Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 AM

27 posts, read 76,838 times

Advertisements

We recently moved from PA to the outskirts of Youngstown. We purchased one lot of property consisting of 4+ acres and if the zoning works out, we are going to purchase the adjacent 5+ acres next to us. We are preparing to present our case to City Hall and WE WANT YOUR OPINION....
At the current time our property is Zoned apartments, (ALTHOUGH IN OUR AREA THERE IS ONLY SINGLE FAMILY HOUSES) from what I understand, this change was made when they built the prison. Under Youngstown zoning laws, any residential property with over 3 acres can be used for agriculture. As explained in my prior post, the planning board bulked at the idea of animals, even one horse, or any farm animal, or agriculture on the property, even at 10 acres, so it was pushed onto City Hall for a hearing.

I'm searching for YOUR OPINIONS, the residents of Ohio, no matter if you live within the city, in the outskirts, or across the state.

THE QUESTIONS ARE:

Even within City Limits / Outskirts, and the appropriate amount of property is available, (by zoning law it states, 3+ acres)

1) SHOULD AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES BE PERMITTED on appropriate sized lots?

2) Do you feel that having agricultural activities mixed within the city limits would increase or decrease the value of the surrounding properties?

3) If it was YOUR neighbor that had the appropriate amount of property for their "planned agriculture", either animals, or growing crops, would you support or attempt to stop their efforts in applying agricultural activities next to you?

4) Have you, or anyone that you know, have been successful or unsuccessful at the City Hall level to be permitted to move agriculture into an area that was zoned for something besides agriculture?

Thanks for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIOBLIZZ View Post
THE QUESTIONS ARE:

Even within City Limits / Outskirts, and the appropriate amount of property is available, (by zoning law it states, 3+ acres)

1) SHOULD AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES BE PERMITTED on appropriate sized lots?
I think it's a great idea, with the increasing costs of food, etc.

Quote:
2) Do you feel that having agricultural activities mixed within the city limits would increase or decrease the value of the surrounding properties?
In your case, because you said in your first post that your land is currently collecting trash, I definitely think it would increase the values of surrounding properties. In other cases, I'm not so sure. In some snootier neighborhoods, (not typically found in Youngstown) they might object to the smells of animals, or chemicals used on crops.

Quote:
3) If it was YOUR neighbor that had the appropriate amount of property for their "planned agriculture", either animals, or growing crops, would you support or attempt to stop their efforts in applying agricultural activities next to you?
I would support their efforts.

Quote:
4) Have you, or anyone that you know, have been successful or unsuccessful at the City Hall level to be permitted to move agriculture into an area that was zoned for something besides agriculture?
I have no experience with this kind of thing. But, I'm surprised you've had as much trouble already.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 PM

Anyone else??? Everyone has an OPINION!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Wow, that is a lot of land to buy within the city limits of a formerly large population city. Just out of curiosity, what is the approximate cost per acre that you bought the land for?

I read about the Youngstown "downsizing" plan, and it seems like converting vacant or abandoned land to small scale farming would have a place in that plan. Does Ytown have a farmer's market, food coop or anything like that? There is a "local grown" trend going on with food stores in some parts of the country. If you can find some like minded allies in Ytown, you might put some clout on your side that would enable organic crops to be raised on that vacant land. However I would not expect it would be easy to get approval for keeping farm animals on that property. City would probably have too many issues with smell or waste runoff. If you stick to raising organic grown crops on the land that don't use nasty sprays or chemicals, I would think the city would be all for it. I would think most nearby residents would prefer seeing crops growing in open land than piles of trash growing. Good luck and good city farming to you.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Large parts of the east side were never developed. Back in the 50's and 60's, infrastructure (like roads and water lines) was put in place in anticipation of future expansion. But, that obviously never happened.

About 6 years ago, I saw 3 acres, with a small, 1-bedroom bungalow, sell for $9,000 in that general area.

There are farmers markets. I think there is a north side farmer's market, although I haven't heard about that one this year. And, there will be a downtown farmer's market.

This one is new. It will be held in Central Square every Tuesday starting July 22 through Sept. 16, from 3pm to 6pm. For more information, contact Jim Converse 330-518-6971 or jconverse@greaterohio.org (I got that information from this link: 2008 Calendar of Events )

Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Still pushing for permission to bring agriculture, (2 horses and a few dairy goats) to the outskirts of Youngstown...
We've tried the suggestions of involving the community, the counsel, the other agricultural groups with no luck. Many seem uneducated about light agricultural and I've even had concerns about goats and horses chasing neighbors if they were permitted in the area. It's a waste of land having 10 acres and not permitted to do anything on it besides place apartments here. Our final plea is in the near future, but after looking for support, no one interested in becoming educated and looking at the picture as a whole, we are ready to give up. Our plan fits right into the YOUNGSTOWN 2010 PLAN... but no one really seems to be interested in this future plan. All I hear is how wonderful things will be in the year 2010, we all need to work on this, ha, there's a whole lot of talking and a whole lot of people looking the other way. We've owned our house here for less than two months, and we were told about the outskirts of Youngstown being an animal friendly community and bringing our two horses and a few goats would be no big deal, we now sit here hating the area, and paying a mortgage payment for it every month. If anyone wants a dirt cheap house with lots of land to watch the weeds grow, and garbage being dumped in it, we have the perfect house for you, and it's for sale... If anyone has a parcel of property that has a small house, and room for a few animals, please let us know... we'll move in this weekend!

Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Besides horses and goats chasing neighbors, what are the objections you're getting? Or do the organizations you've talked to seem disinterested?

I know people who have miniature goats and live in the city. The goats are just considered pets, so there was no need of a zoning change. Would that be a possible alternative?

I understand your frustration, but it still seem too soon to give up.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM

Have you emailed the mayor? mayor@cityofyoungstownoh.com I'm not saying you'll get a response as he's a busy man. But, you might get a response if you explain--in detail--your problems to him. Explain that what you want to do is a good fit for the 2010 plan.

You could even try calling: (330)742-8701

Old 07-16-2008, 05:02 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
I thought it was a little soon to be giving up too. I understand it's frustrating, but you are dealing w/the a city. Cities are bureaucracies and it takes time to change things.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Grow Youngstown has been here at the property and we have been able to sit down and review our plans and they expressed that our animals would fit right in. I've discussed our plan with Mr. Kitchen, and although we didn't get a yes, he didn't give us a NO either. The zoning officer seems okay with the idea and Some people even on the City Hall board seems to not have a big problem, and I feel that most problems are coming from not being educated regarding "backyard farming". We aren't looking at a 500 head dairy farm with manure spreaders and tractors. We have our riding horses who we take on trail rides and a few dairy goats that we use for milk and weed control. Imagine a vacant city lot , full of brush and weeds... My goats could clear off that lot and gardens or landscaping could be built. No chemicals, no poisons, no pulling weeds and using chainsaws for hours. Any extra manure can be used not only for our garden, but community gardens, and simply put, people enjoy watching animals and in this day of fast lanes, cement sidewalks and busy streets, a ride down the road to watch a horse or goat play in the pasture can be good medicine for the heart and soul. I've even contacted the county and to my disbelief, found out how limited the 4-H programs are around here. No small animal 4-H programs, no place for kids to learn about nature, about animal husbandry. How many kids have never touched a horse, petted a goat? I'm even willing to start a 4-H youth group, to educate people, but I'm currently 100 miles away from my animals, my life, and someone is going to have to bend a bit to allow that education to be offered. Meanwhile as things stand, the neighborhood is acting like I'm bringing in Jurassic Park. If Y-Town wants this big change, they need to allow someone to start it, right???? East side has many empty lots that need a use for! I don't see the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: