Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 AM

31 posts, read 68,607 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the additional feedback, it is greatly appreciated. To answer a few additional questions:

1. School district isn't a factor right now, but could be in the future. We are trying, but have had difficulties.

2. The Dallas job is located near North Lake and the DFW airport. So it's not downtown Dallas by any means, and looking at maps seems logical to think that areas like Las Colinas, Grapevine, Carrollton, Lewisville, etc. may be some alternate locations.

3. City living isn't a requirement. Like most, we would like to have nearby access to big events and good eats, but would be okay driving 30 minutes or so to reach those destinations. Ideally, our future home would be around 2,200 to 2,500 square feet, wooded lot, 1+ acres and would love a water feature of some sort (pond, lake view or pool). Personally I'd love it if I could be somewhere that I could build a dirt berm and shoot my guns, maybe have a secondary shop for the lawn equipment and toys (boat, camper, hot rods, etc).

4. Both jobs have great salaries and opportunities, but slightly different. One is a multi billion dollar company with several divisions. The work itself would be more challenging and unique, which I like. I would have a lead position, but because of the size of the company I would be one of several leads and have more competition to continue my rise up the ladder. The other company does about $300 million and also has multiple divisions. While the work would be less unique and high-profile, I would be the lead of a particular division and consequently be more of a major component of the company. Also, one company is employee owned, while the other is not. Granted, it's a small slice overall, but it feels good knowing you are a partial owner of sorts.

5. My wife is in the medical field, and has excellent opportunities at either city. Personally I think Dallas might offer an advantage, but she is very happy in Tulsa as-is and seems to think either location will be a good fit for her. Of course, fashion and shopping matters to her, but she's more of a country girl at heart and wants a place we grow veggies in the garden, and maybe have a few livestock animals to butcher and eat more natural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 07:05 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Discharging firearms within city limits - do your research with every one of the municipalities the DFW area consists of. There are a few indoor ranges around. SO was shooting in Cleburn.
Life stock - again check municipality ordinances and HOA covenants.
There is quite a bit of difference between pond, lake view and a pool)))

Depending on your office location in OKC there might be better option then Edmond.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
Thanks for the additional feedback, it is greatly appreciated. To answer a few additional questions:

1. School district isn't a factor right now, but could be in the future. We are trying, but have had difficulties.

2. The Dallas job is located near North Lake and the DFW airport. So it's not downtown Dallas by any means, and looking at maps seems logical to think that areas like Las Colinas, Grapevine, Carrollton, Lewisville, etc. may be some alternate locations.

3. City living isn't a requirement. Like most, we would like to have nearby access to big events and good eats, but would be okay driving 30 minutes or so to reach those destinations. Ideally, our future home would be around 2,200 to 2,500 square feet, wooded lot, 1+ acres and would love a water feature of some sort (pond, lake view or pool). Personally I'd love it if I could be somewhere that I could build a dirt berm and shoot my guns, maybe have a secondary shop for the lawn equipment and toys (boat, camper, hot rods, etc).

4. Both jobs have great salaries and opportunities, but slightly different. One is a multi billion dollar company with several divisions. The work itself would be more challenging and unique, which I like. I would have a lead position, but because of the size of the company I would be one of several leads and have more competition to continue my rise up the ladder. The other company does about $300 million and also has multiple divisions. While the work would be less unique and high-profile, I would be the lead of a particular division and consequently be more of a major component of the company. Also, one company is employee owned, while the other is not. Granted, it's a small slice overall, but it feels good knowing you are a partial owner of sorts.

5. My wife is in the medical field, and has excellent opportunities at either city. Personally I think Dallas might offer an advantage, but she is very happy in Tulsa as-is and seems to think either location will be a good fit for her. Of course, fashion and shopping matters to her, but she's more of a country girl at heart and wants a place we grow veggies in the garden, and maybe have a few livestock animals to butcher and eat more natural.
From what you've posted here, In my opinion you should probably lean towards OKC. If you want to have acreage, a garden, livestock, etc, that's easily attainable even within the city limits of OKC. In DFW, you might be looking at quite a commute and you might have to pay quite a bit more for it.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:09 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,212 times
I haven't lived in Dallas, but I do know how bad the traffic is. Plano is a better suburb than Edmond in my opinion. Dallas just has so much more to offer. If you like to travel, its much easier to get affordable direct flights to places. I was spoiled with that when I lived in Atlanta, although I didn't travel then like I do now. I look for any excuse to get out of OKC for the weekend. Sports have already been mentioned, and for me thats a big deal. I think live music would be 1000 times better in Dallas. Cost of living is a big difference, but you mention an adjustment for that. Cost of living is much cheaper here in OKC for a reason. Bad weather, not much to do, etc. Just not a desirable city. I also found people in Dallas to be friendlier than OKC. In OKC if they haven't known you since childhood and you're a transplant, good luck making friends. It won't happen. Pick Dallas.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post

I think Dallas wins based on this. Where is the company that gives you an ownership opportunity? I assume the smaller one is likely in OKC. If that's important to you, then it makes it a tougher decision. Quality of life from the standpoint of easily making friends would likely be better in Dallas.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:21 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I also found people in Dallas to be friendlier than OKC. In OKC if they haven't known you since childhood and you're a transplant, good luck making friends. It won't happen. Pick Dallas.
This is true.

I think in OKC, people are a little more friendly as in they are a little more likely to initiate small talk and show Southern Hospitality, but it's also a very "cliquey" city, due to the fact it's not a place a lot of outsiders move to. While small talk may be easier, making actual friends is tougher in OKC. Dallas on the other hand is very transient.

I think the big advantage to OKC for the OP is being able to get a place with acreage to have a garden and livestock a bit easier and without as much of a commute. You'll have to live quite a ways out in the Metroplex to find that while in OKC, you can find it within minutes of downtown. If that is their make or break desire, then I would point them towards OKC. If not, then it's Dallas hands down.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is true.

I think in OKC, people are a little more friendly as in they are a little more likely to initiate small talk and show Southern Hospitality, but it's also a very "cliquey" city, due to the fact it's not a place a lot of outsiders move to. While small talk may be easier, making actual friends is tougher in OKC. Dallas on the other hand is very transient.
Yep, you totally get it.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:26 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is true.

I think the big advantage to OKC for the OP is being able to get a place with acreage to have a garden and livestock a bit easier and without as much of a commute. You'll have to live quite a ways out in the Metroplex to find that while in OKC, you can find it within minutes of downtown. If that is their make or break desire, then I would point them towards OKC. If not, then it's Dallas hands down.
Contrary to your "fact" that "it's not a place a lot of outsiders move to", 43% of OKC's 631,000 residents are transplants from outside of Oklahoma (to compare, 46% of Dallas' 1.3 million residents are transplants from outside of Texas). I find making friends in OKC not tough at all, perhaps it's not them.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:00 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Outsiders

DFW - there are lots of them. A lot of them are a member of the 'Rolex throwing competition'. We actually had it happen at the kitchen counter and then they compared serial numbers.

European import, never a problem with locals, I cannot remember whenI was asked about going to church in the last 30 years, have not yet found a hunting club or a neighborhood dirt range. It shall be found)) SO has a playground!

When you walk around like a porcupine in heat you will not find a lot of positive feed back. Bawa - there is a world out there. Go and explore it. There is beer in OKC, good beer!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 AM

127 posts, read 178,188 times
If your job here would be around DFW airport and you want an acre or so, you want to look at suburbs like Flower Mound, Argyle, Bartonville, Double Oak, Southlake, Keller, Grapevine-Colleyville, etc. Look at a map and you'll see these are in the same general area. Coppell is nice too (I lived there for 18 years) but very expensive and acreages are rare. All of the areas above have good to really good school districts. Coppell, Flower Mound (includes Bartonville and Double Oak, I think) and Southlake probably being the best.

However, you'd need a budget of 500K and up (mainly up) for those areas. I imagine you can do it much cheaper in OKC.

The Mid-Cities areas (on the west side of the airport) may be another option. I'm not as familiar with them for large lots. Plano would not be a good choice for a commute to DFW AP.

As far as crime goes, in any of the areas I mentioned it's not an issue at all. Frankly, most of DFWs suburbs are pretty safe with a few exceptions. Most of the serious crime is in the inner city areas of Dallas and Ft Worth where low-income and drugs are prevalent. Plus, I've never had any problem making real friends in the places I've lived here. And I'm a bit of an introvert.

Last edited by DWinTX; 10-31-2016 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City