Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,525 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

First time poster here. We've lived in Edmond for a while now and have seen it go from a great small-big town to a thriving connected part of the OKC metro, but the last 3 years it seems Edmond is turning a corner. Robberies, break ins, purse snatching right on Broadway and 15th, cars shot at randomly, and ne'er-do-wells wandering the streets on foot. And the dang bicyclists driving right down the middle of the road at 2mph. Oh wait, that's allowed now.

Anyway, we're a country family at heart. We want to move out in the sticks somewhere we can buy about 40 acres, shoot without the neighbors freaking out, dig a lake and stock it, buy a few horses, and put up a house/barn. We're looking for a place with ready gas stations and grocery options (we're not looking to spend our entire time growing our own food, haha), and decent schools for our 5 kids. My wife is an educator so it's not entirely out of the question that we home-school.

But here's the catch...we need to be within about an hour of OKC.

Anyone have experience in the OKC Metro boonies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,721,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaginHand View Post
Hey everyone!

First time poster here. We've lived in Edmond for a while now and have seen it go from a great small-big town to a thriving connected part of the OKC metro, but the last 3 years it seems Edmond is turning a corner. Robberies, break ins, purse snatching right on Broadway and 15th, cars shot at randomly, and ne'er-do-wells wandering the streets on foot. And the dang bicyclists driving right down the middle of the road at 2mph. Oh wait, that's allowed now.

Anyway, we're a country family at heart. We want to move out in the sticks somewhere we can buy about 40 acres, shoot without the neighbors freaking out, dig a lake and stock it, buy a few horses, and put up a house/barn. We're looking for a place with ready gas stations and grocery options (we're not looking to spend our entire time growing our own food, haha), and decent schools for our 5 kids. My wife is an educator so it's not entirely out of the question that we home-school.

But here's the catch...we need to be within about an hour of OKC.

Anyone have experience in the OKC Metro boonies?
Not much, really, but I've driven on Highway 105 east of Guthrie, and thought it was nice looking countryside without it being too ruler flat or too treeless. It's under an hour from OKC. I don't know how good Guthrie schools are.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks StillwaterTownie! Guthrie schools are horrible. Though the whole place isn't bad. I did work there for a few years and the country folk are great. City folk not so much. I still have friends without kids that live in Guthrie and love the quiet surrounding them. We go duck hunting every few years!

Old 03-14-2018, 02:38 PM

664 posts, read 2,100,685 times
Looked around Piedmont?
Easy to get to NW Expressway and the city.

Arcadia maybe?
Easy access to I-35 and the turnpike.

I have lived in SW Logan County for over a decade and it is slowly getting less and less country, unfortunately.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Looked around Piedmont?

Arcadia maybe?

I have lived in SW Logan County for over a decade and it is slowly getting less and less country, unfortunately.
Thanks PreRunner, Piedmont might be an option. I'll check it out! Arcadia has a nice enough lake (no fish though) but it isn't the right demographic for us. https://www.city-data.com/city/Arcadia-Oklahoma.html We're looking for a place to settle down and raise some kids that'll stay safe for the next 10-20 years. You wouldn't know it by driving through it, but Arcadia has a lot of NE OKC migration.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:07 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,735,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Looked around Piedmont?

Arcadia maybe?

Piedmont is okay but for that amount of land you'll need to go further north towards Cashion.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:55 AM

286 posts, read 641,272 times
Good luck. It Appears to me that Edmond wants density to increase their retail tax base. And more growth to that end. I’ve been looking as well and it’s difficult even finding just 10 acres much less 40.

Edmond is going to become more dense in population imo with land being parsed for optimization of tax base.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:22 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,735,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobJoeBobWilly View Post
Good luck. It Appears to me that Edmond wants density to increase their retail tax base. And more growth to that end. I’ve been looking as well and it’s difficult even finding just 10 acres much less 40.

Edmond is going to become more dense in population imo with land being parsed for optimization of tax base.

Anything 10 acres or larger in the metro area the developers are gobbling up. I saw some 5 acre lots in Piedmont that a developer has "slashed" prices on. Now only $80,000 each. And 1/3 of the acreages are all taken up by a large meandering pond/swamp.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,134 times
Have you ever thought about moving south?! I live in Washington, OK! It’s pretty small but I’m 15 min from Walmart and we can make it to Edmond in an hour so I assume depending on where your going in OKC you could get there within an hour or so!
We have great schools, and just got a Dollar General [movin on up!! ��]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma