Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:31 PM

12 posts, read 70,647 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband has a job offer in the Ponca area. Actually, we pulled it up on the net today and saw its in a town called Blackwell. We're in Tennessee and not familiar at all with Oaklahome. I was hoping someone could tell me what areas, or neighborhoods are the best from Ponca to Blackwell. We're a christian, homeschooling family. I'm also a stay at home homemaker. I am looking for a safe neighborhood. I also am interested in a good dance studio, and sports. ANY info at all will be MOST helpful! Thanks, and Blessings, Danyelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
You believe in dancing?

Actually Ponca is a nice little town but still has a few national brand stores. My friend was from the little town of Medford. It's very small but pleasant.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:45 PM

Hi, yes we do believe in dancing. Did you ask because I'm christian? I know some do not believe in dancing. We see it as an art, and as a sport. My daughter is only 5yrs old. She has danced now for 2yrs. We did compitition for one year. I did see alot of racey costumes, and inappropriate lyrics. Our dance studio here is very conservative when it comes to that. My baby loves to dance and loves the stage. I love that she is not shy or bothered by a crowd. Blessings, Danyelle

Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Beware of an earlier post that descibed Blackwell as a dirty, run down town with social workers busy over teenagers having moral problems, such as teen pregnacy.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 32,911 times
Hi, we lived in Ponca City for a year and there are a lot of people that homeschool there. Also, there is a woman Suzi Lenhart that has music classes and my daughter LOVED her. I lost her contact information but a lot of people know about her. If I find her contact info I'll give it to you. She also has some homeschooled students in her class.

It is a small town and we found ourselves going to Wichita or Tulsa to do some shopping.

The area around the Marlan Mansion is nice and very quiet. At that time we found the Southwestern part of Ponca not the nicest area. I'll try to get more infor for you including a realtor that lived across the street from us.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 PM

WOW Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. How far is Tulsa or Wichita? Thanks, Danyelle

Old 06-24-2007, 04:29 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I grew up in Ponca City and was shocked when I left there and found out that every town didn't have what the oil millionaires left in Ponca City years ago.

Ponca is about 70 miles to Wichita and Tulsa and about 95 to OKC. All are easy to get to and that is another nice thing about the town.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 22,874 times
Blackwell is 10-15 minutes away from Ponca, as is Tonkawa. Tonkawa has a junior college and some industry, but not much else. 45 kids in this year's graduating class. Those three towns, plus county-seat Newkirk basically make up Kay County, located on the state line, split by I-35, so access to Wichita to Dallas is very convenient.

Blackwell is a fair-sized town; they're rebuilding the roads downtown, many churches, a 4A school. In Oklahoma they class schools like this: in a particular activity (not much difference between activities) they rank schools by average daily attendence in grades 9-12. The top 16 are classified 6A. The next 16 are 5A. The next 32 are 4A. Next 32=3A, etc, down to Class A. The procedure after that depends on the activity. Ponca is 5A, I believe.

Some close family friends homeschool, and there is a thriving homeschool network in the area. There is a great dance and gymnastics school in Ponca, right across the street from the Ponca Playhouse. Many musicals feature students from across the street.

If the job is in Blackwell, I would look closely at moving there. I, being a farm kid, prefer the smaller community, but Ponca is still nearby, in case you need a 24-hr Wal-Mart, extensive shopping, a hospital (you may be taking your chances, however) or culture.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 17,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniDodd30 View Post
Hi all, my husband has a job offer in the Ponca area. Actually, we pulled it up on the net today and saw its in a town called Blackwell. We're in Tennessee and not familiar at all with Oaklahome. I was hoping someone could tell me what areas, or neighborhoods are the best from Ponca to Blackwell. We're a christian, homeschooling family. I'm also a stay at home homemaker. I am looking for a safe neighborhood. I also am interested in a good dance studio, and sports. ANY info at all will be MOST helpful! Thanks, and Blessings, Danyelle
Blackwell is a great LITTLE town but if you can find a place in ponca city which is the main hub around here the schools are really good there is a street called pecan that there is some really great neighborhoods I think the neighborhood that we love is called wellington something! what i had to do to move here is go to the YMCA which is on GRand street!!! They to have AWESOME schools like the christian acadamy and the school TROUT elementary and Woodlands school district If you have questions ask any one they are great

Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 17,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peladac View Post
Hi, we lived in Ponca City for a year and there are a lot of people that homeschool there. Also, there is a woman Suzi Lenhart that has music classes and my daughter LOVED her. I lost her contact information but a lot of people know about her. If I find her contact info I'll give it to you. She also has some homeschooled students in her class.

It is a small town and we found ourselves going to Wichita or Tulsa to do some shopping.

The area around the Marlan Mansion is nice and very quiet. At that time we found the Southwestern part of Ponca not the nicest area. I'll try to get more infor for you including a realtor that lived across the street from us.

Good luck!
The marlan Mansion neighborhood is were we live the cars go way to fast and we cant get the cops to slow them down it is so bad in this neighborhood that the mail man won't even get out of his truck he pulls in our drive to get out or turn around it is scary at times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma