Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:41 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_Sta...ve_(June_2018)

Tuesday Oklahomans will decide the fate of State Question 788 - Medical Marijuana Legalization. Polling done the past month shows close to 2/3rds of voters will vote yes. Most in the know believe it will pass.

I personally don't smoke pot it is just not for me. But I do think that adults should be able to make that decision without the government telling them they can't or even worse putting them in prison for it.

What do other people here in Oklahoma think? Are you for or against it and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
That is a fire hot topic. If I saw it correctly an individual can grow up to 40 pounds in a year. How many roaches does that make? Can those who really need it or think they need it afford to grow it financially, physically and have a place to do so not to mention keep bag worms out?

Old 06-23-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
That is a fire hot topic. If I saw it correctly an individual can grow up to 40 pounds in a year. How many roaches does that make? Can those who really need it or think they need it afford to grow it financially, physically and have a place to do so not to mention keep bag worms out?
I just did the math maximum would be 15 pounds a year. You can have 5 mature plants, 4 months to grow one plant and each produces 1 pound. 15 pounds. But if its 40 pounds who cares. A person can buy as much alcohol or cigarettes as they want. It should be your own business what you consume as long as you are not putting others in harms way.

In states where medical marijuana has been legalized, there have been almost no issues. Only people who will be impacted negatively are drug dealers selling it on the street

The one thing that might be a problem is employers cannot fire or not hire someone who smokes pot and who has a medical marijuana card. That's why some employers are against it.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,812,226 times
A mature plant outdoors may yield a pound, but there is only one outdoor growing season a year. Indoors, one to two ounces per plant is a more realistic number.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
A mature plant outdoors may yield a pound, but there is only one outdoor growing season a year. Indoors, one to two ounces per plant is a more realistic number.

I will take your word for that. I have never grown marijuana just googled the information. So it might be 7 pounds not 40 pounds. There is no good argument to vote against it in my opinion. A few dumb reasons.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Those who are opposed to SQ788, such as those who are for medical marijuana but not SQ788, don't seem to realize that the state legislature has the power to change it considerably. By the name they are through with it, I won't be surprised the no side will be more happy with the results than the yes side.

The TV ads against SQ788 reek of modern day reefer madness. If medical marijuana is so bad, then why don't opponents put on TV ads that go with someone saying like, "Oklahoma, don't vote yes on SQ788. My doctor recommended I use medical marijuana for my illness and I nearly lost my mind and became even more ill. For a while the doctor worried, if I would live much longer." I bet you won't see an ad like that by Tuesday.

The Texas Republican party recently overwhelmingly voted to put decriminalized marijuana in their state party platform, meaning a fine of $100 for possession of small amounts and no jail time. Canada later this year will legalize and regulate recreational marijuana. Now its questionable after all those repeated Reefer Madness TV ads, if Oklahoma is going to vote yes for SQ788. I, for one, will vote YES.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-24-2018 at 12:05 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Those who are opposed to SQ788, such as those who are for medical marijuana but not SQ788, don't seem to realize that the state legislature has the power to change it considerably. By the name they are through with it, I won't be surprised the no side will be more happy with the results than the yes side.

The TV ads against SQ788 reek of modern day reefer madness. If medical marijuana is so bad, then why don't opponents put on TV ads that go with someone saying like, "Oklahoma, don't vote yes on SQ788. My doctor recommended I use medical marijuana for my illness and I nearly lost my mind and became even more ill. For a while the doctor worried, if I would live much longer." I bet you won't see an ad like that by Tuesday.

The Texas Republican party recently overwhelmingly voted to put decriminalized marijuana in their state party platform, meaning a fine of $100 for possession of small amounts and no jail time. Canada later this year will legalize and regulate recreational marijuana. Now its questionable after all those repeated Reefer Madness TV ads, if Oklahoma is going to vote yes for SQ788. I, for one, will vote YES.
There is a cosmic shift on this. Arkansas passed it last year. Utah is expected to later this year. I look at from my libertarian perspective. Prohibiting people from doing things they want to do and is not harming others never works. Even if those reefer madness ads had any truth to them I still think people should be able to decide what is good or bad for them. People consume all sorts of things that harm them that are perfectly legal.

I was in Arizona when medical marijuana was approved. And then the state tried everything to delay its start and gut the original proposition almost like they were getting even with the voters who dared to approve such a thing. So the end result was stripped way down from what the voters approved. From what I have read I am afraid that will happen here too if it passes. Then the kept delaying its start finally public pressure got it rolling.

My guess is they won't allow the part that stops companies from firing pot users, and the doctor recommendation will be more strict. Those are the two issues that seem to the most negative response. Even now in Arizona landlords can tell tenants they can be evicted for Marijuana use and employers can fire them if they test positive for it.

And growing plants in your yard anywhere in Oklahoma will probably not stand. Arizona made sure that that they got a cut of all the marijuana sold and only you can grow if you are 25 miles from a dispensary. The way Arizona is laid out very few people live 25 miles from a dispensary. Lots of undeveloped land. Oklahoma is laid out differently. There are houses covering almost the entire state just spread out in the rural areas. So my guess is there will be some sort of rule that at least will make OKC and Tulsa Metro areas no grow zones. The state will want the revenue and people that grow their own will cut into that.

There is always going to be a faction of people who think that everyone needs to live under the rules of whatever religious doctrine they adhere to. But their grip on things even in the red states is waining.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-24-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 12:56 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I have yet to read anything here that does not end with religion.

Do whatever pleases you as long as you hurt yourself only and you do not expect me to pick up the tab at the end.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Religion shouldn't really even be in the discussion at all. I mean seriously, why should pastors have the authority to deny people beneficial medicine because they are worried somebody, somewhere will use recreationally? However, this is Oklahoma and the Baptist church is to Oklahoma what the Mormon church is to Utah. The Baptist church still has a puritanical side that wants laws that guarantee nobody anywhere can have any fun. They also tend to think that just because something is illegal that it doesn't exist. Oklahoma and Utah are the two states where de-facto theocracy is still in place and the church is almost an additional branch of government.

If medical marijuana passes here, the tide has turned nationwide. Oklahoma is the most conservative and religious authoritarian state in the US.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
The no side presented the debate as if we were really voting on legalizing recreational marijuana, like in Colorado. No, we weren't, and I hope voters were appalled by the misleading no campaign, weren't going to be fooled, and voted YES. Hopefully, joining them will be plenty of cops, pastors, and doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma