Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 7,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You pull up your work location and a decent street map. Local TV stations offer live traffic ticker. Waze is pretty good about real time directions and detours. That gives you an idea about commutes from A to wherever.

Google toll roads OK and it will bring you to the main website which goes into minute details. We opened our account at a visitor center and "feed" it on line.

Book into an extended stay accepting pets and check out your new area. Over 30 days and some of the hotel taxes do not apply. Check before committing.

Grocery stores are not the greatest as far as I can tell. Aldi is hit or miss, Cash Saver and local chains as well. There is always Sams and Costco. Your food cost will go up. What I miss are farmers markets. OKC has Little Saigon with one traditional Asian supermarket and one somewhat targeted towards the general population. Uptown is nice to browse for sales.
I appreciate the info you provided. Looks like about 45 minutes to an hour from Altus AFB to Lawton, each way. Not too bad when I am used to commuting from the Bay Area 1.5 hour to base one way. Living in Altus and Lawton both have their perks, I suppose.

Thank you for the info about the toll pass, I was wondering how that would get setup since I know I will be visiting OKC and Tulsa on weekends occasionally. I don't mind paying more for groceries if they are quality and healthy. Aldi here is hit or miss too and there are certain items I just don't fancy the taste of that they sell. Such as their corn tortillas...they taste off to me. They do have good veggie/vegan burgers some times but they aren't always on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 04:34 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen201 View Post
I appreciate the info you provided. Looks like about 45 minutes to an hour from Altus AFB to Lawton, each way. Not too bad when I am used to commuting from the Bay Area 1.5 hour to base one way. Living in Altus and Lawton both have their perks, I suppose.

Thank you for the info about the toll pass, I was wondering how that would get setup since I know I will be visiting OKC and Tulsa on weekends occasionally. I don't mind paying more for groceries if they are quality and healthy. Aldi here is hit or miss too and there are certain items I just don't fancy the taste of that they sell. Such as their corn tortillas...they taste off to me. They do have good veggie/vegan burgers some times but they aren't always on sale.
If you are going to commute to Altus I would strongly suggest you live in Cache. It's the nicest residential place in the Lawton area and would cut your commute time down by 10 or 15 minutes. Also Cache gives you access to the newer commercial part of Lawton better than most of Lawton does.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:02 PM

24,302 posts, read 13,149,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If you are going to commute to Altus I would strongly suggest you live in Cache. It's the nicest residential place in the Lawton area and would cut your commute time down by 10 or 15 minutes. Also Cache gives you access to the newer commercial part of Lawton better than most of Lawton does.
OP, if you're going to Altus AFB then Cache is about as far east as you'll want to go. Altus AFB is my servicing MPF and periodically I have to make the commute from the Indiahoma area where I work to Altus. I have actually had a couple of neighbors where I live who were KC-135 pilots, one still here, and make that commute, but it's no fun if the roads have any ice on them. Best to stay home/take leave unless you fit into the "essential personnel" category. What AFSC?

That new commercial district at 82nd and Quanah Parker Trailway/US 62 is not quite half empty now, a lot of places couldn't make it. Not unique to Lawton, they are folding everywhere (Payless Shoes, ULTA). The Target is nice, but not a Super Target.

On the plus side, Atwoods and Tractor Supply guarantee I'll have the parts for my tractor whenever I do my annual spring preparation and parts replacement.

A place we go to quite a bit as part of a shopping trip is Wichita Falls. Bigger than Lawton and a lot more to offer. United Market Street at Kell and Fairway has a significantly better selection of higher quality food products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma