Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 10:48 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times

Advertisements

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-green-economy

Middletown is used to being overlooked.....but this is rather huge. Positioning Middletown as the most advanced steel-producing city in the country (on earth?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 09:21 AM

676 posts, read 407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...-green-economy

Middletown is used to being overlooked.....but this is rather huge. Positioning Middletown as the most advanced steel-producing city in the country (on earth?)
Are you trying to promote some sort of far-right nationalism here?

Old 03-29-2024, 06:32 PM

Umm....no. I am friends with the person who is charge of this program. If you read the article, it states that after the implementation of this transition to hydrogen, the Middletown works will be the most advanced steel production on the planet. Nothing political in that. It is great news for Middletown, Ohio. And the nation.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:56 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Until further analysis of the feasibility and cost effectiveness of this program is done by an IMPARTIAL source, I will reserve judgement on the idea. The timing of this announcement (a few months prior to the upcoming election) is too coincidental to me to pass the sniff test.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:33 PM

This has been in the works for years. Last year the Middletown Works conducted the first ever hydrogen-powered blast furnace trial in US history, continuing Middletown 's history of steel making innovation (rolled steel was largely invented in Middletown).

https://www.clevelandcliffs.com/news...-blast-furnace

I don't see this as political. It will reduce pollution as well as reducing overhead costs. It is a huge advancement in clean steel (no coke).

Old 03-31-2024, 12:05 PM

The total investment is actually $1,800,000,000.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/18...CI7AMUJTABU2E/

Old 04-06-2024, 12:47 AM

There is a good chance that Trump will choose a Middletonian as his running mate....not many American cities can say that.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:58 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Wow, look at all the violations of the terms of service in this topic!

Old 04-06-2024, 06:49 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
This doesn't look at all like politics to me. It looks like a straight news article. FWIW, I was working in the steel industry many years ago. Not in the manufacture of it, but in the final product as a ship fitter in Pascagoula, Ms.

At that time, US made steel was being pushed off the job sites by Japanese steel. I asked one of the purchasing agents at my job why, and he said that they had to reject nearly 50% of the US made steel due to flaws, while the Japanese had maybe 2% rejected.

The inspectors barely even had to look at the Japanese steel because it was made so well. So if this new plant in Ohio gets us back into the game, that's a big deal indeed.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
This doesn't look at all like politics to me. It looks like a straight news article. FWIW, I was working in the steel industry many years ago. Not in the manufacture of it, but in the final product as a ship fitter in Pascagoula, Ms.

At that time, US made steel was being pushed off the job sites by Japanese steel. I asked one of the purchasing agents at my job why, and he said that they had to reject nearly 50% of the US made steel due to flaws, while the Japanese had maybe 2% rejected.

The inspectors barely even had to look at the Japanese steel because it was made so well. So if this new plant in Ohio gets us back into the game, that's a big deal indeed.

There is actually a Japanese connection to this story. Armco (American Rolling Mill Corporation) was founded in Middletown over a century ago. In the 80's I believe, it was bought by Kawasaki Stell and rebranded as AK Steel, a fortune 500 company. When Trump came in, he "nationalized" the steel industry and Cleveland Cliffs bought out the Japanese.

Maybe the Japanese legacy of quality is the reason the powers that be have selected Middletown for this cutting-edge steel making initiative

Middletown btw, maintains a sister city relationship with the city in n Japan that is home to Kawasaki Steel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio