Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 11:28 PM

149 posts, read 175,459 times

Advertisements

We are interested to live in the area between Holmes County and Canton- Akron... My husband is a Real Estate Appraiser and needs to drive a lot because of his work...How good do they clean the roads in the Holmes County during winter months? Do you think that Real Estate business is doing good in Holmes County?... My husband is not a sales person, rather works in area of financing the real Estate deals, working for different banks, and is self-employed. Holmes County is of an interest for usbecause we are looking for a plain ( Mennonite, New Order Amish - Mennonite type)....
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 06:32 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Holmes county is hillier than Wayne county, because it is south of the glacial line. Having an AWD SUV with decent ground clearance in Wayne county makes life much easier. That is going to be even more the case in Holmes county. In this part of the country, if the land is flat, then it is floodplain. Even if the roads are clear, you still have to deal with getting in and out of your driveway.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:46 PM

f I understand you correctly, driving in the Holmes county is more difficult?

Old 07-18-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
f I understand you correctly, driving in the Holmes county is more difficult?
More difficult than Wayne county. There are higher hills, and the roads curve more. There can also be a surprising amount of traffic for a county of 42,000, especially during the tourist season.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
More difficult than Wayne county. There are higher hills, and the roads curve more. There can also be a surprising amount of traffic for a county of 42,000, especially during the tourist season.
Thank you very much for heads up....How about Stark County? Stark County is close to Akron-Canton, at the same time not too far from Holmes County. In

Old 07-19-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
Thank you very much for heads up....How about Stark County? Stark County is close to Akron-Canton, at the same time not too far from Holmes County. In
Stark county will be better than Holmes county. Snow removal will vary by community.

I was born in Alliance, graduated from Lake High School and Malone College. Stark county is closer to the snow belt, so it has more snow than Wayne county, but not as much as Summit county. I suffered through the horrible winters of 1976-1977, 1977-1978, and 1978-1979. Evil, wicked weather; just no other way to put it. December 1974 had a record snowfall that left piles of snow on the University of Akron campus into May. I noticed that our neighbor had less trouble with snow on their driveway than we did. Our drive was uneven gravel and lower than the surrounding land, while their driveway was smooth concrete and higher than the surrounding land. These details matter.

During the time I lived in Lake School District, the district went from A (smallest third) to AAA (largest third). It is one large subdivision now; the farms and Amish are largely gone. The roads have not kept up with the traffic.

More recently, when visiting my sister in Canal Fulton, I made at least one trip in 4WD the entire way, and I was always careful not to use 4WD on roads that were not snow covered.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:12 PM

Thanks for your input

Old 07-20-2020, 07:45 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
A lot of these roads are just two lanes, one in each direction. I usually wind up with locals who know every hill and turn tailgating me waiting for their chance to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio