Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 PM

51 posts, read 474,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Speaking of IGNORANT, I haven't heard blacks being referred to as "negros" since the '60's...
Haha, ok someone else found that odd too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Michael Scott, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
That's not racism... that's being afraid of poor people
Hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbprincess View Post
weather, the food, etc.
Fried food and tornadic weather

Old 04-25-2011, 04:42 PM

180 posts, read 668,198 times
If you are African American and planning on moving to OKC, try to avoid NE OKC. Sure its black, but parts of it are HOOD as hell. All major business close around 6-8pm while their other locations may stay open late into the night in other areas, no 7-11s (you get Tom's market, the official stop-n-rob of OKC) and forget about getting a pizza delivered.

Most affluent black folks like myself prefer to live in the multi cultural communities here as OKC doesn't really have any affluent black communities like in Atlanta or Houston (the closest we come is Forest Park).
I guarantee NONE of the OKC Thunder players chose to have their million dollar mansions built in NE OKC.

Last edited by BlackMM; 04-25-2011 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 PM

498 posts, read 1,605,785 times
Yupp... as a matter of fact most of the Thunder players live in NW OKC near Edmond or in Edmond.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM

211 posts, read 370,055 times
I myself just moved to okc about 9 months ago. And I can honestly say it is much more diversified here than I ever thought. More diversified than my hometown in michigan. Ne okc is supposed to be where most African americans live but I have noticed they live all over the city.
The food is pretty good haven't found a good gyro yet any suggestions?
The weather changes violently 80 one day 40 the next haven't experienced any tornadoes yet.
Public transportation is terrible to nonexistent.
And I haven't experienced any racism or funny looks cause my girlfriend is hispanic.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 474,117 times
Not much of a gyro aficionado but I had some decent ones at this place in Midwest City (I guess) off 29th called Matin's Akropolis or something like that. The owner is super nice though, great guy to talk to while you wait.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrule View Post
I myself just moved to okc about 9 months ago. And I can honestly say it is much more diversified here than I ever thought. More diversified than my hometown in michigan. Ne okc is supposed to be where most African americans live but I have noticed they live all over the city.
The food is pretty good haven't found a good gyro yet any suggestions?
The weather changes violently 80 one day 40 the next haven't experienced any tornadoes yet.
Public transportation is terrible to nonexistent.
And I haven't experienced any racism or funny looks cause my girlfriend is hispanic.
Guess you'll have to come to Tulsa for the gyro.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:24 AM

211 posts, read 370,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS View Post
Not much of a gyro aficionado but I had some decent ones at this place in Midwest City (I guess) off 29th called Matin's Akropolis or something like that. The owner is super nice though, great guy to talk to while you wait.
I will have to try that place out.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
Speaking of IGNORANT, I haven't heard blacks being referred to as "negros" since the '60's...
Didn't the US Census Form use the word negro? And that was sent to everyone in the United States. I still see the word used from time to time.

I am half black/half german, but my skin color is darker. I was raised in a very diverse area and the move to Oklahoma was interesting. The University of Oklahoma did their very best to "integrate" more over recent years with an abundant study abroad students from asia and the middle east. I don't see a whole lot of urban african american students at OU but it seems sufficient.

That being said, if you are black and moving to OKC, you probably wont encounter too much racism. What I do notice is that there is very little interracial couples. People here are very kind but I can't imagine dating somebody out of my "race" and their parent's being okay with it.

I am quite content in Oklahoma City and while it is a bit of a culture shock, I am really open to these sorts of things. I have lived in San Francisco, Germany, Oregon and now I am in Oklahoma.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Didn't the US Census Form use the word negro? And that was sent to everyone in the United States. I still see the word used from time to time.

I am half black/half german, but my skin color is darker. I was raised in a very diverse area and the move to Oklahoma was interesting. The University of Oklahoma did their very best to "integrate" more over recent years with an abundant study abroad students from asia and the middle east. I don't see a whole lot of urban african american students at OU but it seems sufficient.

That being said, if you are black and moving to OKC, you probably wont encounter too much racism. What I do notice is that there is very little interracial couples. People here are very kind but I can't imagine dating somebody out of my "race" and their parent's being okay with it.

I am quite content in Oklahoma City and while it is a bit of a culture shock, I am really open to these sorts of things. I have lived in San Francisco, Germany, Oregon and now I am in Oklahoma.

Wow, that's really interesting, because we have noticed way more interracial couples here in OKC than we ever saw living in Texas. In our kids high school, seeing kids of different races dating was no big deal. I see women out shopping all the time with what appear to be bi-racial children. I have a friend whose grandchildren are bi-racial. No on I know gives it a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City