Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Did you notice that she said she was stuck in the "Midwest"? That "someone we know" isn't gonna like that.

I know when did they move Oklahoma to the Midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:20 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I know when did they move Oklahoma to the Midwest?

She must be talking about Tulsa Oklahoma

Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Tulsa is more Midwest than Southern.

OKC does not seem very Southern either, except in a Texas Southern sort of way.

Remember, it is largely about perception, and people often say that Oklahoma is Midwest. So, it is Midwest to that extent.

I know that this has been discussed a few times here LOL.

The North -South line passes through Oklahoma somewhere just south of OKC, passes through near Eufaula, into Arkansas near Fort Smith, above Hot Springs, just above Little Rock, above Memphis, and on East. The transition zone towards "real south" is somewhere between Muskogee and Fort Smith. If you get much West of there, it is not the South, but an Oklahoma/Texas version of the South. That's how I see it...

Last edited by teakboat; 08-06-2018 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 03:21 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Tulsa is more Midwest than Southern.

OKC does not seem very Southern either, except in a Texas Southern sort of way.

Remember, it is largely about perception, and people often say that Oklahoma is Midwest. So, it is Midwest to that extent.

I know that this has been discussed a few times here LOL.

The North -South line passes through Oklahoma somewhere just south of OKC, passes through near Eufaula, into Arkansas near Fort Smith, above Hot Springs, just above Little Rock, above Memphis, and on East. The transition zone towards "real south" is somewhere between Muskogee and Fort Smith. If you get much West of there, it is not the South, but an Oklahoma/Texas version of the South. That's how I see it...

I think Tulsa and OKC and a lot of the rest of Oklahoma are sort of liked mixed race children who are forced to declare an ethnic group on a form.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:31 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think Tulsa and OKC and a lot of the rest of Oklahoma are sort of liked mixed race children who are forced to declare an ethnic group on a form.
You wanted to say forum?

Cannot say much about Tulsa. Can say a little bit about OKC. It is working on it, cleaning up the metro area, drawing businesses, expanding parks, updating infrastructure. Even miracles take time and money. Complaining has never and nowhere done much good. Put on big girl panties and whatever the socially acceptable counterpart is and do your part.

Do I miss DFW/DC shopping? Yes. there are alternatives.
Do I miss choices in grocery stores? Yes, and now I get beef at an ice cream parlor.

English is second language to me and I can hang the thing on the wall that someone paid good money for it. I do not hear a lot of soft Southern drawl. More precise pronunciation, rather clean syntax. Some old quirky terms such as convoluted or might can do or fiddle sticks:>)

No matter where you move to - continent, country, state, city - people do not like to be told that they are backwards and you know it all. Somehow they managed and will manage. So - tune it down. I still see myself as kind of guest. OKC is not Boston. Personal circumstances, temper, perception - take a step back and look at it from the other angle.

On the lighter side - Lake Hefner for reenactment of a Tea Party anyone?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 13,424 times
Sorry for the late reply. I grew up in a jewish neighborhood in Boston and half my family is Jewish. Here I haven't met one single Jew. Or one single person from Boston. Someone told me they hate the northeast US accents the most and we are rude. Honestly the person who said it has a horrible life and is just a miserable person in a job I just started. I let it get to me way too much and it got so bad I had to go into HR at my company. There are idiots everywhere.

Oklahoma is growing on me. There is a very different culture...But I love how polite people are, the affordability or living, the low crime. I love it when my son calls me maam. I love that the men in business meetings at work offer their seat to ladies when there are not enough chairs in the conference. It may seem like not a big deal but your begin to feel like the world cares about nice. I have no family for 1500 miles but yet when my car had issues in the ice storm I loved how quickly someone came to help when they didn't know or have any motive but being kind. I can see how you are coined the "friendly state!" I miss the big city, I miss the ocean, mountains of the Northeast but am realizing this place has a lot of pros other places lack in.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:51 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,364 times
Glad to see you are coming around.
If you owned a Jeep I could introduce you to a lot of friends real quick.
Oklahoma has a variety of terrain and environments from sand dunes and a salt lake to National Forest and "mountains".
No ocean but there are still things to do if you like the outdoors.
Like you said there are idiots everywhere and on occasion they seem to congregate together, don't let them get to you and hopefully you can make the best of your time here.

I am not from Oklahoma so I don't feel a need to defend it, I would rather live in Colorado personally but OK isn't a bad place to live. We've got our problems (Government) but overall the state and the people are good.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Thanks for coming back. We are used to getting a lot of drive by shooting. I'm glad you are doing a little better. I'd admit that coming from the NE corridor it would take time to adjust. Sorry about the one person. There is always one. Of course it works the other way. If I were to go to Boston they'd think I was a dumb 'ole Okie. They might be right.

As far as the jewish issue. I think there is just one Conservative Synagogue and one Reformed in OKC. I believe Edmond and Norman have some organized activities. There are also a couple of Messianic Jewish groups in OKC. And of course there are some non practicing Jewish people in town, but not very many in terms of just being able to run into them.

OKC is big enough that it has just about everything a bigger city has just in very small doses. I hope you continue to have more good experiences here than bad and you feel more comfortable here. When you go back to Boston and they tell you you sound like a hick...………...You'll know you have arrived.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Everyone?

Accents and differing worldviews are the norm. Sorry if my view is different. I guess there ARE people here who don't fit in to your negative view of Okies. Maybe you should stop generalizing and saying "everyone". You are in good company, we have a few malcontents who love to air out their grievances here.

Chittycagodudette and bawac will chime in I think.

Seriously? You feel you have to apologize for your wombing out?! LMAO! You? Obnoxious? . I love it.
While I am not fond of MA and its people (lived on Cape Cod for 25 years) I am from the Netherlands which makes me speak in a no-nonsense way which is viewed as being abrupt by many people here.

I decided to 1. ignore those who cannot see beyond that (the narrow minded ones) and 2. smile a lot and soften my tone a bit.

Of course you, Redbird, and yours are always loving and pleasant. I miss y'all .... when do we get together again?

Old 08-18-2018, 07:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
dang furriners everywhere!

hey!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma