Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 398,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
Does being 40 make me a senior?

As for the community college idea I did check the OCCC website. I didn't see any ASL classes being offered that didn't require getting a degree.

I'm going to keep checking the WIMGO site that I found.

Try this:
Community Outreach and Education

Rose State College (http://www.rose.edu/commfriend/ - broken link)

Continuing Education | Redlands Community College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,654 times
NO,40 doesn't make you a senior! I refuse to be a senior..lol. I suggest you find out who teaches the sign classes. They often have free classes in smaller settings, such as churches and community centers. Another suggestion is looking up cooking co-ops. I moved from the Moore-Norman area a few years ago, but we had a cooking co-op that got together once a month and cooked together. Several men were in the group, they enjoyed learning and having the benefit of homecooked meals in their freezer and we adored their perspective on things. It could also be a door to utilize the skills you mentioned. I admire you. I'm 42, single mom and decided to do some things similar to what you've mention. Life should be enjoyed and shared, we all have something to contribute to others. We just have to be brave enough to step outside of our box. Good luck and keep us updated and how things progress for you, It will be encouraging for others.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 AM

468 posts, read 1,546,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
I hear women like a man that can cook...... might help you out in the long run.

I already know how to cook. But, at this time, I'm only cooking for myself and my daughter.

So far there has only been one dish I made that she refused to eat. To be honest it was horrible.

I ate it, but I wasn't happy about it.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbers View Post
NO,40 doesn't make you a senior!

Thank you!!!

Nobody else responded to that so I thought "uh oh".

Also, thanks for the co-op idea. I'll look into it.

I'm not a gourmet cook by any means. I like to keep my dishes simple, but tasty.

If you have any simple recipes you'd like to share feel free to send them to me. I'll try them out.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:19 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,344,784 times
Quote:
Thank you!!!

Nobody else responded to that so I thought "uh oh".

Also, thanks for the co-op idea. I'll look into it.

I'm not a gourmet cook by any means. I like to keep my dishes simple, but tasty.

If you have any simple recipes you'd like to share feel free to send them to me. I'll try them out.
I wasn't gonna touch that age thing, but it's a state of mind rather than a number from a calendar. "Senior" is the point where you get some price breaks on some things. Otherwise, I know people who were old in their 20s, others who will never be old no matter what their age.

Cooking can be a lot of fun - and don't forget, CityData has a recipe forum, too. As for the mistakes, one thing I've discovered over the years is that what I consider inedible, my dogs think of as a great treat.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I wasn't gonna touch that age thing, but it's a state of mind rather than a number from a calendar. "Senior" is the point where you get some price breaks on some things. Otherwise, I know people who were old in their 20s, others who will never be old no matter what their age.

Cooking can be a lot of fun - and don't forget, CityData has a recipe forum, too. As for the mistakes, one thing I've discovered over the years is that what I consider inedible, my dogs think of as a great treat.

Wouldn't it just be easier if you, or Kimbers, came over and cooked? :-)

Thanks for the tip about the recipe section. I didn't even notice it before.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM

92 posts, read 113,497 times
Quote:
I'm a single man who just recently turned 40, and I thought it might be fun to learn something new.

Some ideas I had were: learning sign language, taking a cooking class, maybe join a book discussion group, maybe volunteer my home repair skills/automotive repair skills to a battered women's shelter, etc.

So, I did some online research. I couldn't find any place that offered a sign language class. They all want you to get a degree for it. No, thanks.

I couldn't find a cooking class.

I couldn't find a book discussion group.

And, I have no idea how to approach a women's shelter, to offer my skills, without looking like some kind of stalker.

I did find one website called "fun4singles". But, they want you to pay for the priviledge of hanging out with them. No, thanks.

I'm looking for something low key, no large crowds, and something that I can do when I have spare time.

Do we have something like that in Oklahoma?
meetup.com and craigslist has activities listed

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM

I already checked Craigslist. It didn't have anything that I was interested in. At least not at the time I checked it. And, it didn't look like it was updated all that often.

I've never heard of meetup.com. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 PM

689 posts, read 2,063,049 times
Try these two websites for cooking classes.
Chef Kurt Fleischfresser is the best!!

thetastingroomokc.com
4322 North Western

jamiesculinary.com
9313 North Pennsylvania Avenue (Britton and Penn, in Casady Square)

Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 AM

Thanks, Cindy.

I joined a few groups on meetup.com yesterday. Time will tell if I made a good decision or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma