Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:22 PM

52 posts, read 162,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Not from Ohio but just chiming in here. Everytime I've been to Ohio it seems like the Midwest until you get past Mansfield on I-71. Cleveland has always felt like the Northeast to me.
Exactly. Grandma-is-an-immigrant, old churches, ethnic foods.....east coast flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM

217 posts, read 693,393 times
cant speak on the rest of ohio much but, southern ohio like cinncinatti could never be east coast because ya'll just sound to southern... like to us in cleveland ya'll sound like kentucky or something...northeast ohio, western pa, buffalo area got our own thing jumping off.....

Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,457,819 times
Quote:
Exactly. Grandma-is-an-immigrant, old churches, ethnic foods....
And how is this is not like Detroit or Chicago?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:42 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,548,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saba2r View Post
Exactly. Grandma-is-an-immigrant, old churches, ethnic foods.....east coast flavor.
The immigrant flavor can be found all along the Great Lakes -- from Buffalo to Cleveland to Toledo/Detroit to Chicago. That doesn't make it like the East Coast. Heck, when you get away from the major cities on the East Coast it can be a bit like Appalachia in parts. As some others have pointed out, SE Ohio can be like West Virginia. When you view the state as a whole, however, it's most certainly Midwestern. The vast majority outside of the Midwest, I bet, see Ohio as part of the Midwest.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 14,896 times
The "midwest" states include IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, OH, NE, ND, SD and WI. They have been called the midwestern states for over 100 years. Back then what we now know as the western states or the west coast states were not settled by people Europeans decent. I must have been the only person who paid any attention to American History in high school.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,851,484 times
Definately Midwest in my mind.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,548,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguafria View Post
The hubby and I were having a discussion about Ohio. We were both born and raised there but we've lived in Arizona for about 10 years now. So it's not like we've never been there. I've ALWAYS considered Ohio to be the Midwest but he says when we fly back there we are going "back east." Please tell me I'm right!!

ETA ~ Ok....haha, I just read the second page and I see there is another thread about this. I'll read that one!
I work for a huge shipping company, we own the largest container boats in the world. It's all import export. I work not only with people in my office from all over the world and US, but also on the phone. I deal with people everywhere everyday, and have done this for 37 years. I pretty much know lots about our country as well as other countries.

NO TIME AND I MEAN NEVER WILL I EVER CONSIDER the thought that OHIO and any single solitary part of it has anything to do with the North east...I consider that a huge slam. Please don't ever put Ohio in with the category of NY, NY, PA, ME, CT, and so forth ....EVER.

There is a huge difference in Mid-westerns and Northeasterners....and people from Ohio are most assuredly Mid-westerners.

Also, having to deal with FUEL and FUEL SVC CHGS, and the Dept of Energy (DOE Fed Govt) pricing for fuel averages based by sectors of the USA....OHIO is considered MIDWEST.

End of story, no further arguments will be entertained

Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 AM

84 posts, read 350,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I work for a huge shipping company, we own the largest container boats in the world. It's all import export. I work not only with people in my office from all over the world and US, but also on the phone. I deal with people everywhere everyday, and have done this for 37 years. I pretty much know lots about our country as well as other countries.

NO TIME AND I MEAN NEVER WILL I EVER CONSIDER the thought that OHIO and any single solitary part of it has anything to do with the North east...I consider that a huge slam. Please don't ever put Ohio in with the category of NY, NY, PA, ME, CT, and so forth ....EVER.

There is a huge difference in Mid-westerns and Northeasterners....and people from Ohio are most assuredly Mid-westerners.

Also, having to deal with FUEL and FUEL SVC CHGS, and the Dept of Energy (DOE Fed Govt) pricing for fuel averages based by sectors of the USA....OHIO is considered MIDWEST.

Whoo-hooo! I win the argument then!! I'm gonna print out your post and give it to him....hehe

Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM

74 posts, read 282,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post

Big bad factory worker knows her stuff. Why does working for a shipping company make you a learned expert on geographic locations.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM

74 posts, read 282,105 times
I also think it's funny you consider considering a part of Ohio the northeast a slam. I think it would be a slam to the people in that part of Ohio considering how rude Northeasterners seem to be. Mrs. P is a great example of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio