Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,673,056 times

Advertisements

Well, obviously you can see what kind of people are fans of Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Creed,
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 03-27-2007, 03:57 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Although I only lived in Columbus for about a year and a half, I was not impressed overall, but I did come from the Dallas area, too and those are two totally different places! Although I've only visited Cinci a few times, it definately does feel larger and more built up than Cols. and there is a "Southern" feel to it. Cinci seems more industrial, though as you travel around the North and West side, but the downtown view coming from KY on I-65 is breathtaking at night.
When living in Cols. I felt that everyone was preoccupied with work and acted too materialistic. Seemed to be a general lack of politeness. I had a few people flip me off on the highway, and I was even going over the speed limit. Never got that in Dallas or Nashville, where I currently reside.
I've only driven thru Dallas myself (wish I'd had more time to stay & explore), but from what I could see, it rocks! From everything I've read/heard about the Big D, it sounds like my kindof place, too...

I know just what you mean about driving into Cincy from the KY side on the freeway! That is one sweet view—one of the few places in America where the terms "urban" and "beautiful" really do belong together

Old 03-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Default dtown

If you happen to get back to Dallas, be sure to drive around the city and get a good feel of it. It's got alot to offer! Traffic, though can be hairy but they have some of the best highways in the country in my opinion.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:47 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Although I'm in Columbus now, I really prefer Cincinnati for the following reasons:

It's more conservative.
Cincinnati has a well-deserved reputation for conservatism, especially on social issues. It has a more Southern feel to it, and has always had closer historic ties to the South. They have a freeway named in honor of Ronald Reagan. Many Cincinnatians are open about their Christian faith, and will gladly share it. I love all that! Columbus, on the other hand, is very open to sexual perversion and weirdness. That's proudly paraded down High St. every June in big, loud, obscene "rainbow"-colored glory.
How many times are you going to mention this in your posts?

I've lived in both cities, and I live fairly close to the Short North (High St) now and I can tell you that homosexuality isn't beaten over your head as this guy makes it seem. Are there more gay people in the Short North than in other areas of the city? Yes. But it's not some sort of gay rave every night like you are making it seem.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 AM
Gee

67 posts, read 340,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
When living in Cols. I felt that everyone was preoccupied with work and acted too materialistic. Seemed to be a general lack of politeness. I had a few people flip me off on the highway, and I was even going over the speed limit. Never got that in Dallas or Nashville, where I currently reside.
I lived in Dallas for 9 years and if you are a Yankee (meaning from up north) you are treated like a second class citizen - seemed to be a general lack of politeness. Folks retuned to their homes each night to a home with a privacy fence surrounding their yard and never spoke to their neighbors. The Dallas area is EXtremely materialistic with a high divorce rate. My kids had very few friends and aquantances with intact families. After moving there The Dallas Morning News had an article about how local area 2nd & 3rd graders were preoccupied with wearing desingner apparel including rabbit fur coats to school. It was unreal the materialistic preasures on the school age kids in Texas. Even toddlers needed to have designer shoes and clothes. Texas is a country unto itself or so it seems to believe. I was glad to leave and return to the USA.

Last edited by Gee; 03-28-2007 at 05:15 AM..

Old 03-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Default materialism

Gee,

I'm sorry about your experience in Dallas.. Yes, it is also a materialistic city, and I was referring to some smaller areas around the DFW area where I grew up, and parts of E. Texas that were very polite! It definately depends on where you live and I ran into several snobs growing up in the suburbs of Dallas, but I was just comparing as a whole and not trying to say that all of the North is horrible. Just my experience at that particular area of Ohio..
I appreciate your comments!

Old 03-29-2007, 11:53 AM

146 posts, read 789,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorst View Post
It will be five to ten degrees F colder in Columbus in the winter on a consistant basis. It snows a lot more in Columbus than it does in Cincinnati. Cincinnati does get the occasional ice storm wearas Columbus rarely gets those.
I'm a fan of Cincy myself, but, as weather/climate buff, I have to correct you on that...none of what you said is accurate. It is typically only 2 degrees colder in Columbus than it is in Cincy in the winter, and Columbus' average snowfall of 29.2" isn't that much more than Cincy's average of 23.7". Also, Columbus does get as many if not more ice storms as Cincy (while Columbus tends to get snow when Cincy is getting freezing rain/sleet, there are just as many if not more times when Columbus is getting freezing rain/sleet when Cincy is getting rain). What you said about Columbus' climate in comparison to Cincy's is actually much more accurate for Cleveland's climate in comparison to Cincy's.

http://mcc.sws.uiuc.edu/index.jsp

Old 03-31-2007, 01:03 AM

292 posts, read 993,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
I'm a fan of Cincy myself, but, as weather/climate buff, I have to correct you on that...none of what you said is accurate. It is typically only 2 degrees colder in Columbus than it is in Cincy in the winter, and Columbus' average snowfall of 29.2" isn't that much more than Cincy's average of 23.7". Also, Columbus does get as many if not more ice storms as Cincy (while Columbus tends to get snow when Cincy is getting freezing rain/sleet, there are just as many if not more times when Columbus is getting freezing rain/sleet when Cincy is getting rain). What you said about Columbus' climate in comparison to Cincy's is actually much more accurate for Cleveland's climate in comparison to Cincy's.

http://mcc.sws.uiuc.edu/index.jsp
Interesting ... That is not what my weather radio tells me. Maybe you're looking at the some sort of average daily temperature. Look at the temperature say at 8 or 9am (rush hour). It seems to me that Columbus is frequently about 5 degrees colder. Cincinnati generates a heat bubble so does Columbus. The temperatures I believe are recorded at the airports. Columbus' airport is inside the heat bubble. Cincinatis airport is out side the heat bubble and in a different state. So... When I roll out to work I'll check the temperature at the bank and see how it compares to the temperature at another bank. Usually these bank temperatures are warmer than the temperature the radio gives for Columbus by about five degrees. Right now the weather radio says at 2am Columbus is 57degrees and Cincinnati is 63degrees. The bank said 66 degrees as I rolled by at 1:55am. Is there something wrong with this logic?

5.5" is a bit more snow, say 20%. Woulds a mere difference of 2degress account for that increase of snow?

I've said how I get my information and process it. Now let's hear how you get yours and process it.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 AM

146 posts, read 789,524 times
zorst,

The 2-degree difference I mentioned is based on the official 30-year average temperatures at the international airports. You make a good point about the urban heat island effect, which is most pronounced in the downtown areas. However, the Columbus airport is 7 miles ENE of downtown Columbus, so I wouldn't think that the urban heat island effect is very pronunced there? With that being said, I now realize that to do a more accurate temperature comparison between Cincy and Columbus, it would be better to use the averages from Cincy's Lunken Field, which is 6 miles E of downtown Cincy, instead of those from the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport. Here are the average highs, lows and means for meteorological winter for Cincy's Lunken Field and Columbus' Port Columbus International Airport:

Cincinnati
Dec - 43.7/27.2/35.5
Jan - 39.2/22.4/30.8
Feb - 44.2/25.7/35.0

Columbus
Dec - 41.0/25.9/33.5
Jan - 36.2/20.3/28.3
Feb - 40.5/23.5/32.0.

So, if you base the comparison just on the highs, Cincy is, on average, 3.1 degrees warmer than Columbus in winter. If you base it on the means, Cincy is, on average, 2.5 degrees warmer. Either way, your 5-10 degree estimate is too high. As for bank temperatures, I have heard numerous meteorologists discount those over the years. They say that they tend to be inaccurate, usually on the high side.

And yes, a difference of 2 or 3 degrees could easily account for a difference of 5.5" of snow over the course of a year. You've probably noticed that a lot of winter precipitation tends to fall when the temperature is close to the freezing point of 32 degrees. 2 or 3 degrees is quite often the difference between who gets rain and who gets snow in those situations. It's not that uncommon, for example, for it to be 31 with snow/sleet in Columbus while it's 33 or 34 with rain in Cincy. However, I think that geographic position also accounts for a small amount of that 5.5" difference...even if there was no difference in temperatures, I would think that Columbus would get a very small amount of additional snow than Cincy just because of the fact that it's NE of Cincy, i.e., it's in a slightly more favorable position to get snow from the most common winter storm tracks and to get lake-enhanced snow from the Great Lakes. BTW, here is a link with a map that depicts Ohio's average snowfall: http://www.birminghamproject.org/maps/map_14.htm (broken link).

Last edited by Subway; 03-31-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio