Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 05:22 AM

678 posts, read 408,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
His fire in the belly is my fire in the belly.....

Middletown is a cauldron of passion...JD Vance is only one example of that fire
And where does that passion come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 06:09 PM

204 posts, read 71,733 times
Quote:
His fire in the belly is my fire in the belly.....

Middletown is a cauldron of passion...JD Vance is only one example of that fire
He's an example that propaganda works.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post

Greater Middletown is maybe 150-200,000 people, over half descended from Eastern Kentucky....which makes it (along with downriver Hamilton) the two largest cities built largely by Eastern Kentuckians. Lexington is not Eastern Kentucky btw.

So basically it is a major city of a very unique subculture of America ..a Celtic capital of you will.

JD Vance represents that... interestingly his Mother is very involved with Middletown. Advocating on behalf of transitional housing for those coming out of rehab.

I love JD Vance...like a cousin.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post

Greater Middletown is maybe 150-200,000 people, over half descended from Eastern Kentucky....which makes it (along with downriver Hamilton) the two largest cities built largely by Eastern Kentuckians. Lexington is not Eastern Kentucky btw.

So basically it is a major city of a very unique subculture of America ..a Celtic capital of you will.

JD Vance represents that... interestingly his Mother is very involved with Middletown. Advocating on behalf of transitional housing for those coming out of rehab.

Old 04-13-2024, 02:12 AM

Quote:

Well not really. Both were largely settled and founded by people from the Mid-Atlantic who created all the institutions and businesses, etc. then later Germans came to dominate. So much so that Hamilton has two neighborhoods honouring its German heritage; Lindenwald and German Village. A good number of the Appalachians who came later went back home when industrial jobs declined as was the case in many other industrial cities. Additionally, Middletown, and to a greater extent Hamilton, have some of the fastest growing Hispanic and Latino populations in all of Ohio.

If anywhere in Ohio is truly Appalachian influenced, it’s the Southeast, not just culturally but geographically as well. Particularly places like Ironton, Portsmouth, Jackson and Gallipolis.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 04-13-2024 at 02:34 AM..

Old 04-13-2024, 07:22 PM

Whatever....the potential next vice president is a Middletuckian...

And another Middletuckian just kicked some major ass...

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...-debut-ufc-300

Middletown, regardless of people's ethnicity...are very Middletonian...the city has a very strong identity. And very true about the growing Hispanic population. We have excellent Dominican and Mexican in Middletown.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:24 PM

Middletown also had/has large Irish, Greek, Italian and Jewish communities. But the largest distinct cohort of people trace their ancestry to Eastern Kentucky.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:03 AM

Quote:
And another Middletuckian just kicked some major ass...

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...-debut-ufc-300

Middletown, regardless of people's ethnicity...are very Middletonian...the city has a very strong identity.
Yes, definitely. But I don't think this identity is forged by the Appalachians necessarily. They're just one part of it. You may be somewhat more accurate if you're describing Middletown specifically but I don't think what you describe is as applicable to Hamilton or Butler County on the whole.

Quote:
the largest distinct cohort of people trace their ancestry to Eastern Kentucky.
What's your source(s) on that? Because as far as what I find in the study of this place, a very large number of people in Butler County, Ohio also trace their ancestry to Southwestern Germany. Additionally, a large number of the population also identify as Catholic and Mainline Protestant, whereas almost all people from Eastern Kentucky are Evangelical Protestant (Baptist, Pentecostal, Church of Christ). A growing number are also identifying as Muslim as well.

Last edited by Doughboy1918; 04-14-2024 at 03:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2024, 07:35 PM

I was born in Middletown.....my Mom's family came from Wolfe County Kentucky...my Dad is from Pittsburgh...sorta an Appalachian Love Child.

Curious about your interest in my home city....

Old 04-15-2024, 07:39 PM

Hamilton's branch of Miami University has an Appalachian Cultural center....the Great Miami River is the largest river that ends in Kentucky....the regions have been connected for millenia ..Paul Sorg... Middletown's first mega-wealthy guy ..grew tobacco ..way before the steel making area attracted workers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio