Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 647 times

Advertisements

My car, according to KB, is valued at $16.00. If I scrap it, I would get $150.

I have the state minimum insurance coverage.

If I'm in an accident, and the other driver has full coverage, can I expect another car or will they cut me a check for $16?

This conundrum makes me wonder why I have insurance at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 AM

664 posts, read 2,098,719 times
If the accident is the other persons fault their insurance company will try to offer you a low ball amount for your vehicle.

You have liability insurance so in case the accident is your fault the other person is "taken care" of to the least of the insurance companies ability.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,270,741 times
Uhhh, did you type that correctly? Sixteen dollars?

Is that with or without a full tank of gas?

Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ygfee35689ojgf View Post

If I'm in an accident, and the other driver has full coverage, can I expect another car or will they cut me a check for $16?

They say that anyone making a left turn is always at fault , therefore I was assigned the fault for this accident. I was crossing three lanes of traffic in " A Anti Gridlock Zone " two lanes of traffic the #1 and #3 lanes had stopped and were giving me the right of way , however the middle lane came barreling through not even seeing me and plowed into me.

I was given the right of way by two other motorist and (Assumed) that the lady in the Middle Lane driving a big Cargo Van was going to give me the right of way also and come to a complete stop.

"Assumptions" making (ashes) out of you and me!!! The lady was wrong for not seeing me riding high up in a Cargo Van not even hitting her brakes before the Collision. I was wrong for not waiting for her to come to a complete stop.

I was driving a Convertible Volkswagen Cabriolet that was totally destroyed , her cargo van was not seriously damaged and was still drivable. I think that she was actually trying to jump in front of the number one lane motorist that had come to a complete stop.

I found a Lawyer that said that they could have won the case if I could swear in a court of Law that there wasn't enough room for the Cargo Van on the opposite side of the " Anti Gridlock Zone , but I didn't even take a look.

That is one thing that I'm going to look for the next time that I'm hit in a (Anti Gridlock Zone). If you can't get 100% of your vehicle through the Anti Gridlock Zone you are at fault . The other motorist Reckless driving is not going to get you off the hook if you fail to wait for traffic to come to a complete stop!!! Because traffic making a left turn never have the right of way.

Now back to your Insurance question basic liability insurance only covers the other person car when you are at fault , I have a useless Volkswagen Convertible sitting in my driveway that I can probably junk for $150.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ygfee35689ojgf View Post

We have insurance in the state of California , because if you don't the state , county and city is coming after you.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 PM

14,386 posts, read 11,798,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
They say that anyone making a left turn is always at fault , therefore I was assigned the fault for this accident. I was crossing three lanes of traffic in " A Anti Gridlock Zone " two lanes of traffic the #1 and #3 lanes had stopped and were giving me the right of way , however the middle lane came barreling through not even seeing me and plowed into me.
I was in a very similar accident, also in California. Three lanes of traffic, lanes #1 and #2 stopped and were waving me through. I proceeded slowly and a car came speeding down lane #3 and we collided.

I was willing to accept most of the blame; however, the car that hit me was driving too fast for conditions (red light and stopped traffic ahead). So it was assigned as 80% my fault, 20% her fault.

Ever since then I avoid situations where people who have the right of way stop to let me pass. If you have the right of way, keep going! It's what other drivers are expecting and while you may think you are being kind to stop for them, it's too dangerous.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:07 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,597,249 times
Interesting. I was also in an accident of this type, only I was the one in the travel lane who hit the person making a left turn. The other driver was found at fault and their insurance paid for the damage to my car. The other car was a rather expensive looking newer car and mine was 13 years old.

The other driver claimed I was speeding. I wasn't. I had my father in law in the car and didnt dare go over the posted speed limit.

The other driver said he saw me coming. He even claimed he noted that I was And going fast. (I was doing the posted speed limit) And yet he still pulled out in front of me anyway, because others had waved him on. His poor judgement.

I didn't see him because those in the lane to the left of me blocked my view of the intersection. They were also stoped to make a left turn into the place the car I hit was coming out of. My lane was clear. I had a green light and I had no reason to think I needed to slow down.

You are responsible for making sure you can safely pull out when making a turn into a flow of traffic. Don't trust other people to make that judgement call for you.

If your car is woth only $16 then I would not expect much from the insurance company. If it is worth $1600 you might have to do some negotiating but I have been able to get insurace to pay me enough to buy another car of similar value, when my late husband got rearended and the car totaled. I had to argue my case with the insurance angent that they had to make me whole again but thehy did finally give me a reasonable setlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma