Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Many people have lots their jobs (restaurant workers especially) and have relapsed into drugs, alcohol, depression, anxiety. All I can say is I'm glad for you, but almost everyone I know is not doing well. At all.

This is unambiguously the worst thing that's happened in my life time, and it's barely beginning. I don't know how people don't understand this yet. But we all will soon enough.
There is a lot our government could do to help alleviate those problems without forcing people to go back to work and infect themselves. We don't live in that type of country or culture currently, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times
So you're saying jobless people turn into addicts after six weeks? That's a horrible evaluation of the average adult. Wow. Lots and lots and lots of folks go 6 weeks with no job now and then and they're fine. Not addicts.
If 6 weeks jobless is the worst thing you ever experience, you are fortunate.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:06 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
So you're saying jobless people turn into addicts after six weeks? That's a horrible evaluation of the average adult. Wow. Lots and lots and lots of folks go 6 weeks with no job now and then and they're fine. Not addicts.
If 6 weeks jobless is the worst thing you ever experience, you are fortunate.
Not sure if you know this, but there already have been million of addicts there bud.

There is absolutely no reason to think this isn't just beginning. Don't take your victory laps now, friend.

"lol if the worst thing you've ever experienced is societal and economic collapse, you are fortunate!"

idiocy

Old 05-09-2020, 09:33 PM

I totally agree it is just beginning. I'm jus sayin'... 6 weeks does not an addict make... Normally.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
I hope this isn't too little too late. Dewine and his Acton sock monkey in Columbus have already done much damage to the Ohio economy. And this grand re-opening seems to me to be a little too timid. But some people's jobs will return, and I will do my best to support them. I will be back in the restaurants and I will most certainly be getting my hair cut. And I will be willing to do the mask thing when and where it is absolutely required.
There are more and more people who are starting to understand that, although this is a nasty virus and, yes, people die, there may have been an over reaction. Many have started to question whether the lockdown has had any effect on the numbers, one way or the other. We do know that the lockdown has damaged the ability of many of our citizens to provide food and shelter for their families.
With things opening up again, there will be an increase in numbers of infections. Gonna happen. Count on it. I hope Dewine doesn't get spooked by this and lead him to invoke another lockdown.
Literally every nation on earth has been affected economically by this, even nations that had no lockdowns in place at all. Had DeWine done absolutely nothing, Ohio still would've been hit hard. They didn't cause this. They merely tried to save lives, and they did... for a time, anyway.

The fact is that even states that have already opening aren't seeing things return to normal. Restaurants, retail shops, etc. are not seeing the customers return, and it's costing them a lot of money to be open. If anything, the early reopening is further hurting businesses because they have to pay staff, utilities, etc. but are unable to cover those expenses with customer income. All the reopening is accomplishing is that many, many more people will die or end up with lifetime health problems with little economic gain.

There have been claims that more people will die from a bad economy than the virus, but during the Great Depression, studies have shown that overall mortality actually decreased. While there may have been increases in things like suicide, they were more than made up for by decreases in work-related accidents, traffic accidents, crime reductions, etc. There is no reason to think it would be different this time around.

In any case, the economic crash and its consequences are not going away soon regardless of what any state's leader does. The federal government had a chance to have a South Korea, Australia or Taiwan response and outcome, but they screwed up as badly as they possibly could have. South Korea has seen 256 deaths. The US has had more than 80,000... and we're not even done with the first wave yet. As for the economy, the government could easily provide more financial assistance to the middle and lower income groups who are most struggling right now, and for the duration of the crisis, but their focus has been on corporations.

So you can blame DeWine and Acton, but you're so off base it's ridiculous. There is blame to go around, but it is not theirs.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:43 AM

there was zero chance to have a south korea or taiwan response - unless we were able to be an island somehow. our main weapons after that were PPE and quarantine. We are proving right now that a huge chunk of the population would have tolerated neither. the asian countries have a ridiculously effective surveillance system - we don't have it, and we don't want it. And they have the tools to back it up - hefty fines and jail time. We do not.

if it was so "easy" to be one of those places - don't ya think at least ONE Euro country would've figured it out? but - nope.

I agree with the rest of your post. While I think there is some "bad stuff" ahead for some people - they really need to keep it in perspective. It is - so far - just since Mid March or later for nearly everyone. 7 weeks now. A 20% unemployment rate is horrible - but it means 80% of people kept their jobs (so far). That 20% - the worst "feeling" right now for nearly all of them (not all - nearly all) is that they got paid the same or more - and didn't have to go. No gas in the car, no lunch money needed, no clothes to buy, and more. It was (so far) 7 weeks of vacation. The OVERALL future is up in the air - but that is true for every - single - person on earth. Ya don't see them all jumping off a building. Or trying to score some meth. No.

When you're out of work for 3 years - and it's 50% unemployment - and you CANT buy food even if you had the money, which you don't, and every day is STILL in question - then check back in, and I'll be more sympathetic. But I will still not be suicidal.

As I've stated on a few other posts: In all seriousness - not kidding - politics aside - if you are considering ending it all because you've lost some "thing" like - money - then please call someone. Seek professional help. Those thoughts are not normal, and not healthy. Please ask someone to help you.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:44 AM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I totally agree it is just beginning. I'm jus sayin'... 6 weeks does not an addict make... Normally.
It's way more than enough time. Some drugs are immediately addictive actually for some people. And this is not even normal life, it's literally sitting around with nothing to do except drugs.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:49 PM
on3

498 posts, read 386,392 times
If someone is in a situation where they sitting around with nothing to do another than drugs, I have to question if a suicide in such a scenario would be attributed to Covid to begin with. Even with the current situation, someone that feels they have nothing to do other than drugs has bigger problems and there is a much bigger issue at play there. There’s more to life than work and going out to a bar, and if those people don’t realize that then they need some help.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:49 PM

Yeah, kinda where i was going with that on3 - i didn't want to seem more insensitive than I already do.

But "normal" people - whatever that is - can endure a little hardship without self-destructing.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:48 PM

100 posts, read 42,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Literally every nation on earth has been affected economically by this, even nations that had no lockdowns in place at all. Had DeWine done absolutely nothing, Ohio still would've been hit hard. They didn't cause this. They merely tried to save lives, and they did... for a time, anyway.

The fact is that even states that have already opening aren't seeing things return to normal. Restaurants, retail shops, etc. are not seeing the customers return, and it's costing them a lot of money to be open. If anything, the early reopening is further hurting businesses because they have to pay staff, utilities, etc. but are unable to cover those expenses with customer income. All the reopening is accomplishing is that many, many more people will die or end up with lifetime health problems with little economic gain.

There have been claims that more people will die from a bad economy than the virus, but during the Great Depression, studies have shown that overall mortality actually decreased. While there may have been increases in things like suicide, they were more than made up for by decreases in work-related accidents, traffic accidents, crime reductions, etc. There is no reason to think it would be different this time around.

In any case, the economic crash and its consequences are not going away soon regardless of what any state's leader does. The federal government had a chance to have a South Korea, Australia or Taiwan response and outcome, but they screwed up as badly as they possibly could have. South Korea has seen 256 deaths. The US has had more than 80,000... and we're not even done with the first wave yet. As for the economy, the government could easily provide more financial assistance to the middle and lower income groups who are most struggling right now, and for the duration of the crisis, but their focus has been on corporations.

So you can blame DeWine and Acton, but you're so off base it's ridiculous. There is blame to go around, but it is not theirs.
A big difference between now and the '30s Great Depression though is the current and recent drug addiction in the U.S. some of which is related to the decline in working class opportunities. So, I wouldn't necessarily make it an apples-to-applies comparison to an era from 90 or so years ago. It's like comparing the 1930s to the 1840s.

South Korea and Taiwan are prepared to deal with viruses coming from China and both know, especially Taiwan, not believe what China says...about anything let alone a new, highly contagious virus coming from China.

Between the 3rd county you name, Australia, what did it do that the U.S. didn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio