Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 05:53 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times

Advertisements

I have traveled the country and beyond . I grew up in NYC but always had Cleveland( and Ohio) on my bucket list. Everyone I tell looks at me like " why" or wtf. I never watched any Cleveland show or movie. I am simply going by intuition. I am of latin descent but always been fascinated by rust belt, gritty, hyper-local cities in the US... that are a shadow of what they once where. I feel Cleveland fits this. I just think it will be amazing with all its "
issues" to visit. After much research it seems all 3 C's have something different and since I cant decide which .... I will visit & drive all 3. So my question is ... What do you recommend I visit or experience in these 3 cities that are somewhat "unique" to this city ?? and how many days in each ?? I am a big foodie but not fancy ( more like a lunch plate, hole in the wall, ethnic type places) , nice scenery, and just lounging. Seeing interesrting musuems
and what not. Not a big drinker but do enjoy some nightlife and lounges. Any suggestions ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 07:48 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
You can easily spend 3 days in Cleveland. One day focused more downtown and Ohio City, one day focused around University Circle and Little Italy, and one day maybe getting out into a few outer neighborhoods.

For a visitor in Columbus, I really don't think you need much more than a day. There is nothing in Columbus that isn't eclipsed by what you'll see in Cleveland when it comes to typical tourist things. For example, if you go to the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Columbus Museum of Art becomes kinda pointless. German Village and the Short North are the most popular places to go for out of towners. IMO Short North honestly kinda sucks, just overpriced homogenized yuppie stuff. German Village is a gem of a neighborhood with some great places to eat, such as Valter's and Lindey's. Beck's, Mohawk, and Club 185 are cool bars down there too. But that's pretty much it, unless you want to see an Ohio State football game or something.

I don't know Cincinnati well enough to advise on it.

Old 10-11-2023, 08:09 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
I would spend 3 days in Cincy...2 days in C-bus...3 days in Cleve...
Cincy I'd explore downtown, Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park, OTR, and Columbia Tusculum...check out the National Freedom Center down in The Banks...Union Terminal, an amazing Art Deco Rail terminal w/ museums...If you like zoo's, Cincinnati has one of the best in the country

Columbus, explore Downtown, German Village, The Brewery District, Short North, Ohio State Campus...and maybe some places like Grandview Hts, Bridgepark in Dublin...if you like shopping, Easton Town Center...

Cleveland, check out Downtown, University Circle, Ohio City, Tremont, Edgewater, Gordon Square..and then some of the suburbs like Shaker Hts, Cleveland Hts, University Hts....maybe take a day to go one of the great Metroparks or the Cuyahoga Valley National Park...expore the Great Lakes Science Center, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, The Cleveland Art Museum...maybe take a side trip an hr south to Canton and check out the Pro Football Hall of Fame if you like Football.

All 3 cities have great Craft Breweries in them to try out.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:01 AM

70 posts, read 74,009 times
Nothing

Old 01-28-2024, 01:50 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
Nothing
Like you would know. You haven't to all the 3 C's in Ohio.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:12 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Like you would know. You haven't to all the 3 C's in Ohio.
To be fair living in St Marys is a pretty rough ride in and of itself...

Old 01-30-2024, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I just read that Cincinnati is the best of the three Cs but hey what do I know? I don't live there yet!

Old 02-03-2024, 09:10 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just read that Cincinnati is the best of the three Cs but hey what do I know? I don't live there yet!
Cincinnati is a good place to live, and the city has a lot of recent investment. I lived in the metro area for a few years and enjoyed my time there. Cincinnati and its suburbs seem to continue stretching North towards Dayton so this helps it feel bigger.

I prefer Columbus of the three C's, but there are pros and cons to all three cities and each may be more appealing depending on what you are looking for in a city. I find Cleveland to be more blue collar and a typical rust belt city but it has a more Northeastern feel than Midwestern. There is little to no Appalachian influence in Cleveland, like there is in Cincinnati and other parts of Ohio.

Columbus is a solid Midwestern city, that is similar to Indianapolis. Some people find Columbus to be bland and suburban but I enjoy the newness of it and there are many things to do in Columbus to keep you busy. The Zoo is amazing and they have an IKEA lol. Columbus seems to be the area in the State where new businesses expand first, something to do with it being a test market I have been told.

Cincinnati has the best weather in Ohio, beautiful topography along the Ohio River and short drive to many cities across the South such as Nashville, the Carolinas and even a long days drive to Florida. Cleveland is a bit too North and has cooler Winters and a lot more snow, but less snow than years past. Lake Erie also contributes to considerable clouds in Winter and Spring, but makes up for it in Summer and Fall.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Cincinnati is a good place to live, and the city has a lot of recent investment. I lived in the metro area for a few years and enjoyed my time there. Cincinnati and its suburbs seem to continue stretching North towards Dayton so this helps it feel bigger.

I prefer Columbus of the three C's, but there are pros and cons to all three cities and each may be more appealing depending on what you are looking for in a city. I find Cleveland to be more blue collar and a typical rust belt city but it has a more Northeastern feel than Midwestern. There is little to no Appalachian influence in Cleveland, like there is in Cincinnati and other parts of Ohio.

Columbus is a solid Midwestern city, that is similar to Indianapolis. Some people find Columbus to be bland and suburban but I enjoy the newness of it and there are many things to do in Columbus to keep you busy. The Zoo is amazing and they have an IKEA lol. Columbus seems to be the area in the State where new businesses expand first, something to do with it being a test market I have been told.

Cincinnati has the best weather in Ohio, beautiful topography along the Ohio River and short drive to many cities across the South such as Nashville, the Carolinas and even a long days drive to Florida. Cleveland is a bit too North and has cooler Winters and a lot more snow, but less snow than years past. Lake Erie also contributes to considerable clouds in Winter and Spring, but makes up for it in Summer and Fall.
The weather and nearby family are the main reasons I'm moving but I am super excited about it! Leaving in the morning to spend a week in the area checking things out, interviewing builders, etc. My plan is to narrow down my options a lot this next week. I have lots of family in Cincinnati and in Lebanon.

The crazy thing to me is how people seem so averse to driving any distance in that area. I have lived in Texas for the past 30 years - I drove half an hour in to work, and then back, every day of my life. A two hour drive is NOTHING. I worked with someone who drove from the Dallas area (Rockwall) into Tyler nearly every single day - that's an hour and a half. I used to work with someone who drove nearly an hour every day (we worked together for three years). When I visited my SIL in SW Ohio, she kept apologizing because her daughter lived an hour away and we drove there one day. I was like, girl PLEASE. STOP IT.

Speaking of daughters, my own daughter once said to me that Beavercreek (an area I am interested in for various reasons) was "too far a drive for her, so please don't choose that area." It's a 30 minute drive from her house to the middle of Beavercreek.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-03-2024 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-03-2024, 09:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The weather and nearby family are the main reasons I'm moving but I am super excited about it! Leaving in the morning to spend a week in the area checking things out, interviewing builders, etc. My plan is to narrow down my options a lot this next week. I have lots of family in Cincinnati and in Lebanon.

The crazy thing to me is how people seem so averse to driving any distance in that area. I have lived in Texas for the past 30 years - I drove half an hour in to work, and then back, every day of my life. A two hour drive is NOTHING. I worked with someone who drove from the Dallas area (Rockwall) into Tyler nearly every single day - that's an hour and a half. I used to work with someone who drove nearly an hour every day (we worked together for three years). When I visited my SIL in SW Ohio, she kept apologizing because her daughter lived an hour away and we drove there one day. I was like, girl PLEASE. STOP IT.
That's interesting! I wonder if it has to do with things being more compact/closer together here? In my family, a long drive is anything over 20 minutes. My family is clustered in Massillon/SW Stark County, and has been, since the early 1950's. (some parts going back much further) One cousin moved to Akron, and hosted Thanksgiving one year. That was a huge event, for everyone to drive so far, and it never happened again, LOL. I think a normal commute to work would be a 15 minute drive, max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio