Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 9,354 times

Advertisements

Is it legal to charge a full month's rent starting on the 1st when you can't get possession of the apartment until the 15th of the month? Prime Place in Stillwater OK is charging a full month's rent on August 1, but saying the "move in " date is not until the 15th; the apartments are in the process of being built, but....That's like taking our money with nothing in return for 2 weeks... any suggestions? This should be on a 15th to 15th lease or pro=rated the first month! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 03:31 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Why agree to it?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 PM

78 posts, read 121,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgale View Post
Is it legal to charge a full month's rent starting on the 1st when you can't get possession of the apartment until the 15th of the month? Prime Place in Stillwater OK is charging a full month's rent on August 1, but saying the "move in " date is not until the 15th; the apartments are in the process of being built, but....That's like taking our money with nothing in return for 2 weeks... any suggestions? This should be on a 15th to 15th lease or pro=rated the first month! Help!
Did you sign a lease that specifically states the move in date will be August 1st? If so they are in violation of their agreement.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 AM

Well, the establishment caters to the students for Oklahoma State University; and most of them aren't skilled at negotiating and fair lease for themselves -- basically the lease is shown to them, they're told this is the way it is...and they sign. And again since they're negotiating parents' money, they don't know they can ask for something different. Anyway -- just wondered if there were any suggestions.... The Manager said we could start our payments on Sept 1, rather than Aug 1, but that 30 days of rent (roughly $850) raises the monthly amount for the rest of the term.... Oh well.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 AM

78 posts, read 121,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgale View Post
Well, the establishment caters to the students for Oklahoma State University; and most of them aren't skilled at negotiating and fair lease for themselves -- basically the lease is shown to them, they're told this is the way it is...and they sign. And again since they're negotiating parents' money, they don't know they can ask for something different. Anyway -- just wondered if there were any suggestions.... The Manager said we could start our payments on Sept 1, rather than Aug 1, but that 30 days of rent (roughly $850) raises the monthly amount for the rest of the term.... Oh well.
I would tell them they can rip that lease up since it is no longer valid, paying higher amounts the rest of the term for an apartment that isn't ready for you to move into is total BS. You can find another apartment in town.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato bandito View Post
I would tell them they can rip that lease up since it is no longer valid, paying higher amounts the rest of the term for an apartment that isn't ready for you to move into is total BS. You can find another apartment in town.
Right. An example is the apartment complex on Virginia a couple of blocks east of the Perkins Rd. Wal-Mart. It might be okay, unless being closer to OSU is desired.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:56 AM

It is complete BS -- I just wish there were an attorney that felt like biting into a big juicy corporate abuse case.... students have no idea, and there's no one looking out for them, I'm not saying that a large percentage of students don't just trash the place, but treating them like they're lambs led to slaughter....eh eh, it's disgusting how they approach the captive audience. The lease is so harsh sounding it makes me angry just to read it, BUT.... my kid is one of those that just signed on the dotted line "Cause they said that's the way it was..."

It just angers me how power is abused...but that's a daily story across the country I know.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
I would avoid Prime Place at all costs. My current girlfriend moved into the Prime Place off 4th and Hester. Apartments were hastily put together and you could tell. Lots of corners cut during construction, paint didn't match, extremely cheap materials (scratched the floor with rolling luggage). Management was terrible. Several times they walked into the apartment unannounced to do maintenance. (The 9mm H&K piston in the night stand almost met them a few times because we weren't aware they were coming). We had many issues with the place and ended up moving her to a duplex off Lakeview and Husband.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintc93 View Post
I would avoid Prime Place at all costs. My current girlfriend moved into the Prime Place off 4th and Hester. Apartments were hastily put together and you could tell. Lots of corners cut during construction, paint didn't match, extremely cheap materials (scratched the floor with rolling luggage). Management was terrible. Several times they walked into the apartment unannounced to do maintenance. (The 9mm H&K piston in the night stand almost met them a few times because we weren't aware they were coming). We had many issues with the place and ended up moving her to a duplex off Lakeview and Husband.
Prime Place from its ugly multi-level parking garage is one of the biggest eye sores in Stillwater. I wouldn't be surprised if the leadership of OSU is unhappy with it. Meanwhile, I hope they're not doing a low quality rush job on that huge new apartment complex under construction, located several blocks east of Eskimos Joe's. It, too, has a multi-level parking garage.

Surely, the Planning Commission and Stillwater City Council should check into the background and reputation of these apartment companies, before they are issued a permit to build. At least huge apartment complexes have not been allowed to be built elsewhere in a number of cases in Stillwater, because a bunch of home owners didn't want one built next to them.

Lakeview and Husband is a nice area while not having to put up with the noise and traffic congestion of living along N. Perkins Rd.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-27-2014 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,360 times
Does anyone know the policy regarding breaking your lease with Prime Place in Stillwater? They horrible and my boyfriend wants out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: