Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 21,396 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are PCS'ing (permanent Change of Station) to Tinker. We are looking to buy a home once we get to Oklahoma which is going to be in two weeks. We want to stay close to Tinker AFB. So we WERE looking in the Midwest/ Del City area but after reading the forum Del City is definitely out. Midwest we are still weary about I have noticed some areas that are less crime ridden. We are leaving the Washington DC area so I don't think anything will really surprise us crime wise but I would like the input of people who are familiar to Oklahoma City. We did find one house that we are in LOVE with in the Northern most block of Midwest City. We are also looking in the Moore area also. I have ruled out West and Northwest of OK City because its just to far from the base. I look forward to hearing everyones opinion and also to be moving to Oklahoma City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 PM

34 posts, read 83,254 times
Welcome to Tinker! Do you have school age children or children that will be starting school while you are here? Then I would recommend Moore because their schools are better than Mid/Del (in general). I am not very familiar with MWC so I don't really have any advice there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. We just moved here ourselves. I lived here for 6 years in the 90s but the area has changed so much.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM

Its just my Husband and I so we are looking for a single family home. Thanks for your response!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,670,239 times
If you are looking for the best place with good proximity then I would look hard at Choctaw.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 PM

34 posts, read 83,254 times
You could try putting the address in this crime tracker and see what results you get. Crime Tracker - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,600 times
There are some nice areas east of the base in far east Midwest City, Oklahoma City and Choctaw. Don't reject a house just because it says Oklahoma City. Check out the address with a realtor. OKC actually wraps around the south end of the base and meets Midwest City at SE 29th street. We worked at Tinker for 30+ years and lived near 29th and Westminster for 18 years...wish we'd never left. Good Luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 9,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsgs View Post
My Husband and I are PCS'ing (permanent Change of Station) to Tinker. We are looking to buy a home once we get to Oklahoma which is going to be in two weeks. We want to stay close to Tinker AFB. So we WERE looking in the Midwest/ Del City area but after reading the forum Del City is definitely out. Midwest we are still weary about I have noticed some areas that are less crime ridden. We are leaving the Washington DC area so I don't think anything will really surprise us crime wise but I would like the input of people who are familiar to Oklahoma City. We did find one house that we are in LOVE with in the Northern most block of Midwest City. We are also looking in the Moore area also. I have ruled out West and Northwest of OK City because its just to far from the base. I look forward to hearing everyones opinion and also to be moving to Oklahoma City!
Moore is a very targeted area for Military as well as Edmond. The school districts are sought after. You will have a suburb feel in both of these areas. North OKC is also extremely sought after. It really is about the same drive time, if not a little less. The homes in OKC will be a little older.

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Mod cut: advertising not allowed. Please read TOS.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM

[quote=jwhitten;17812982]Moore is a very targeted area for Military as well as Edmond. The school districts are sought after. You will have a suburb feel in both of these areas. North OKC is also extremely sought after. It really is about the same drive time, if not a little less. The homes in OKC will be a little older. ( Mod cut: advertising )

I am already with Melissa there at Coldwell I wanted to get a locals perspective not a business perspective. I know you are limited to your opinions and are not fully willing to tell me about the crime and so forth in certain areas. Hence the reason why I chose to reach out to the locals and get a better feel for the area.

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM

110 posts, read 292,560 times
One rule of thumb we have always followed is that the closer to the base you are, the worse the area. It's held true for many many years. Including the times I moved around with my father during his 20+ years. With the humble exception of the upper peninsula of Michigan

If you are going to buy I would be cautious in doing so. Unless of course you are specifically looking for a property that you will use as an investment property once you leave. The housing market has done a real number on a lot of people's credit. Including military. So re-sale might be an issue.

Have you visited the areas out here yet? We chose Edmond for several reasons. One of the very best school districts in the state (nice point when its time to sell) and the housing/property values didn't drop like other areas. My husband can make it from the far side of Tinker (3001) to our house in less than 30 mins. Another area (depending on your budget) to consider is Nichols Hills. The best way to describe it is a city within Oklahoma City. VERY affluent area.

On a side note, we are leaving here and moving to the Washington DC area I will be visiting that forum so be sure to watch for me, LOL.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:14 PM

16 posts, read 85,191 times
We live 5 minutes drive from Tinker, and it is a nice area, and it is in Oklahoma City, but Del/Midwest schools. It is the Holly Brooks Estate area - off Sooner and 44th St. It is a group of houses with mostly couples, singles and a few children. Very quiet but very close to the base, shopping, etc. All single family houses. On the Google Map, it is called "Parkview". I can recommend that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City