Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:12 PM

536 posts, read 961,451 times

Advertisements

Sure is a wide diversity of scenery in Oklahoma! It seems Lawton is a high crime area? I was checking into that since it's close to Duncan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Sure is a wide diversity of scenery in Oklahoma! It seems Lawton is a high crime area? I was checking into that since it's close to Duncan.
Yes, Lawton being a military base has high crime but Cache, Elgin and a few other little towns are around Lawton that are excellent places to live.

As to Oklahoma having a wide diversity of scenery. By the way scientists measure (ecoregions) Oklahoma has more distinct regions than any other states except Alaska, and California. Texas and Oklahoma are next.

Hopefully you can get down here and check it out. Oklahoma is not the prettiest state out there but it holds it's own.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, Lawton being a military base has high crime but Cache, Elgin and a few other little towns are around Lawton that are excellent places to live.

As to Oklahoma having a wide diversity of scenery. By the way scientists measure (ecoregions) Oklahoma has more distinct regions than any other states except Alaska, and California. Texas and Oklahoma are next.

Hopefully you can get down here and check it out. Oklahoma is not the prettiest state out there but it holds it's own.

Yes, we are planning an OK trip. I'm looking forward to it. I know one thing, it seems like the wind is high in most places in OK. At least on city-data is shows the wind levels to be high. Does that mean the wind blows all the time, or is it seasonal? We get a lot of wind around my area, and at times it can be pretty gusty. But it does settle down, and we have days when it's just a slight breeze, or completely calm.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
The wind doesn't settle down much until July and August when you need it most from the heat.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The wind doesn't settle down much until July and August when you need it most from the heat.

LOL that figures. We get a lot of wind around my area, and so much so, that I've lost the majority of my wind chimes. I buy cheap ones now!

Old 06-26-2021, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 677 times
If you're fundie, fundie lite or IFB you'll love it here...

This is the city with that fundie lite pastor (James Clark) who impregnated his 14yr old cousin (Jaighla Clark) when he was 18!!! Ran from another city in TX. They're married and have several children now. Her backstory is horrific... mother married 3 or 4 convicted sex offenders, similar to the Duggar kids, it's all on r/fundiesnark. Duncan, Oklahoma protects him of course bc Jeebus.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/1975886162665...7834896803900/

Last edited by kierra_morrison275; 06-26-2021 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Sources updated (newstory CBS)

Old 07-12-2021, 11:11 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Fairview is the town by the Glass mountains, although the land around the "mountains" is fairly flat. South of there is more wide open rolling terrain.

Weatherford is probably the best town in western Oklahoma and between there and Clinton are some high points where you could get some property with a view. There is a place called the White Dog restaurant that is just east of Clinton that has a tremendous view from their patio. Pretty good food as well.

There also are some flat areas that have views of the Wichita mountains which are nice (for around here). Altus, Hobart, and around Lawton, OK,
Yeah, the Wichitas are closer to actual mountains, unlike the Glass Mountains, which are merely bigger than usual buttes in northwest Oklahoma.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:19 PM

24,292 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, the Wichitas are closer to actual mountains, unlike the Glass Mountains, which are merely bigger than usual buttes in northwest Oklahoma.
My wife is from Fairview, and I always question the "mountains" term when I see them.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:11 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Yes, we are planning an OK trip. I'm looking forward to it. I know one thing, it seems like the wind is high in most places in OK. At least on city-data is shows the wind levels to be high. Does that mean the wind blows all the time, or is it seasonal? We get a lot of wind around my area, and at times it can be pretty gusty. But it does settle down, and we have days when it's just a slight breeze, or completely calm.
Oklahoma, as a rule, is more windy as you move east to west across the state. And is more windy in the spring. However, just like where you are there are plenty of days that it is just breezy or is calm. Usually settles down in the evening compared to daytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma