Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Oh, please don't mention Tulsa. This probably has nothing to do with Tulsa and everything to do with me, but my dad was a car dealer and we moved to Tulsa before my senior year of high school. I spoke French, played the violin and had my head in a book most of the time. And I was 6'3". I might as well have been from Mars. I had *one* friend in high school, this AFS exchange student from Italy.

I was always miserable when I visited. Just the thought of Tulsa makes me unhappy.
It's kind of weird you said that. When I was a kid I had some cousins and an uncle and aunt who lived in Tulsa. The uncle was mentally ill and was dangerous. Credit to my folks for taking care of my aunt and cousins.

I too have some really bad memories of Tulsa and I think I might have a hard time living there due to that. I like Tulsa and think it's a nice place but yeah, it's hard to block that out sometimes.

You seem to be kind of artsy so in OKC you might do well in the Paseo or Mesta Park or Plaza areas. And Norman has some really nice neighborhoods for adults surrounding campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 01:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,912,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's kind of weird you said that. When I was a kid I had some cousins and an uncle and aunt who lived in Tulsa. The uncle was mentally ill and was dangerous. Credit to my folks for taking care of my aunt and cousins.

I too have some really bad memories of Tulsa and I think I might have a hard time living there due to that. I like Tulsa and think it's a nice place but yeah, it's hard to block that out sometimes.

You seem to be kind of artsy so in OKC you might do well in the Paseo or Mesta Park or Plaza areas. And Norman has some really nice neighborhoods for adults surrounding campus.
Sorry you went through that, exposure to a dangerous, mentally ill person. Not easy, especially for a child.

Not all of my memories of Tulsa are bad. I enjoyed playing in the Tulsa Philharmonic, Opera and Ballet orchestras--my first professional gigs, along with some freelancing through the AFM. Philbrook Art Museum was a favorite hangout, and the town hippies frequented a park near there. I was a little young for that, but sympathetic.

Don't know how to take the "artsy" comment, but sense you don't mean any harm.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,065,061 times
Quote:
My son finished school and I'm looking for a place to retire. My parents met in Guthrie and both sets of grandparents were there; I spent many happy hours there as a child. So it's definitely on the list, especially since there's now a medical marijuana dispensary there.

What is it like living there? Cost of living, crime, medical care? Anything you could tell me would be helpful.
What’s the old saying? “You can’t go home again?” Hopefully, you can spend time there before making a commitment and determine if you’ll like it.

Maybe I should listen to my own advice. I was beyond miserable in college. I was broke and struggled with every class. No one ever accused me of being “smart” but I am blessed with tons of common sense!

I also didn’t fit in well being surrounded by kids who were on average, 4 years younger than me. I was a vet having done 4 years in the service and while I served during peacetime, my job exposed me to more death and injury than the average service member or college student was exposed to during the same period (‘76-‘80). That messed with me.

Still, we’ve decided to retire near the same town where I went to college where I was so unhappy . Yes, I’ve taken my wife to the area and she loved it. We already have friends who live there and are anxious to join a local church and help others. While “it’ll be different” this time, I know my personality and my wife’s. We’ll go all-in to make it successful. If that’s your personality also, go for it....you’ll do just fine! Good luck!

Old 07-07-2019, 09:19 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:

Don't know how to take the "artsy" comment, but sense you don't mean any harm.
LOL. Certainly don't mean "artsy" to be a put down. Just my limited vocabulary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma