Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,031 times

Advertisements

My husband has an opportunity to relocate here from Wisconsin. Pay would be the same and I could find something equivalent to what I am making. What is this area like as far as yearround weather, jobs, housing prices, taxes, etc. Wisconsin taxes are ridiculous. He is a semi driver so weather is important. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 06:57 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Elk City is an oil and gas boom and bust town. It is currently in a boom. It is about 14K but it is the hub of a service area quite a bit larger. It feels like about 20-25 K.

The weather: Almost always breezy to moderately windy. Extremely Hot and dry in the summer. Winters can be cold but not always. Will be mild compared to Wisconsin. Lot's of stormy weather in spring and summer. Snows three or four times a winter but does not stay around long.

Very wide open country with little greenery. Not desert but very plainesy. Will seem extremely barren compared to Wisconsin.

Real Estate prices are artificially inflated in Elk City but you can get something for 100-200 K that is 1500-2000 square feet. The nicer areas are the northwest parts of town. There are other towns around Elk City within 30 miles that have lower prices. I live in Clinton which is 25 minutes east of Elk City and prices are lower here. Others live in Canute, Sayre and the surrounding towns.

Elk City schools are pretty good and they have a real new high school. There is another district on the southwest edge of town called Merritt that some people prefer.

The local hospital is brand new.

Elk City has the standard services and restaurants you would expect in a small town but no higher end places. It has a brand new Superwalmart and a small downtown with gift shops and the main drag has typical box stores.

Tax wise, Oklahoma income tax is 6%, and they do tax groceries and most items. Elk City is about 8 cents on the dollar. Property Tax in Oklahoma is not
too bad.

Jobs are plentiful right now in Elk City because about everybody around is out in the oil field right now. Thus, Walmart is begging for people.

People are nice in Elk City and although it's not a real fancy place but it's not run down.

I am fairly well connected into Elk City. Feel free to direct message if you would like.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 15,637 times
My husband just got a job in the oil field and we and our four kids need to find a place in the next two weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, info on schools? Two in elementary one in jr High and a preschooler. Any jobs for EMT's or brain injury clinics?

Old 07-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Mike Stout at American Realty is a good source although housing is almost impossible to find around there. To find anything reasonable you might have to look further east at Clinton or maybe Cordell but that is a further distance from the rigs.

Merritt School and Elk are both considered good schools. There is also Sayre and Canute that are both pretty good.

Leedey is considered a good school about 30 miles north and Hammon school has a lot of money (about 10 miles north)

Further out is Erick-Sweetwater, Cheyenne-Reydon (closer to the rigs). I think they are ok but you are getting pretty far out there.

A lot of the drilling is going to be out by Wheeler, Tx so Wheeler and Shamrock Tx might be options for you if he is out in that HogShooter field.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thancock View Post
My husband just got a job in the oil field and we and our four kids need to find a place in the next two weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, info on schools? Two in elementary one in jr High and a preschooler. Any jobs for EMT's or brain injury clinics?
Oops, just read that your husband was working IN Elk City. If you can't find anything over there you might need to look at Burns Flat, Clinton or Cordell.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 15,637 times
thanks for the reply we are willing to have to commute if we have to. just not sure who to contact about renting. ive called pretty much every place in the yellow pages in sayre, clinton, hobart and elk city.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM

5 posts, read 35,684 times
I will be moving to Elk City, OK early November. I would be interested in any current information. Will be looking for the basic services, cable, internet, groceries, hair salon, etc. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 7,217 times
My family is considering relocating due to a business opportunity. It's somewhere between Elk City and Clinton. I have a 3 year old daughter so how she'll be raised is important. How are the school systems, things to do. How are the people? Also im a young single adult, is there stuff to do? Would appreciate any good/bad info about either town or which one is better. Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb0409 View Post
My family is considering relocating due to a business opportunity. It's somewhere between Elk City and Clinton. I have a 3 year old daughter so how she'll be raised is important. How are the school systems, things to do. How are the people? Also im a young single adult, is there stuff to do? Would appreciate any good/bad info about either town or which one is better. Please let me know. Thanks!
The two towns are 25 minutes apart. In between are the small towns of Foss, Canute and Burns Flat (about 7 miles south of the highway).

Elk City is considered the "better" town but I prefer Clinton because it's a little smaller, more laid back, cheaper and closer to Oklahoma City.

Burns Flat is an old military town and doesn't have much there but housing is cheaper there because of all the old military housing.

Schools aren't bad. Not great. Burns Flat and Canute are a lot smaller than Clinton and Elk City.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
These are old posts but I would like to talk to someone who has relocated to Elk City, OK. We are looking to do the same. I am in Texas but originally from Oklahoma City. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma