Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
However I don't like Tulsa, I'd take OKC all day over that.
Good, don't have to worry about seeing you in my hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:25 AM

471 posts, read 825,295 times
Regarding "isolated incidents" of violence. It takes a significant number of them for a city to be rated as one of the most dangerous in the country:

The 25 U.S. cities and metros with the highest crime rates |

Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I was visiting my inlaws in OKC last weekend and it's going to be tough to convince me that OKC isn't semi arid. Virtually all grass is brown. Many trees are so dry the leaves are crispy on the ends. Also, there are wildfires all over the place. OKC is pretty green in the spring and early summer. Late summer and fall vary each year. The last two summers have ended very dry in Oklahoma. It's pretty simple, you get more rain as you go east and less as you go west. KC's natural setting is greener and has more trees than OKC. OKC looks barren in comparrison. Compare OKC to Amarillo, and OKC looks like a forrest. It's all about what you are used to. Oklahoma has some beautiful areas, I just don't find that OKC is really that pretty. Tulsa is a much prettier setting. However I don't like Tulsa, I'd take OKC all day over that.
According to the experts Oklahoma City has a "humid sub tropical" climate. I don't know what that means exactly but it doesn't seem to translate to semi arid.

That being said, where do you in laws live in Oklahoma City? This is significant because Oklahoma City sits where it sits because it was settled along an existing north south railroad line. The rail road line was sat where it sat because it was West of the "cast iron (crosstimbers) forest. Most of Oklahoma City sits in the prairie just west of the crosstimbers. However, the eastern suburbs of OKC sit in the forest as does the very northeast part of OKC.

Next time you go to OKC, take a drive over to the neighborhoods on say Coltrane and 122nd. Drive through them and tell me that they are "barren". They are vastly different than much of the rest of OKC. Much more like the parts of Tulsa you described.

However, I am not arguing that OKC is greener or prettier than KC. Just saying that it is not "semi arid".

Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM

498 posts, read 1,605,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
According to the experts Oklahoma City has a "humid sub tropical" climate. I don't know what that means exactly but it doesn't seem to translate to semi arid.

That being said, where do you in laws live in Oklahoma City? This is significant because Oklahoma City sits where it sits because it was settled along an existing north south railroad line. The rail road line was sat where it sat because it was West of the "cast iron (crosstimbers) forest. Most of Oklahoma City sits in the prairie just west of the crosstimbers. However, the eastern suburbs of OKC sit in the forest as does the very northeast part of OKC.

Next time you go to OKC, take a drive over to the neighborhoods on say Coltrane and 122nd. Drive through them and tell me that they are "barren". They are vastly different than much of the rest of OKC. Much more like the parts of Tulsa you described.

However, I am not arguing that OKC is greener or prettier than KC. Just saying that it is not "semi arid".
I will also add that the north-to-south transition zone from prairie to forest was created by weather patterns from the Rocky Mountain rain shadow, Not a well-known fact. The Rocky Mountain rain shadow is clearly visible from space and stretches from west Texas north to Alberta. Oklahoma City is the only city that sits right on the edge. You can see it best on Bing maps in Aerial view.

Last edited by okcpulse; 09-08-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
Regarding "isolated incidents" of violence. It takes a significant number of them for a city to be rated as one of the most dangerous in the country:

The 25 U.S. cities and metros with the highest crime rates |
I don't feel any less safe in KC than OKC. But I'm not a member of a gang, don't sell drugs, don't do drive bys, and don't fear retaliation violence.

Basically, if you avoid that nonsense (which I will admit is a bigger problem in KC) then you will be fine. Most of the crime in KC occurs in pockets of areas that most people don't interact with and even those that do will generally be okay unless they partake in sketchy activity.

The suburbs around KC are very safe and the central urban corridor of KC where most of the entertainment districts, museums, condo communities etc reside are also very safe (for an urban area).

Check out this video. Just more going on in KC.

Get Introduced to a Whole New Kansas City! - YouTube

Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
When I was staying in KC it was unnerving having people come up to the car knocking on windows asking for money. It happens a lot in downtown all the way to the Plaza. For 7 years I had to spend one week each month in KC.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
For me, OK in general holds more of a cultural beacon. I love being around my Native People. Hard to explain, but it feels good to be around NDN people. Although there are quite a few "skins" in northeast KS, I call Oklahoma home because it is where my people are from.

And I'll take college football over NFL any day.[/quote]

^^^

Every bit of this was posted by a true Okie!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Quote:
For me, OK in general holds more of a cultural beacon. I love being around my Native People. Hard to explain, but it feels good to be around NDN people. Although there are quite a few "skins" in northeast KS, I call Oklahoma home because it is where my people are from.

And I'll take college football over NFL any day.
^^^

Every bit of this was posted by a true Okie!
I hate to disagree with such a distinguished person, but you do know that Redbird is NOT an OU fan? (He likes Kansas!)

Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Good, don't have to worry about seeing you in my hometown.
Oh lord, grow up. It's not a personal attack, it (tulsa) is just not my favorite city.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:28 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I do agree with what you are saying. I notice coming into OKC around the exits for Sooner Rd and Britton Rd as you look of to the east, you notice some nice topography and more trees. My inlaws live in Newcastle and it's definately a little more barren than eastern OKC.

I think one of the things that gives OKC a bad rap is that OKC is not very pretty city from the view of the interstates. That's all that some people see when they drive through the city. They formulate their opinions off of that. They may not ever exit and I 40 and I 35 don't paint complete pictures of OKC. I 44 isn't much better. 235 is probably the best, imo. The work being done I 40 through downtown will help, but it's still a work in progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City