Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 07:05 PM

395 posts, read 286,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie87 View Post
There’s no way this building is getting built. As cool as it sounds I don’t know I’d want it to anyway. The Devon tower already looks a bit out of place amongst the other buildings. I’d love for them to build the three 345ft towers they have planned and then maybe 2 or 3 skyscrapers at around 500-800 feet a piece. That would drastically change our skyline; making it look more dense and look amazing.
I think that this building of scaled down in height might be 900-1,000 feet tall, which would still surpass the height of the Devon Energy Center and they are certainly working on being taller than the Devon Tower. There would still likely be the observation deck, restaurant, and bar on the top floor as the Devon Energy Center has a restaurant on it's top two floors. When the Devon Energy Center was under construction in 2009-2012, everyone was asking the developers if that building would have an observation deck on the top floor. The developers said something actually bigger than that as a restaurant. Therefore, I would not be surprised if an observation deck and restaurant are still included in the final plans for this building even if scaled down, but still of significant height. A lot of people would likely be asking the same question, especially if it is still the tallest in Oklahoma at a scaled down height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 10:57 AM

4,367 posts, read 4,590,034 times
I just saw this discussed in The New York Post. When the article named OKC as the city that might get the new tallest building in the nation, to be honest, I was like YAY! Maybe coastal residents won’t be so quick to label the middle of the nation as “fly-over country”. Maybe Chicago and NYC won’t be the only two cities competing for “tallest” title. I’m excited at the idea. Let’s go, Oklahoma!

Old 01-24-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I just saw this discussed in The New York Post. When the article named OKC as the city that might get the new tallest building in the nation, to be honest, I was like YAY! Maybe coastal residents won’t be so quick to label the middle of the nation as “fly-over country”. Maybe Chicago and NYC won’t be the only two cities competing for “tallest” title. I’m excited at the idea. Let’s go, Oklahoma!
A lot of people were skeptical in the late 1990's/early 2000's that Dubai was going to do what it ended up doing, which included building the tallest building in the world and being a top tier international city along the lines of New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, or Istanbul. Furthermore, the fact an observation deck open to the public is planned for the top floor of this building shows you just how much of a landmark this tower is intended to be. It would easily become Oklahoma City's most popular tourist attraction, considering how popular all five of New York City's skyscraper observation decks are. Those are at the Empire State Building, 30 Rockefeller Plaza, One World Trade Center, 30 Hudson Yards, and One Vanderbilt. More skyscraper observation decks in New York City are planned for 740 8th Avenue, the Tower Fifth, and the Affirmation Tower that are either under construction or proposed. Many people were asking the developers of the Devon Energy Center if it would have an observation deck on the top floor when it was under construction. While this did not quite happen, there is a restaurant where the public can have a meal or drink at on the 49th floor of that building. Therefore, the possibility is strong that this skyscraper will be built at it's intended height and that the observation deck will become a very popular attraction. Also, this might compell developers to build a true Megatall skyscraper in New York City and Chicago.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:11 PM

684 posts, read 285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
A design revision calls for this building to be the tallest in the United States. It will be a mixed use residential and hotel skyscraper. Restaurants and an observation deck open to the public are planned for the top six floors.
https://archinect.com/news/article/1...esign-revision
This is bizarre. Can't quite figure out what the developer's game is. But the chances of this getting built are on about the same level as Tulsa hosting the Olympics.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:15 PM

17 posts, read 5,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
This is so stupid. It tells me the whole project is a scam, not just this fourth tower.
Ha, what if construction on that new $5.5 billion refinery actually gets under way in Cushing this year as planned or construction also starts on that $2 billion American Heartland near Vinita? If both happen, that new mega Legacy Tower won't look so far fetched. Only believe. Oklahoma needs out of state developers to make the state see big.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:32 PM

24,814 posts, read 11,217,157 times
It is so ugly it takes an architect to love it. I will worry about it when it is here.

Old 01-25-2024, 09:07 AM

684 posts, read 285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylake8 View Post
Ha, what if construction on that new $5.5 billion refinery actually gets under way in Cushing this year as planned or construction also starts on that $2 billion American Heartland near Vinita? If both happen, that new mega Legacy Tower won't look so far fetched. Only believe. Oklahoma needs out of state developers to make the state see big.
What if?

How would one imagine that a new refinery 70 miles away, or a theme park 170 miles away would lead to a nation’s-tallest building with a market-busting number of apartments?

Old 01-26-2024, 07:25 AM

30,327 posts, read 11,955,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadylake8 View Post
Its one thing to believe, but one needs to pull back the curtains and see what might actually be going on here.

As someone who would benefit if the Cushing refinery was built I am highly skeptical of all of this. They have raised bond money for feasiblity studies, etc. in Cushing. That can run into the millions and be a good windfall for those who get that money even if the actual project never happens.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:11 AM

14,415 posts, read 11,852,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc1664 View Post
Furthermore, the fact an observation deck open to the public is planned for the top floor of this building shows you just how much of a landmark this tower is intended to be. It would easily become Oklahoma City's most popular tourist attraction, considering how popular all five of New York City's skyscraper observation decks are.
With all due respect, what would people be coming to observe?

Old 01-26-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
With all due respect, what would people be coming to observe?
The Devon Energy Center has a popular restaurant on it's top two floors in part due to the views this tower brings. When the Devon Tower was under construction, a lot of people were asking the developer if they were going to include an observation deck on top. The developers wanted more than that, so they included a restaurant that the public could dine at. So, an observation deck on the top floors of this building would make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City