Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 09:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
SE Ohio shares much in common with Appalachia. The whole state is about 5 years behind the East and West coasts. That is not meant as criticism, it just is.
This is an interesting comment. I moved here three years ago from Seattle, and I often read articles about plans in Cleveland and think 'hey, we did that in Seattle five (or ten) years ago!' Looks like Cleveland is moving in the right direction....at least as far as I'm concerned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2021, 09:09 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
This is an interesting comment. I moved here three years ago from Seattle, and I often read articles about plans in Cleveland and think 'hey, we did that in Seattle five (or ten) years ago!' Looks like Cleveland is moving in the right direction....at least as far as I'm concerned!
I hope to not end up like Seattle though.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thank you for informing me. I have friends who grew up in Cincinnati and complain that is was "churchy" and "conservative".

Most cities today are more moderate, if not progressive. Rural areas anywhere lean right.

I do not regret moving to Ohio at all. I do regret the time I did in PA.

Now I'd like to move closer to Cleveland.
Sheena, I hope you are able to move soon! I felt the same way after living two years in Mansfield...couldn't wait to get out! I drove over to Warren a month or so ago...just exploring....seemed pretty depressing.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I hope to not end up like Seattle though.
Well, there are good things and bad things about Seattle these days for sure! I was thinking about things like keeping the lakes clean, transit oriented development and connecting the downtown to the water....stuff that seems to be happening in Cleveland recently. One thing I like about Cleveland is the lack of a massive homeless population...or maybe it is just well hidden here...I surely hope Cleveland doesn't get "hot" like Seattle did, resulting in massive rent increases and putting lots of people out on the street!

Old 10-16-2021, 10:59 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Well, there are good things and bad things about Seattle these days for sure! I was thinking about things like keeping the lakes clean, transit oriented development and connecting the downtown to the water....stuff that seems to be happening in Cleveland recently. One thing I like about Cleveland is the lack of a massive homeless population...or maybe it is just well hidden here...I surely hope Cleveland doesn't get "hot" like Seattle did, resulting in massive rent increases and putting lots of people out on the street!
The relatively low cost of housing in Cleveland perhaps precludes much of the homeless endemic taking place in high-cost housing markets on the west coast.

However, Cuyahoga County may be extremely progressive in dealing with its homeless population compared to other urban counties, even in Seattle.

<<Saw a WVIZ "Ideas" story on the Housing First coalition that claimed it was close to eliminating long-term homelessness in Cuyahoga County and that program pays for itself by reducing the cost of community services for these individuals, and that 20 percent of residents annually move on to permanent solutions, as a result of services provided on-site.>>

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...long-term.html

Old 10-16-2021, 10:59 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Blanket statements about crime and poverty are pretty useless. You can find good and bad in any state. I think Ohio has something that will appeal to most everyone. The further north you go, the more snow you will have. If you want liberal politics, there is a place for you in Ohio. If you want conservative politics, there is a place for you in Ohio.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:06 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
SE Ohio shares much in common with Appalachia. The whole state is about 5 years behind the East and West coasts. That is not meant as criticism, it just is.
It's not so much that the state is "behind" or otherwise inferior to that or another place, but that it tends towards traditionalism and to a blue-collar ethos. it's hard to find in Ohio the sort of worldly affluence that one encounters in parts of NYC, LA, DC and the like. 100 years ago, Cleveland was famous for its Old Money. Even Dayton had its share... the storied industrialists of the late 19th century, who made it big. Such top-heavy presence is hard to find in modern Ohio. The plutocrats have moved on, and so, one presumes, have the artisans and bureaucrats and lackeys who served them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
... If you want liberal politics, there is a place for you in Ohio. If you want conservative politics, there is a place for you in Ohio.
Not entirely. Conservative politics in Ohio is either Trumpian populism or religious traditionalism. Libertarianism is lacking. A Silicon Valley-style, winner-takes-all swashbuckling individualism, is almost completely lacking.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:26 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have friends who grew up in Cincinnati and complain that is was "churchy" and "conservative".
That was true at one time, Cincinnati was way too catholic and they had the Larry Flynt obscenity trial and you could not buy Penthouse Forum anywhere in Hamilton county, they were always bad about shoving their religion down everyone’s throat, much like my heavily Baptist area that does not want people to be able to buy alcohol on Sunday, not even at the bowling alley.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Sheena, I hope you are able to move soon! I felt the same way after living two years in Mansfield...couldn't wait to get out! I drove over to Warren a month or so ago...just exploring....seemed pretty depressing.
I don't know if I'm weird, but I actually do have great fondness for the entire Youngstown-Warren Mahoning Valley area. Courthouse Square is very charming and feels transplanted directly from New England. I was just in Warren yesterday, had a great time at Nova Coffee right on the square and Modern Methods Brewery on Dave Grohl Alley (legit one of my favorite breweries anywhere in Ohio).

Although I would say that currently my favorite smaller town in Ohio is probably Columbiana.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
That was true at one time, Cincinnati was way too catholic and they had the Larry Flynt obscenity trial and you could not buy Penthouse Forum anywhere in Hamilton county, they were always bad about shoving their religion down everyone’s throat, much like my heavily Baptist area that does not want people to be able to buy alcohol on Sunday, not even at the bowling alley.
meh Cincinnati is just too German imo. Ethnic Catholic areas are always the most fun places anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio