go.
Name one place where there is no weather related issue.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:02 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You can prep until you are blue in the face. You go when it is your time to go.
Name one place where there is no weather related issue.
California by far. It doesn't have huge wildfires every year or even major earthquakes. Both aren't even weather related. Who knows how many people still dream of moving to California? Imagine having the view of the beach from your living room window every day and later that morning waking up to the view of the mountains from your bedroom window. It's hard to beat San Diego for year-round dreamy weather.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:30 AM

24,475 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
California by far. It doesn't have huge wildfires every year or even major earthquakes. Both aren't even weather related. Who knows how many people still dream of moving to California? Imagine having the view of the beach from your living room window every day and later that morning waking up to the view of the mountains from your bedroom window. It's hard to beat San Diego for year-round dreamy weather.
Let me rephrase - call it disaster instead of weather.
Weather is not everything. If it were - why are they leaving in droves?

Old 03-01-2022, 02:42 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
All that comes at a price. But I am all for trading my house in rural Oklahoma for one with a beach view in San Diego. Any takers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma