Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2024, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.

I'm currently residing in Texas and will be relocating to northern Ohio in a few weeks.

When I moved to Texas from Michigan a few years ago, I didn't get TX titles for my vehicles, because TX didn't require local titles. I simply got TX registrations. My car titles are still with Michigan.

My question is whether this will be a problem for Ohio BMV. The BMV website says I need to bring "out of state titles" to get OH titles. I take this to mean that my Michigan titles should do. It doesn't say "immediate previous state titles."

Does anyone have a similar experience? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 04:29 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollar View Post
Hi guys.

I'm currently residing in Texas and will be relocating to northern Ohio in a few weeks.

When I moved to Texas from Michigan a few years ago, I didn't get TX titles for my vehicles, because TX didn't require local titles. I simply got TX registrations. My car titles are still with Michigan.

My question is whether this will be a problem for Ohio BMV. The BMV website says I need to bring "out of state titles" to get OH titles. I take this to mean that my Michigan titles should do. It doesn't say "immediate previous state titles."

My car's title Is Duke of the Open Road, or "Your highness"

You can only give Ohio the title you have. They have surely dealt with similar situations many times in the past.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:19 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
The Michigan title is your most recent title and will be fine. Don't explain things about Texas too much at the BMV and you'll be okay. Just give them the Michigan title and tell them you've moved to Ohio. Too much information might confuse them. Keep it simple.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Triple check that your vehicle VIN matches the VIN on the title. There is a required inspection. If they do not match, you will have problems.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:53 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
The Michigan title is your most recent title and will be fine. Don't explain things about Texas too much at the BMV and you'll be okay. Just give them the Michigan title and tell them you've moved to Ohio. Too much information might confuse them. Keep it simple.
I agree. If that is your current title, that is your current title. Don't try to explain anything that might raise an eyebrow. "I just moved to Ohio. Here is my title. What do you need me to do?"

Old 04-05-2024, 05:57 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollar View Post
Hi guys.

I had this EXACT same situation. I recently moved from San Antonio to Cincinnati and had vehicles with North Carolina Titles. It was not a problem to re-title and register the cars. A previous poster was correct that the BMV will visually inspect your car to ensure the VIN on your existing Title matches what is on the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: