Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 PM

18 posts, read 21,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
If you've lived in South America and you've lived in Florida, I just do not think there will be a big adjustment for you heat-wise. Both areas that you have been in are extremely humid.

Here in Oklahoma the humidity can be felt, but it's not like those areas. I remember living in Florida and getting upset after I had just taken a shower, walking outside and feeling I needed to shower off again.
Yep. Back in my 20s when I lived in Florida, I hated the heat with a passion. Now that I'm cold all the time I don't think it bothers me as much. What bothers me now are the bugs. They're just relentless.

Quote:
Oklahoma just gets hot. Some people do not like it. Because I lived in some cold weather areas for a time (New England and northern Nevada) I just do mind the heat at all. I would much rather have warm/hot weather than cold weather. That's just me.

It sounds like you have lived a lot of places. I really do not think you'll have that hard of a time adjusting to the weather.
Yeah, I guess I'm more concerned with the high winds. That happens here in Uruguay though. Something thrown together might lose its roof. But normal houses seem to stay together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanning View Post
I discovered Guthrie earlier today. So that's looking interesting also. It looks like cell coverage is spotty in Cleveland county though. We'll test wherever we go though so maybe it doesn't matter.
You might like the scenic countryside on Route 66 just to the northeast of Oklahoma City. Arkadia Lake is a major landmark in that area. It would be closer to Edmond and Oklahoma City than the Guthrie area.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:47 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
It was 80 degrees in OKC, gonna be 82-83 degrees tomorrow and Wednesday. OKC does get breaks in the summer MOST summers but not all. This year we are getting them.

As to this winter, on another thread I was able to research the 90 days of last winter (December, Jan, Feb). 25 days it didn't get to 40 degrees for a high (almost all in the three weeks B&C described). 25 days had a high of between 40-55 degrees and 40 days had a high of over 55 degrees.

Where I live there was no snow this winter with a couple of days where it was icy but didn't last. It was pretty mild this winter. Probably a 7-8 out of 10 on the mild side. Every winter has mild days it just depends on how often and how prolonged the punctuated cold snaps are. In a bad winter the can be three or four of those lasting one to three weeks.
OR
There can be intermittent ice storms where it doesn't get warm enough to melt things that can complicate things for a week or three.

Rarely is winter bad because of too much snowfall. Maybe one out of 10 at most.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It was 80 degrees in OKC, gonna be 82-83 degrees tomorrow and Wednesday. OKC does get breaks in the summer MOST summers but not all. This year we are getting them.

As to this winter, on another thread I was able to research the 90 days of last winter (December, Jan, Feb). 25 days it didn't get to 40 degrees for a high (almost all in the three weeks B&C described). 25 days had a high of between 40-55 degrees and 40 days had a high of over 55 degrees.

Where I live there was no snow this winter with a couple of days where it was icy but didn't last. It was pretty mild this winter. Probably a 7-8 out of 10 on the mild side. Every winter has mild days it just depends on how often and how prolonged the punctuated cold snaps are. In a bad winter the can be three or four of those lasting one to three weeks.
OR
There can be intermittent ice storms where it doesn't get warm enough to melt things that can complicate things for a week or three.

Rarely is winter bad because of too much snowfall. Maybe one out of 10 at most.
Thanks for the info. Low 80s in July sounds great. What's a hot day there? 95? 100? 105?

After frequent 5 to 10 degree days in Chicago, the winter sounds easy. :-)

Old 07-30-2018, 11:50 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Low 80s in July sounds great. What's a hot day there? 95? 100? 105?

After frequent 5 to 10 degree days in Chicago, the winter sounds easy. :-)

Anything over about 95 in the summer is somewhat uncomfortable. Usually the hotter it gets the humidity starts to drop. But make no mistake, it CAN get 105 and even 110 degrees here. Most summers it will rarely get over 100 degrees but one or two a decade can get above 100 degrees in June and stay up there for weeks a time. This summer has been pretty typical. Hot weather punctuated by breaks of 80ish weather. The bad news is that August a lot of years is where it gets to 100 degrees and stays there.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Anything over about 95 in the summer is somewhat uncomfortable. Usually the hotter it gets the humidity starts to drop. But make no mistake, it CAN get 105 and even 110 degrees here. Most summers it will rarely get over 100 degrees but one or two a decade can get above 100 degrees in June and stay up there for weeks a time. This summer has been pretty typical. Hot weather punctuated by breaks of 80ish weather. The bad news is that August a lot of years is where it gets to 100 degrees and stays there.
Sounds like what I would expect. When it gets over 100, does the electrical grid start having problems handling the load from everyone running their a/c?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Sounds like what I would expect. When it gets over 100, does the electrical grid start having problems handling the load from everyone running their a/c?

Not at all.

And, if need be, you can always make an Oklahoma Cooling System...

Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:

Especially when its soggy hot, I live in my computer chair, which is right next to the computer when is blown on directly by the window AC. Before it died, I had a second to cover the front. And if it was damp heat I took the fan to bed aimed at me too.

As someone who was used to socal, the heat here is different, but its hot. It may not cool off at night either. Plan for a good dog and cat crash spot by the ac too, or they'll run you off the couch.

Then, when you are finally getting some grip on the heat, winter comes and it all flips over everything and you go seeking your warm stuff which make good layers.

Wind wise, I came from somewhere it was always windy so I just sort of see it as something normal.

Also, if you can't get the place cool enough, remember a fan to blow on the laptop so it doesn't run so hot your pocketbook ends of stretched for one who blew itself out.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Sunday we had 109 on the patio. Yesterday we had the windows open. Monday night high winds and toad stranglers. At 100 the power company takes us off the grid to generator.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:44 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times
2006, 2011, and 2012 were some of the hottest summers in recent years.

2006:
Days over 95°: 68
Consecutive days: 28
Days over 100°: 38
Consecutive days: 12
Days over 105°: 9
Consecutive days: 5

2011: (Hottest summer on record)
Days over 95°: 85
Consecutive days: 43
Days over 100°: 63
Consecutive days: 12 and 13
Days over 105°: 21
Consecutive days: 7
Days over 110°: 3
Consecutive days: 1 and 2

2012:
Days over 95°: 62
Consecutive days: 33
Days over 100°: 34
Consecutive days: 18
Days over 105°: 11
Consecutive days: 7
Days over 110°: 3
Consecutive days: 3

All Time highest temps for OKC
113° - Aug 3rd, 2012
112° - Aug 1st & 2nd 2012
110° - July 9th, Aug 5th & 6th 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma