Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It seems to me if it was pure coincidence tornadoes would not strike in the same places. AFAIK Tornadoes do not spawn on concrete. Having said this, cornfields are extremely hot and humid, and the tornados do form in cornfields.
What about all the corn free areas where tornados spawn? What accounts for that??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What about all the corn free areas where tornados spawn? What accounts for that??
The Devil.

Well, him and government controlled extreme radio frequencies.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM

9 posts, read 67,722 times
Default House insurance

Well, if we move down there... home insurance will be a big shock. On a 200K house up here it is only 395 dollars....a year not a quarter. So, we shall see.

When the time comes i wonder if OK is stupid enough to legislate California emissions regulations on vehicles. Like NYS has even though that state does not have an air quality problem?

So, need to sell our house first. It looks like muslim obo will contiune to screw up the economy and damage housing sales, at least in our area.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:18 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amccom View Post
Well, if we move down there... home insurance will be a big shock. On a 200K house up here it is only 395 dollars....a year not a quarter. So, we shall see.

When the time comes i wonder if OK is stupid enough to legislate California emissions regulations on vehicles. Like NYS has even though that state does not have an air quality problem?

So, need to sell our house first. It looks like muslim obo will contiune to screw up the economy and damage housing sales, at least in our area.
I just recently shopped around and the best price I could find on my $125,000 home in Mid Town Tulsa, that has a fire hydrant only 77 feet from my front door, was just shy of $1,500.00. There is a lot more than just tornados here in Oklahoma. One of the biggest perils is hail damage we have a lot of that in Oklahoma. And then we have flooding and wildfires, not at the same time. We have incredible ice storms that have knocked out power for over 2 weeks, my folks are putting in a generator that will run off their gas well so they will never have to go through that again.

I am guessing after just one of our summer, tornados will be the least of your worries. We start hitting the 90s by late May and early June, and that time of year it is very humid. By July and August it really starts heating up. Most days are mid to upper 90s and often have many days in the 100 to 105 degree range and just a few over 110. At the hight of summer it is not uncommon to see temps in high 80s at midnight. You will learn that AC is your friend.

And I hope you like snakes? We have a lots of them compared to NY, I find them in my house from time to time. I live near a creek and have a basement so they seem attracted to my place, but I have no mice...

[/url]
I found this guy heading towards my house. I scooped him up with a shovel and sent him back to the creek.

If you decide to live in the country the coyotes will love your small pets.

And chiggers will make you respect Deep Woods Off.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:04 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Quote:

I don't think you have to worry about that. Oklahoma doesn't even have vehicle inspections. At one time they did have them, but did away with them sometime before I moved here in 2006.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:40 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I don't think you have to worry about that. Oklahoma doesn't even have vehicle inspections. At one time they did have them, but did away with them sometime before I moved here in 2006.
Yeah, I always had to get them before I moved away last time. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were no longer required when I moved back last Thanksgiving.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 67,722 times
Default okie1962 -- reply

Great honest comments on your area. Living over 60 yrs in NYS, except for a museum, you would have to spend a lot of time looking for poison snakes. We living in a suburb and never had a snake in the house. Except for in the NYS State House of Representatives.

So, it looks like if this move does take place.... what one saves in taxes... you shell out in insurance, .410 gauge snake rounds and buying new roofs. Also, if temps are 110+ I bet electric bills must be high. Thanks all for your comments. The travel brochures seems to leave out some of your comments. Ho Ho Ho.
VR
Amccom

Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Great honest comments on your area. Living over 60 yrs in NYS, except for a museum, you would have to spend a lot of time looking for poison snakes. We living in a suburb and never had a snake in the house. Except for in the NYS State House of Representatives.

So, it looks like if this move does take place.... what one saves in taxes... you shell out in insurance, .410 gauge snake rounds and buying new roofs. Also, if temps are 110+ I bet electric bills must be high. Thanks all for your comments. The travel brochures seems to leave out some of your comments. Ho Ho Ho.
VR
Amccom
I have been working the last few summers in upstate NY, PA and WV and what you guys call a wicked hot day would be a blessing down here. I was working on a 8" feeder line up around Oneonta, NY and it got up in the low 90s and folks up there dropping like flies were being taken to the hospital! No joke! It was all the news could talk about. July and August would be hard pressed to see any days where the temps were that low for day time highs, but that being said this summer was very mild for us and we had days in 80s, but that is not very common at all.

The hottest day I have ever seen here was 115 in El Reno, Ok. That was not the bank temp, it was from the national weather service. It was way too much for me.

As far as snakes go, if you got a cat you only have to worry about it bringing small ones into the house. Cats loving bring them in. The biggest snake that ever came into the house (mom and dad's house) was about 3 feet long and was a fat sucker! It had got under my dishwasher and when mom turned it one it shot out and then had no where to go so after a ton of hollering and screening from my mom it went back under the dishwasher. When dad go home he and I pulled the dishwasher out and found a small gap where the plumbing when out, so we plugged it. I was surprised how such a big snake could go through a hole about as wide as a golfball.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It seems to me if it was pure coincidence tornadoes would not strike in the same places. AFAIK Tornadoes do not spawn on concrete. Having said this, cornfields are extremely hot and humid, and the tornados do form in cornfields.
Tornadoes form in the clouds; they have nothing to do with cornfields or concrete, they have to do with atmospheric conditions.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:03 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
By July and August it really starts heating up.
I heard one time that it got so hot, the corn started popping in the fields........filled the fields with popcorn, the cows thought it was snow and froze to death...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma