Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 AM

5 posts, read 25,646 times

Advertisements

hello, every one in oklahoma!!! i have a few questions, i would like to know how diversed is it in oklahoma city? i and my family are thinking about moveing there from california. and i would like to also know, is it really racist out there? How is the public transportation, the weather, the food, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
You can start by reading some of the other threads as many of these and similar questions have been answered...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbprincess View Post
........... i would like to also know, is it really racist out there?
yeah.....the Kiowa and Comanche tend to gang up on the Apache; the Muscogee, Chickasaw Seminole, and Choctaw discriminate against the Cherokee (or is it the other way around?). Anyhow there is lots of racial strife..........
Quote:
How is the public transportation,
non-existent
Quote:
the weather,
changeable
Quote:
the food,
fried

Old 04-22-2011, 06:27 PM

51 posts, read 474,068 times
I've been here for a little over 2 months and I'm half black, and by my looks you can tell I'm obviously not from here, and I'd say it exists but not quite enough to worry about. Sure I would expect more trouble in the more rural areas but people here have been nothing but nice so far and I try to stay in more city-like areas... With that said, I've also noticed a lot of dirty looks (I'm sure you know the kinds of looks) here and there by some older folks when I'm out and about with a white girl on my arm. I'm sure they're just oldtimers living in the past but I have yet to receive any trouble from anybody.

...and for the record, a girl I used to hang with, her parents were racist. So it's definitely out there, some might hide it better than others.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:44 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
You should come check it out. There is some racism but this definately isn't the south. I don't know the numbers but OKC seems to have a decent mix of blacks and whites, imo.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:34 PM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times
Oklahoma City by the numbers are as follows...

African American... About 15 percent
Hispanic... About 10 percent
Asian... About 3 percent
White... About 62 percent
Native American... About 4 percent

Take those numbers for what it's worth. Racism was never a serious problem in Oklahoma City. The community was one of the first in the country to desegregate it's public school system, and the community has never been deeply divided by race or ethnic origin. That being said, racism is a human problem, not a geographic problem. No utopia exists in this realm. It is what it is.

As far as public transit goes... Oklahoma City has a well-designed freeway system that gets you anywhere in the metro in a short amount of time. Thus, the bus system isn't heavily utilized. There are 83 Metro transit buses, however the routes are inefficient and a car will get you downtown sooner than a bus. Keep in mind, city leaders are taking a serious look at long term sustainability, and that will include a new light rail system that will be constructed thanks to MAPS3, our latest public improvements packages passed by voters last year (MAPS stands for Metropolitan Area ProjectS). Mayor Cornett also wants the entire bus system overhauled. This is part of an eight year transportation master plan.

Good restaurants... Ted's Cafe Escondido, Cafe do Brasil, 1492 New World Latin Cuisine, Hideaway Pizza, Flips Wine Bar and Trattoria, Deep Fork Grill, The Mantel, Nonna's Euro-American Bistro, La Luna... Take your pick. Don't listen to those that tell you we offer nothing but deep fried barbecue grease. There are many wonderful restaurants here.

Oklahoma City is more of a city than we are ever given credit. Just come and see for yourself.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:58 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Oklahoma City by the numbers are as follows...

African American... About 15 percent
Hispanic... About 10 percent
Asian... About 3 percent
White... About 62 percent
Native American... About 4 percent

Take those numbers for what it's worth. Racism was never a serious problem in Oklahoma City. .
Then you're just ignorant about the history of OKC. Many, many other stories if you took the time to reseach it. Generally negros still keep to the northeast side of OKC. There are still metro OKC communities where they are not accepted.

Springlake Amusement Park Collection | Retro Metro OKC

Racial tension remained an issue for the park. News of a large riot that erupted in 1971 in the park between whites and blacks frightened away potential customers and hastened Springlake’s demise. A change of ownership, poor maintenance, and fire led to the park’s 1981 sale to the Oklahoma City Vo-Tech Board, which closed Springlake for good.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 PM

51 posts, read 474,068 times
There are metro communities where we're not accepted? Really?! Uhh could you share what areas then so I don't end up on the news...?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 PM

498 posts, read 1,605,672 times
Springlake was not a serious problem. It was bad, but not a serious problem.

Birmingham in 1964 was a serious problem. The Tulsa race riot in 1921 was a serious problem. LA in 1991. Was there mass hysteria in 1971 at a small amusement park that required citywide resources to quell a full-fledged rebellion? No. How about the sit in protests in OKC in 1955. Mass hysteria? No.
My dad and his brother were the only two white kids at Millwood School in the late 1970s. They never had a problem.

As fas as where certain races live, feel free to get on the New York Times website and treat yourself to color coded maps of every major US city. You will quickly realize OKC is not the only one where races are clustered together. And you say I am ignorant?

Besides, today, in 2011, not 1971, most people of all races don't have problems living in OKC. And where exactly are these metro communities where different races are not accepted. Please do share. Since I have friends and family scattered all over the metro, I'll ask them if they concur with you.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
FWIW, I lived in Edmond for almost four years (2006 - 2010) and my neighborhood there was much more racially diverse than the similar suburban neighborhood I now live in in Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City