Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times

Advertisements

Excellent points by eddie gein. (Isn't eddie gein the name of a mass murderer?)

Tribally speaking I think its pretty cool to see all the different tribes in this state with their own unique cultural ceremonies.

The Ponca sing northern plains syle, the Choctaws, Seminole/Creek have the stomp dance brought from SW USA, KCA (Kiowa/Comanche/Apache) are definitely southern plains, and the Pottowatomie (People of the Fire) bring the Great Lakes influence.
Delaware tribe is in Anadarko, the first tribe to sign a treaty with US is definitely eastern woodlands. And the Tonkawas hail from the TX gulf coast area.
I remember my cousin coaching me on the distinctive dress which enabled one to tell which tribe each person was from at the pow wows.

As far as accents go, I went to Haskell Indian Jr. College where there were tribes from all directions of the US, and the accents were much easier to compare and contrast.
I remember one boy from TX who had a pure TX accent, another kid from NC who we called cornbread, his accent was THICK southern, and of course, the OK accents were pretty much determined by how far from town they were raised.

And they all used to say I had an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:27 PM

41 posts, read 180,470 times
Oh and theres definitely a decrease of accents in the urban areas, Tulsa and OKC. I think the accents are much stronger in the "country" areas.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 PM

689 posts, read 2,060,045 times
I remember reading - a long time ago - Encyclopaedia Britannica, I think, that Oklahoma is west, south central. Makes sense. It's on the western edge of the south central US.

A little funny about accents. When I worked at Tinker AFB, we met several foreign liaison officers with the AWACS program. We took a German couple to the Haunted House restaurant, which was owned by a native German couple who had been in Oklahoma a long time. One of the owners was there that night and the Germans slipped into their native language. We could actually hear the southern accent in the owner's German. She didn't say auf weidersehen y'all, but there was a definite Okie drawl to her German.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

17,826 posts, read 13,741,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Excellent points by eddie gein. (Isn't eddie gein the name of a mass murderer?)

Tribally speaking I think its pretty cool to see all the different tribes in this state with their own unique cultural ceremonies.

The Ponca sing northern plains syle, the Choctaws, Seminole/Creek have the stomp dance brought from SW USA, KCA (Kiowa/Comanche/Apache) are definitely southern plains, and the Pottowatomie (People of the Fire) bring the Great Lakes influence.
Delaware tribe is in Anadarko, the first tribe to sign a treaty with US is definitely eastern woodlands. And the Tonkawas hail from the TX gulf coast area.
I remember my cousin coaching me on the distinctive dress which enabled one to tell which tribe each person was from at the pow wows.

As far as accents go, I went to Haskell Indian Jr. College where there were tribes from all directions of the US, and the accents were much easier to compare and contrast.
I remember one boy from TX who had a pure TX accent, another kid from NC who we called cornbread, his accent was THICK southern, and of course, the OK accents were pretty much determined by how far from town they were raised.

And they all used to say I had an accent.
Eddie Gein was a serial killer in Wisconsin in the 1950's. He was the model for the movies "Psycho", "Silence of the Lambs" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

I was once trying to get a handle to work on EZboard and I couldn't get anything to work. It just so happened that a documentary about infamous serial killers was on at the time. It was interesting (on that documentary) that he (
(Gein) was finally apprehended on Nov. 16, 1957. This was the day of Oklahoma's golden anniversary as well as the day that OU lost to Notre Dame to close out their 47 game winning streak. Since it was an OU board I was trying to register for I, in frustrations, typed in "Eddie Gein" and lo and behold EZboard took it.............
I joined this board shortly after that and used it to get on here. Since then I have decided not to use it anymore on new boards as a couple of people thought it was in bad taste.

I haven't looked into what it would take to change handles on here but nobody on Citydata has seemed upset about it.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Eddie Gein was a serial killer in Wisconsin in the 1950's. He was the model for the movies "Psycho", "Silence of the Lambs" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

I joined this board shortly after that and used it to get on here. Since then I have decided not to use it anymore on new boards as a couple of people thought it was in bad taste.

I haven't looked into what it would take to change handles on here but nobody on Citydata has seemed upset about it.
Eddie Gein is an interesting character. I love to read about mass murderers. *I know I am weird. After all I work in prison with quite a few murderers, but sadly no mass murderers.
My orderly was serving two life sentences for Murder I, he was one smart fella who did something incredibly stupid when he was 18 yrs. old. I met him in his 60's. He was my computer guru.

So, keep that name Eddie Gein, and maybe it will help keep us all in line!!!

To stay on topic, OK is western/southern because they wear cowboy boots with no socks on. EWWW!!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:36 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
Redbird, have you ever read "An Innocent Man" by John Grisham? It's a great read and all of the stuff happened in Ada.

I have some interesting anecdotes about that whole book and will share them with y'all if you like.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,189,124 times
I love discussions as to exactly where Oklahoma is. It's resembles all those regions. But, to put it simply...Oklahoma!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,628,393 times
Yes, Synopsis, tell us your anecdotes.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,948,345 times
I don't have time right now, but my brother lived in that garage apartment where Debra Carter was murdered, about a year before the murder took place. I worked at the local tv station (KTEN) during that time and lived only about three blocks from that apartment. I was young and a party goer, and all of those bars and nightclubs I frequented and I knew several of the people in the book. Gotta go for now!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 8,613 times
Oklahoma should be nicknamed the State of Diversity. We have about 60 different American Indian nations here with as many languages. Oklahoma was originally kind of a trading post among tribes. The Caddo and Wichita were sedentary farmers who traded food with Plains tribes for other goods. As such it was also a place of peace. Tribes that typically warred with each other didn't fight--or weren't supposed to--at a trading location. We also have the most diverse topography lacking only the tundra of Alaska, the tropics of Hawaii, and Pacific or Atlantic coastal regions. However, we're close enough to the Gulf of Mexico to make up for the lack of beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma