Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:31 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,976 times

Advertisements

eddie,

i find that comforting too. but maybe it is because of the lack of jobs, which is not so comforting to people trying to live here. but it is still beautiful here, and you can drive the freeways without much congestion. i remember moving to Arizona back in 1987, and the northern roads were wonderful, but the cities in the south were so congested that i hated them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 56,467 times
I have lived in Oklahoma all of my 30 yrs of life and I have to say that although there are some problems Oklahoma is a great place to live! Tulsa is a great city with more culture than OKC, but the crime is higher. With that said, OKC has made great strides in the past 10 years to bring more art and sporting venues to the city. The crime is probably in the moderate range near downtown OKC (with the exception on Bricktown and other renovatied commercial areas) and is getting heavier in the southern areas due to a growing gang problem, but the northern part of the city is pretty darn safe.
Edmond is a wonderful community that feels somewhat like a bubble. Not a lot happens here in the way of crime. The schools are among the best in the state. Property taxes are on the high side, but when you consider that Oklahoma has about the lowest cost of living that I can think of, it all balances out. I don't know about Tuson, but in Edmond, which is very pretty, suburban city, you can buy a modest but nice newer 4 bed 2 bath home for around $170,000 or and smaller older 2-3 bed home for $130,000 or less!!
If you are looking for a little more land close to the city, Piedmont which is west of Edmond about 10 miles or so is also a great choice. There is a lot of new building in that area, but it is no danger of becoming over populated anytime soon.
A lot of people have lived in Oklahoma all of there lives and choose to stay and raise their family here, and their families choose to stay....because it really is a great state to live in regardless of its lack of mountian views or ocean front property.
The winters are usaually mild, although that hasn't been the case this winter, the springs are beautiful but don't last long enough, the summers can get HOT and humid, but there are plenty of lakes around to keep you cool and the falls are beautiful but seemingly too short as well.
Good luck to all of you planning your moves!!!
Aggie

Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 PM

77 posts, read 524,237 times
Many former business buidings and highrises are being converted to aparments/condos the city is on a huge rise in culture/entertainment out the roof/nice people/decent traffic on and on. Districts-Midtown /Little Saigon/Downtown.brktown.deepdeuce/Flat Iron/Capitol hill/N.Okc/Edmond and many others. In Little Saigon there is a lot to see/culture/arts/university area. I would check out 'The Classen' there is a website for it(GOOGLE IT) it is extremely fat. It is a 20 story highrise condo. has food service 24hrs, a community monster look out/balcony on top for drinks skyline/condos have a great range of design and price/beautuful interior(obviously its all new)...This building is next to a former bank that is quite stunning-its a geodesic dome or whatever..its cool. Other great places to live are the Paseo arts district-great scene- all old stucco buildings/bars hippies/free thinkers/artists- brown townhouses can be found with pools-this is all near Little Saigon(asian district). Stay around all the districts within inner okc/capitol/downtown and culture/entertaiment/character is just a step away. Edmond is a short drive mid/high living suburb-a city of its own(it really is okc just like all the inner cities and metro because they are all spread out)-N.OkC has a huge area to work with also-but is less pleasing visually speaking. S.okc has been seeing a lot of growth and i have been told it has become a lot nicer. okc has a large amount of space/land/ so it is hard to tell you exactly where you would want to be- with a job in mind. good luck. google oklahoma city districts/oklahoma city website/Okc bricktown and so on. i dont know all the exact websites but they are easy to find.

More culture in OKC now than tulsa-also much lower crime-cleaner air/tulsa metro gets very muggy-similar to houston. just to big of a city for tulsa to keep up with. Just Old headlines about all that culture in ttown. They lost it 10 years ago. CULTURE does not mean two museums!! (really has only one good one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma