Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 09:02 AM

146 posts, read 152,052 times

Advertisements

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2022, 09:40 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
For sure, particularly in Northeast Ohio where it was originally settled from Connecticut. New England towns usually have a downtown square that was historically used for public speaking or announcements. Here are 3 small towns in NE Oh that were developed in this fashion include:

Burton
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5823...2!8i6656?hl=en

Chagrin Falls
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4302...4!8i8192?hl=en

Chardon https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch....2033395?hl=en

Old 07-10-2022, 09:43 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
For sure, particularly in Northeast Ohio where it was originally settled from Connecticut. New England towns usually have a downtown square that was historically used for public speaking or announcements. Here are 3 small towns in NE Oh that were developed in this fashion include:

Burton
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5823...2!8i6656?hl=en

Chagrin Falls
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4302...4!8i8192?hl=en

Chardon https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch....2033395?hl=en
These are definitely 3 of them. I would also add:

Hudson, Gates Mills and Painesville.... Cleveland was obviously born of the literal Connecticut Land Co. which established the Western Reserve (of the State of Connecticut) ... Of course, given the city's main explosive growth in the latter half of the 19th Century, there is little visibly left of its New England. However, the center of town, Public Square, is absolutely a NE attribute, including the fact it is still called: Public Square, which defined this central park's use as much as identified it as a location.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:32 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Hudson, Gates Mills and Painesville.... Cleveland was obviously born of the literal Connecticut Land Co. which established the Western Reserve (of the State of Connecticut) ... Of course, given the city's main explosive growth in the latter half of the 19th Century, there is little visibly left of its New England. However, the center of town, Public Square, is absolutely a NE attribute, including the fact it is still called: Public Square, which defined this central park's use as much as identified it as a location.

I would add Chardon and Medina to this list of Greater Cleveland communities with distinctive town squares. Each has among the very best town squares in Greater Cleveland, at least of which I'm familiar. I'm certain there are several others. It's amazing how many of the photo links in the following thread are now dead links.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...n-squares.html

Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Garretsville, Hiram, and the center of Warren def feel like New England.

Geauga County reminds me so so much of Massachusetts.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:46 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Garretsville, Hiram, and the center of Warren def feel like New England.

Geauga County reminds me so so much of Massachusetts.
Agree with your choices - never thought that downtown Warren would be mentioned by anyone other than myself. Geauga County does remind me of MA, also.

I'll add Canfield and Poland.

Not in my area, but Yellow Springs feels very New England-ish.

Old 07-17-2022, 06:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Agree with your choices - never thought that downtown Warren would be mentioned by anyone other than myself. Geauga County does remind me of MA, also.

I'll add Canfield and Poland.

Not in my area, but Yellow Springs feels very New England-ish.
Glad we agree! I do quite like downtown Warren.

Let me also add:
- Oberlin
- Amherst
- Wooster
- Peninsula
- Columbiana
- Bedford

Old 07-22-2022, 12:09 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

Most of Cleveland seems very 19th Century to me, as does NYC, with the exception of Greenwich Village. New York is known as Art Deco city, The parts of Cleveland I am most familiar with seem to be neo-Classical and, yes, very 18th C.

Yes, Public Square would be the same as The Commons, idea, which was and is present in New England village.

There are so many parts of Cleveland that I need to explore.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:45 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,247,962 times
Vermilion!!

I lived there ten years, and it is absolutely a little slice of New England on Ohio's north coast.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:53 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Vermilion!!

I lived there ten years, and it is absolutely a little slice of New England on Ohio's north coast.

Just curious what New England communities share the advantages of Vermilion. Not only it's individual charm, but proximity to Cleveland's superb cultural venues and pro sports venues, as well as day trip/season pass proximity to Cedar Point, "the roller coaster capital of the world." Also, I'm certain some Vermilion boaters regularly make the trek to Put-in-Bay and Kellys Island.

https://www.discoververmilion.org/visitors-guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: